PDA

View Full Version : Torco TBO?

RBS
10-30-2009, 01:37 PM
anyone ever heard of Torco TBO? its 40 weight oil, and supposedly its a special oil used for breaking in engines and helps rings seat and seal faster. i just recently read up on this and wondered if there is any real benefit with using this vs regular detergent oil to break in?

any personal experience? reviews?

serious question, no silly answers please. :screwy:

SPOOLIN
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
not needed.

Theres your serious answer.

Its aweful expensive also to run in your engine for about 10-20 minutes just to be drained right after that. .

RBS
10-30-2009, 02:14 PM
not needed.

Theres your serious answer.

Its aweful expensive also to run in your engine for about 10-20 minutes just to be drained right after that. .

it definitely is expensive...

but is there a difference using this vs regular? i would assume for the price there is a beneficial difference. :ninja:

SPOOLIN
10-30-2009, 02:20 PM
it definitely is expensive...

but is there a difference using this vs regular? i would assume for the price there is a beneficial difference. :ninja:

There may be something there, but its been done with basic raggity ass oil for years and years with ZERO issues. Break in of an engine takes 10-20 minutes of idling, and then the proper way to finish off the break in is on a dyno or atleast proceeding immediately to a street tune. No 500-1000 miles of light driving crap like that.

For example. My engine was tuned for 800+whp
I killed some rings 4 weeks ago, i was able to redo the engine keeping displacement the same and i put in new rings and bearings and pistons. I did what i always do, put a cheap filter on and a shitty jug of supertech walmart oil and let it run for 20 minutes. Then....I took it to commerce and ran my fastest times ever right off the trailor. I use Shell rotellaT oil.

you just dont want to use use synthetic which generally has all of the theoretical chemicals that hender a proper ring file in on the hone...just use a basic cheap engine oil, no features or additives except some zinc if any :).

RBS
10-30-2009, 02:23 PM
There may be something there, but its been done with basic raggity ass oil for years and years with ZERO issues. Break in of an engine takes 10-20 minutes of idling, and then the proper way to finish off the break in is on a dyno or atleast proceeding immediately to a street tune. No 500-1000 miles of light driving crap like that.

For example. My engine was tuned for 800+whp
I killed some rings 4 weeks ago, i was able to redo the engine keeping displacement the same and i put in new rings and bearings and pistons. I did what i always do, put a cheap filter on and a shitty jug of supertech walmart oil and let it run for 20 minutes. Then....I took it to commerce and ran my fastest times ever right off the trailor. I use Shell rotellaT oil.

you just dont want to use use synthetic which generally has all of the theoretical chemicals that hender a proper ring file in on the hone...just use a basic cheap engine oil, no features or additives except some zinc if any :).

well said :goodjob:

kudos.

jody754
10-30-2009, 05:41 PM
were in the process of buiding my engine and i had a guy that use to work for joe gibbs racing do my head and i asked him about the JGR break in oil and he said it was a money thing it wasnt needed and thats coming from a guy that use to work for them so spoolin is deff correct 30 wt super tech is the way

RBS
10-30-2009, 05:42 PM
were in the process of buiding my engine and i had a guy that use to work for joe gibbs racing do my head and i asked him about the JGR break in oil and he said it was a money thing it wasnt needed and thats coming from a guy that use to work for them so spoolin is deff correct 30 wt super tech is the way

yeah, ive always used the cheapo oil and filter for all the engines ive done. i was just curious as ive never seen this " break in oil " and wondered if it was any better than before :???: