PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Shotgun or AR-15?

TheGodfather
10-27-2009, 02:16 AM
For those who know the gun market better than myself, which is a better buy right now?

It seems the Bushmaster AR's have come down alot in price. I can get one for under $900 and have really wanted one ever since I shot one with my uncle. I love the feel and shoot of the gun, plus it looks menacing for home defense.

The same can be argued for a shotgun, plus the price is alot less. I'm on the fence, I had decided on a shotgun a while back but never "pulled the trigger" on it....(lammmmeeee.)

Thanks in advance.

TSiFTW
10-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Your aim can suck more with a shotgun and they still wont get up.

81911SC
10-27-2009, 02:31 AM
What does "look menacing for home defense" mean? Aren't you in New York?

StreetHazard
10-27-2009, 07:04 AM
An AR-15 is not "home defense" unless you want all your neighbors ducking bullets that come through the siding and sheet rock. You could shoot through several homes with an AR, with an AK-47 you can shoot through cement cinder blocks!

Even a strong handgun could fire through several homes or apartments like a .40 and especially a .357, you could fire into the parking lot or driveway without leaving the living room.

home defense get a 12 gauge with some good 00 buckshot, it will make huge holes close distance and its range is limited to about 50 yards (if that)

if you still want to reach out just buy rifled slugs and keep them in a sidesaddle on the shotgun when and (if) you ever need them, I can hit a target around the distance of a football field with my remington 870

this guy is alot better than me so it is possible at 200 yards and its with a smoothbore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDWEB3MaYs&feature=related

StreetHazard
10-27-2009, 07:29 AM
here is a great link to another forum I am a member of...

this link itself probably deserves its own thread, here is great information about the "wound" profiles you can achieve with various loads with a 12 guage

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109958&sid=1d2cfbd468d1c204a9e7199813f2320e

DirtyMechanic
10-27-2009, 07:38 AM
no hes not. hes in tampa,fl. i still dont know why he protrays thats hes this NYC badass.

patrick4588
10-27-2009, 12:01 PM
buy both :)

Vteckidd
10-27-2009, 12:07 PM
shotgun, under your chin, pull trigger

problem solved

Truegiant
10-27-2009, 12:34 PM
take the time to read the entire thread danny made about home defense. Danny, others, and myself put up good arguments either way. AR is not practical for home defense. In my experience people who rely on something looking cool or sounding cool have spent there in the wrong place. TRAINGING is the single most important factor when it comes to home defense and personal defense.

You will not learn the same two/ten skills when you attended different programs. The idea is to take 4-5 things you liked from the instructors course of material and practice the shit out of it. Trash what you hate and keep what works. Eventually you will come up with a style that suits you best.

Anywho..

ranger250x
10-27-2009, 12:42 PM
for home defense get a shotgun. it doesnt matter how menacing it looks, but if thats what you want...is this menacing???

bdydrpdmazda
10-27-2009, 12:44 PM
AR 15

Justin51982
10-27-2009, 02:17 PM
take the time to read the entire thread danny made about home defense. Danny, others, and myself put up good arguments either way. AR is not practical for home defense. In my experience people who rely on something looking cool or sounding cool have spent there in the wrong place. TRAINGING is the single most important factor when it comes to home defense and personal defense.

You will not learn the same two/ten skills when you attended different programs. The idea is to take 4-5 things you liked from the instructors course of material and practice the shit out of it. Trash what you hate and keep what works. Eventually you will come up with a style that suits you best.

Anywho..

I agree, get a shot gun, save the money, very reliable, and the perp will find anything you shoot him with menacing while they are dying from the wounds.

TheGodfather
10-27-2009, 09:28 PM

What does that have to do with shit? You can own a gun in your house in NY.

Possession:
Rifles and Shotguns: There is no state licensing requirement for the possession of a rifle or shotgun, although any person convicted of a felony or other serious offense and any person who "has been certified not suitable to possess a rifle or shotgun" (mentally incompetent) is prohibited from possession. A person who has been convicted of a felony or other serious offense may obtain a certificate of good conduct which will then permit him to possess rifles and shotguns. Generally, it is unlawful for anyone under the age of 16 to possess any firearm; however, a rifle or shotgun may be possessed by a person between the ages of 12 and 16 who is engaged in supervised target shooting on a range. A minor at least 14 years of age may hunt with any rifle or shotgun, provided he has a valid hunting license and is accompanied by his parent, guardian or other parentally-designated adult who also holds a valid hunting license.

