PDA

View Full Version : CRX Skunk2 PRO-C Coilover Install/Review *FINALLY AN EF FRIENDLY SUSPENSION SETUP!*

Vteckidd
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
My CRX has had Tein Integra Type-R RA suspension on it for the last few months. The suspension was originally designed for of course a much heavier car aka the Integra. This meant heavier springs rates and the suspension was really a "track style" suspension geared toward those who wanted to road race their ITR.

At the time my CRX had some bobo 200k mile suspension on it and i had the Teins laying around so i decided to install them. I had driven the ITR that the Teins were originally on and the ride was stiff but definitely bearable for everyday use.

Well on my CRX it drove like ABSOLUTE ASS. The car felt like it was on a pogo stick, any bump in the road would send ripples through the car , my kidneys felt abused, many times on I285 i would come OUT OF MY SEAT because of where the pavement lines were. It was just very horrible ride.

One of the main problems with the 88-91 CIvic/CRX and DA is that MOST of the suspension companies out there dont make the proper length strut. Ive had bad luck with Omnipowers, KSports, Megans etc. The problem is a LOT of the companies like to use the geometry from the Integra/92+CIVIC and keep the shock length the same. The problem is the EF struts are much shorter. The result is you have to slam the coilovers on the ground to get even a MODERATE lowered ride height. this results in almost no suspension travel and a horrible ride. For many the only alternative was the Ground Control/Koni Yellow setup which is a costly $800+.

I talked to the guys over at Skunk2 (mainly Robert) and they were very knowledgeable and assured me that the ride height issue with the front struts was addressed in their coilover setup and i would be happy with the ride quality, as well as the performance. Being a long time Skunk2 supporter, i decided to give it a shot.

Suspension arrived and i got a chance to swing by Mainstream Performance to have the coilovers installed. I wont lie i was still a little leery of how it was going to turn out, but heres the results:

BEFORE:
This was the TEIN ITR RAs adjusted all the way down in the front, with still plenty of fender gap
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/Vteckidd/IMG_2095.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/Vteckidd/IMG_2098.jpg

AFTER
SKUNK2 PRO-C COILOVERS
Shortened strut, but almost no pre-loading. Rides like a CADILLAC!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/Vteckidd/CRX3-2.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/Vteckidd/CRX6-1.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/Vteckidd/CRX2-1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/Vteckidd/CRX5.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/Vteckidd/CRX1-1.jpg

FINAL ANALYSIS:
The car rides like a dream. No more bruised kidneys or getting bounced out of my seat if i drive over a pebble in the road. The car feels much more solid and planted on the road. I took some quick left and right turns to just feel it out and even on full soft the car felt just much more responsive.

Appearance wise, the car def sits a good 1in lower in the front and i havent even touched the coils yet. I still have some more room to go if i want an even lower ride. The back is noticeably lower without much work.

all in all its a very COMFORTABLE ride that i dont think really sacrifices any performance. Im not a road racer by any means, but i plan on trying to track the car in the spring next year. This is a good budget setup, i recommend these or even the non dampening PRO-S if you are looking for just a good street setup which 90% of you probably would be great with.

ATLTSX
11-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Looks good. Good seeing you today.

Mr. Clean
11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
if nothing else, they look fuckin' beastly lol.

*EFilliated*
11-04-2009, 07:26 PM
looks bad ass. but not 2 many people ballin like u lol

rbwdriven
11-04-2009, 08:13 PM
So how much did that set up run.

Also looks like you have to run the 90-91 lca correct?

Vteckidd
11-04-2009, 08:20 PM
They have a special going on I got a great deal but I can post the price

honestly 90% of people would be happy with pro-s non dampening.
Pm me for pricing and I'll pit you in touch with Robert

EJ_Allmota
11-04-2009, 10:56 PM
good shit Mike, if they can get me to the height that i am now without bottoming out in the front i might have to fucks with you and upgrade to a set.. My Omnis bottom out hard in the front.. :(

jadakid88
11-04-2009, 11:26 PM
x2
good shit Mike, if they can get me to the height that i am now without bottoming out in the front i might have to fucks with you and upgrade to a set.. My Omnis bottom out hard in the front.. :(

Vteckidd
11-04-2009, 11:30 PM
ive taken some pretty bad dips with the SKunk2 suspension and its been VERY forgiving. I used to have Omnis on my car and i know what you are talking about, they sucked at the lowest setting.

These seem to be much more forgiving, you need to take a ride in it

canadianrcis
11-04-2009, 11:40 PM
needs more drop

EJ_Allmota
11-04-2009, 11:41 PM
ive taken some pretty bad dips with the SKunk2 suspension and its been VERY forgiving. I used to have Omnis on my car and i know what you are talking about, they sucked at the lowest setting.

These seem to be much more forgiving, you need to take a ride in it
Word.. I might have to link with you to do just that..

Vteckidd
11-04-2009, 11:45 PM
needs more drop

ill lower the front a tad more, but i enjoy not having to replace my own header every month :P

Da_unknown
11-05-2009, 10:09 PM
it looks good mike...

JITB
11-05-2009, 10:16 PM
aint nothing like a good suspension...!

uproot
11-05-2009, 10:20 PM
i have skunk2 springs and I love those as well. skunk2 ftw :goodjob:

teh_mugen18
11-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Good stuff, yet again. Too bad the companies don't really pay as much attention to the older, more seasoned models.

K20Z1
11-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Junk2 :)

Greddypacked
11-06-2009, 08:24 AM
needs more drop

WHY and that's BS to go any lower. I have a 2G Eclipse and it's not even lowered and is low enough. I feel bad when you guys doing over 60 mph and hit a dead animal or something in the road... your car is f>cked. Looks good the way it is. I have had some coilovers sitting in my room for a year waiting to put them on, but wont lower it but 1" or so due to the fact I dont want to have it to low lol.

Drummerboy
11-06-2009, 09:28 AM
WHY and that's BS to go any lower. I have a 2G Eclipse and it's not even lowered and is low enough. I feel bad when you guys doing over 60 mph and hit a dead animal or something in the road... your car is f>cked. Looks good the way it is. I have had some coilovers sitting in my room for a year waiting to put them on, but wont lower it but 1" or so due to the fact I dont want to have it to low lol.

I guess that depends on opinion and wheel/tire size. I had a 2g (4g64) and it sat like a camel.

Vteckidd
11-06-2009, 09:39 AM
its low enough for me.

Greddypacked
11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I guess that depends on opinion and wheel/tire size. I had a 2g (4g64) and it sat like a camel.

You must of had the GS convertible model then. Those were the only one's w/ that engine in the 2G Eclipses. My stance on my car is nice, not to high and looks low.

KevinT707
11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Glad you like the new coilovers Mike

ill lower the front a tad more, but i enjoy not having to replace my own header every month :P
I'll take YOUR dented header when & if you sell it though. It should be better than my dented 4-1 :)

95turd
11-06-2009, 11:57 PM
i used to have sk2 on my ef and crx loved it