PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Dodge to end Viper production in July '10, new car in 2012

EJ25RUN
11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/photos/viper_poster_r.jpg

Autoblog.

At the Chrysler business plan meeting this morning, Ralph Gilles, CEO of the Dodge car brand, dropped big news on the Viper. After going back and forth for the past 18 months on what to do with Viper, Chrysler has decided that production of the current Viper will end in July 2010. Before that happens, 500 final cars will be built that, according to Gilles, will be the most special Vipers ever. Gilles explained that the company wanted to preserve the value of existing Vipers by not continuing the current generation indefinitely. He didn't give any details on what would be special with the final 500 cars.

However, Viper fans need not mourn yet. Gilles revealed that an all new car is being developed with a launch targeted in 2012! Even better the Viper will be getting some help from Chrysler's new Italian colleagues... and lets not forget about a certain Fiat outpost that uses a yellow Prancing Horse for its logo that's based in Maranello. Let's just hope they keep the Viper's elemental nature in the new generation.

In the mean time, maybe the Viper powered Devon GTX is something to get excited about.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/devonfiskerontrack_02.jpg

matthewAPM
11-04-2009, 11:23 AM
TVR :ninja:

EJ25RUN
11-04-2009, 11:38 AM

DVSRX-7
11-04-2009, 01:04 PM
not sure on wtf it is...

JDMGRNAV6
11-04-2009, 01:09 PM
its stylish, but ugly imo..

cant wait to see what we got coming..

EJ25RUN
11-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't get the responses in this thread.

So you think the Devon looks like a TVR? In a way....kinda.

Wtf it is.......A Devon GTX (Not anything to do with Chrysler)

You say it is ugly. Eeeh, with the wing on it, yes.

I like it without the wing since it almost looks like the sloped back of a Shelby Cobra Coupe.

At least this is one of the few true American supercars as the Ford GT was kitted from too many British cars and the Saleen S7 was done almost 100% by British RML.

5speed
11-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Great car, but time for its demise. They havent done anything excited with it in along time and I bet what comes next will be amazing.

matthewAPM
11-05-2009, 02:52 PM
yes, it does look like a TVR. The body lines are very much the same

primespark22
11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
that sucks,the viper is my favorite car and i hate to see it go,I first heard about this a while back thanks for the update:goodjob:

primespark22
11-05-2009, 03:37 PM
to ej25run can you also update me on the dodge demon is it even coming out anymore?

AnthonyF
11-05-2009, 03:54 PM
They said that a few times. I doubt they will actually end it..but hey..ya never know.

Makes me want to get a 2nd gen even sooner. ;)

-Ant.

On_Her_Face
11-05-2009, 04:08 PM
The Corvette will NEVER die! or at least I hope it won't

Glides
11-05-2009, 04:09 PM

The sail line is TVR....that's about it.

AnthonyF
11-05-2009, 04:10 PM
The Corvette will NEVER die! or at least I hope it won't

The Vette has a MUCH larger market b/c they sell their cars in 3 (guessing) different models with a Auto option. If Viper had a base model, yeah, they'd sell the shit out of them but...they don't and never will b/c they have standards. BURN. lol.

-Ant.

On_Her_Face
11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
The Vette has a MUCH larger market b/c they sell their cars in 3 (guessing) different models with a Auto option. If Viper had a base model, yeah, they'd sell the shit out of them but...they don't and never will b/c they have standards. BURN. lol.

-Ant.

Low standards :)

The first Viper was about as technologically advanced as a C1 Corvette :taun:

Zipper windows? Really? REALLY?

SampaGuy
11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
A Corvette is more affordable. And someone who can actually afford a Viper would probably prefer to buy something European instead. So lets hope this new car is better.

AnthonyF
11-05-2009, 07:43 PM

Zipper windows? Really? REALLY?

lol, true ture about the C1.

It came with 2 sets of windows and 2 different tops. Glass windows, plastic (like a jeep), fiberglass top and soft top. They tried to keep the weight as far down as they could.

-Ant.

bdydrpdmazda
11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Im a viper fan and this will be a big loss to american sports cars, I can see the reasoning in it though

EJ25RUN
11-05-2009, 08:51 PM

Zipper windows

Yes really. The new Viper was supposed to be the 90's Shelby Cobra.

And let's not forget that during the C4 years, the ZR1 was all engine and not much else. It wasn't until the C5 that the Vette began to seriously contest the Europeans. The C5 was 1997. The Viper GTS did it in 1996.

HypnoToad
11-05-2009, 09:22 PM
to ej25run can you also update me on the dodge demon is it even coming out anymore?

last time i saw the dodge demon it was FWD 2seater roadster with the SRT4 powerplant.

Justin51982
11-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I like that car, IMO, it's not ugly, is that what they are planning on replacing the Viper with?

Also, I do agree with the comment that someone who could afford to buy one of these, or the Viper, would buy something European instead. There is nothing like a true Euro sports car.

EJ25RUN
11-06-2009, 12:54 AM
I like that car, IMO, it's not ugly, is that what they are planning on replacing the Viper with?

No. The Devon was a car that eventually picked the Viper powerplant but it is a stand alone constructor similar to Tesla.

The next Viper will see some Italian touches but i want those to be in the form of an improved interior and electronics as well as overall engineering on the chassis, brakes, and engine.

For the character, the Viper needs to remain the V10 American sports car. It has a niche no other car can or will ever take.