PDA

View Full Version : wheels locking up??

VickNotic
10-29-2009, 11:12 AM
so was driving to store this mourning and all of a sudden both my wheels locked up..

seems like it's pressing on brake by itself and not letting go??

was driving til i got home and smelt my brake pads burning up cause i had to do what i hada do to get home which was 2 1/2miles so what yal think it is..

i'm clueless, could my abs just lock it up all of a sudden or what?
and it's a civic coupe ex nothing special..

Barefoot
10-29-2009, 12:20 PM
disable abs and drive again see if it does it.

report back.

hmong_Spec
10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
man that sucks, 2 mile. take out the fuse and see what happens.

RBS
10-29-2009, 01:12 PM
you have a ghost in your abs pump.

VickNotic
10-29-2009, 07:01 PM
ding ding ding, my car dont have ABS ... so what else could it be?

RBS
10-29-2009, 07:25 PM
i swear in your original post you said you have ABS.

if you dont have ABS, and you didnt press the brakes.. then well, your tranny must have locked up.

OR, both your wheel bearings just decided to lock up on you

Barefoot
10-29-2009, 07:45 PM

if you dont have ABS, and you didnt press the brakes.. then well, your tranny must have locked up.

u aint crazy i saw abs in there also. thats all i can think of also.

SampaGuy
10-29-2009, 07:47 PM
he didn't know himself that he didn't have abs

anyways, which wheels are locking up? front or rear, both sides? all of them? if his tranny locked up he wouldn't be moving.

Hektik
10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Where you, are had you resently, touched the brake pedal? Or where you only on the gas?

Have you bled your brakes recently? or done anyother brake work(pads, calipers, booster).

have you pissed of any ghosts? lol. jkjk

JJSPEC Racing
10-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Check to make sure the brake pedal is returning all the way back as it can slightly be applied and the slight drag of the brakes will heat the fluid and it is not able to return to the master cyl since the brakes are slightly applied and the extra heat causes the fluid to expand and make the calipers apply the pads. After a while of sitting the fluid cools off and returns to normal volume and the brakes release themselves. If the pedal is returning fully you need to get the system looked at by a professional since braking system failure can kill you. Plus, that drag is killing your gas mileage and uses valuable horsepower. Good luck with it.

VickNotic
10-29-2009, 08:10 PM

you might be right on the wheel bearings though, cause i've been driving my car with a messed up wheel bearing and i guess it's taken it's last toll THat May have been my problem then.

but then again, i drove it and it runs like normal?? i'll cehck again if i have ABS lol

seanrg1116
11-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Check to make sure the brake pedal is returning all the way back as it can slightly be applied and the slight drag of the brakes will heat the fluid and it is not able to return to the master cyl since the brakes are slightly applied and the extra heat causes the fluid to expand and make the calipers apply the pads. After a while of sitting the fluid cools off and returns to normal volume and the brakes release themselves. If the pedal is returning fully you need to get the system looked at by a professional since braking system failure can kill you. Plus, that drag is killing your gas mileage and uses valuable horsepower. Good luck with it.

this man speaks the truth i had a hatch that did this and i ended up replacing the whole f'n system to fix it, I tried pads rotors, calipers, prop valve, booster master, and then it worked great.

start with the master cylinder, the pushrod from the pedel/booster may need adjustment i.e. go to honda because brakes-r-us places dont have the required tools to fix or check the clearence

g/l

JJSPEC Racing
11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
this man speaks the truth i had a hatch that did this and i ended up replacing the whole f'n system to fix it, I tried pads rotors, calipers, prop valve, booster master, and then it worked great.

start with the master cylinder, the pushrod from the pedel/booster may need adjustment i.e. go to honda because brakes-r-us places dont have the required tools to fix or check the clearence

g/l

Thanks. I worked at the dealership 18 years so I know one or two things, lol! I have one of the checker tools since when I set up a race car you dont want any brake drag. Did you get the problem resolved?

SUBY_RUE
11-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks. I worked at the dealership 18 years so I know one or two things, lol! I have one of the checker tools since when I set up a race car you dont want any brake drag. Did you get the problem resolved?

Rear hub and bearings maybe? it would be weird for both to lockup at the same time though.

Init2winit
11-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Rubber brake hoses could be collapsing, although, it would be odd for both to do so.