PDA

View Full Version : LAG

TrackReady
10-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Sup all.

I just installed a Turbo Inlet and Short RAM on my MazdaSpeed6. Now i have tons of lag from 1500-3500RPM. It feels as if I have around 100hp, then around 3800rpm I have full power. Any Ideas? I have checked for leaks

Prior to installing. My turbo kicked in around 1800rpm

Thanks

dorin48
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
What brand is the short ram??

Most likely the short ram is made incorrectly. The mazda M.A.F's are very sensitive. If you drive around a little longer you'll probably get C.E.L.

Your symptoms point to that. I had a speed3, same problem but I also had a really hard miss under load and high rpms.

TrackReady
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
What brand is the short ram??

Most likely the short ram is made incorrectly. The mazda M.A.F's are very sensitive. If you drive around a little longer you'll probably get C.E.L.

Your symptoms point to that. I had a speed3, same problem but I also had a really hard miss under load and high rpms.

I am using the CP-E Short Ram that uses the stock MAF controller. The Turbo inlet is COBB Tuning

CTS-VD
10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
are you sure you don't have any boost leaks? aside from boost leaks timing can make a car feel laggy, but if you had no problem before I certainly would look at everything you touched and everything around it.

do you have a boost leak tester?

and are there any other mods?

CTS-VD
10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
and by boost leak, I mean to test even on the intake side, an unmetered air leak there behind the MAF on the low pressure side will cause a lean condition, which obviously is bad for your engine.

hope some of this helps

TrackReady
10-27-2009, 09:33 PM
are you sure you don't have any boost leaks? aside from boost leaks timing can make a car feel laggy, but if you had no problem before I certainly would look at everything you touched and everything around it.

do you have a boost leak tester?

and are there any other mods?

No other Mods, I do not know how to do a boost leak check.

CTS-VD
10-27-2009, 10:20 PM
well if visual inspection isn't working and you can't hear any hissing from vacuum leaks a pressure tester is a must have for turbo owners.

just google "boost leak tester" and you'll see what I"m talking about. I do recommend one with a gauge because with a boost leak tester, you pressure the entire engine, even bottom end if your car has a pcv system that ties back into the intake. you'll want one with a gauge so you don't over pressurize the system. I recommend no more than 10 psi for a pressure test even if you run higher boost pressures than that you have to remember the boost leak test will put pressure every where on gaskets and the back of seals. it will not hurt anything as long as you don't over charge the system.

so once you have your boost leak tester, you remove the coupler on the MAF and clamp the tester in it's place. use compressed air to pump up the system and listen for air leaks. and repair, and retest. and that's it.

If you own a turbo car you should own a boost leak tester. I can't tell you how valuable mine is to me

hope this has been helpful

CTS-VD
10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
don't forget you'll need to make sure you get one that fits in MAF coupler or a silicone adapter to make it work.

good luck

AnthonyF
10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I believe your car is very temperamental. Try joining a Speed 6 site and asking them. You might need to be re-tuned for the little bit extra air flow.

-Ant.

dorin48
10-28-2009, 08:45 AM
What is the intake diameter where the MAF is located? A lot of companies released early version intakes that are 3" dia. The MAF hates that with a passion so they redesigned to 2.75 and fixed the issue. Unfortunately the old versions still float around in distributors' warehouses and get sold. They were supposed to send them back. I had that problem. Another potential problem is too much vibration against the wheel well. Double check your install to make sure a hose clamp hasn't come loose and that the piping is secure.

TrackReady
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I reset the ECU today, and the Car is back to pulling strong. Thanks for the Help. I guess the Car has to relearn my driving style now.