Idiot redneck.

no hes not. hes in tampa,fl. i still dont know why he protrays thats hes this NYC badass.

Who the fuck are you? I'm 100% sure your dumbass doesn't know me, so how about shutting the fuck up?

And vtecckidd, good contribution. I didn't see that coming at all you dumbass.

As for the serious responses, I appreciate the feedback. The shotgun really does satisfy more of what I need, I just think the idea behind the AR-15 and being able to put someone down without doing damage to outside of the person. I'm in small quarters and of course worry about damaging my home. I do understand the AR will go through other places too, so I guess that ruins my whole thought process. I'd rather damage my own place than harm an innocent tenant.

I know that doesn't much matter when it comes to defending yourself and loved ones, but just something to think about now before it come to that time.

I'll read the thread streethazard, thanks for the link.

Danny
10-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Keep in mind that no matter what you choose they are all going to go through walls and end up in the neighboring apartment if you miss (and sometimes if you dont miss). Yes each one will preform differently, but the bottom line is walls are softer than humans; so if you want to kill humans you have to accept the fact that you can kill walls too.

Personally one thing bothers me about long guns and home defense, the fact that they are long can make weapon retention, operating doors, helping loved ones, multiple times more difficult.

When making the purchase be sure to consider what else you want to do with the weapon. Most of us dont have the luxury of having a strictly home defense gun. If gettin out on the weekends and shooting a AR with your buddies sounds more appealing than going out and shooting a shotgun, then maybe you should seriously consider an AR.

Shotgun, pistol, and carbines are all effective home defense guns, in the right hands. Buy the one you that you will get the most trigger time behind. Just a thought.

DirtyMechanic
10-27-2009, 11:38 PM
just cocking a shotgun can scare away most intruders. go to a gun store that has both a ar-15 and a just about any shotgun. have them cock the guns for you... the shotgun definitely has a nice sound to it. and everyone knows what its sounds like. ar not so much.

patrick4588
10-28-2009, 12:02 AM
just cocking a shotgun can scare away most intruders. go to a gun store that has both a ar-15 and a just about any shotgun. have them cock the guns for you... the shotgun definitely has a nice sound to it. and everyone knows what its sounds like. ar not so much.
:lmfao::lmfao:

SiRed94
10-28-2009, 02:18 AM
One more vote for shotgun. An AR is no good for home defense for a number of reasons. Maneuverability in close quarters, ballistics, etc. Shotgun with a pistol grip and 18" barrel is great, but you've got to have an adjustable beam flashlight, bore-sighted to the gun, so the 00 Buckshot spread covers everything that the light touches. However, buckshot will still penetrate beyond the perpetrator and through walls easily.

Danny
10-28-2009, 08:07 AM
why shoot him when you can sit there and stroke..err...cock..err... rack your shotgun at him :D He will instantly wet his pants and curl up in the fetal position. Or start blasting holes in your general direction while he makes a run for it.

SiRed94
10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Yes, which is why I am going to create a sound-emitting device that sounds like a shotgun chambering a round. I want intruders to be able to escape unscathed, so they are able to commit other heinous crimes.

cbr900rrguy
10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
why don't you just get a pistol?

ranger250x
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Get the Taurus Judge. 410 shot shell or 45 LC. and a little easier to manuver in a small apartment than a carbine or shotgun.

patrick4588
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
i wouldnt mind getting a judge. those are pretty sweet.

Danny
10-28-2009, 06:04 PM
have you seen the box o truth tests on the 410 side of the judge? Scarry ineffective against people.

I wouldnt mind having one though, just seems cool.

ranger250x
10-28-2009, 11:57 PM
care to share a link? always thought the shotshell was to be followed buy a long colt.

BB1_Luda
10-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Shotgun or some .45, .40, 9mm JHP's (whatever you carry)

Danny
10-29-2009, 08:16 AM
judge http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Z33_kid
10-30-2009, 11:46 PM
hmmm what bout a .22 ? some m4 ar15 lookalikes are out there

SiRed94
10-31-2009, 05:28 PM
hmmm what bout a .22 ? some m4 ar15 lookalikes are out there

LoL, yes. That would make a great home defense weapon.

TheGodfather
11-02-2009, 11:02 AM
That judge is freaking sweet.

I already have a Beretta PX4 Storm .45 ACP. So I'm set for handguns.

PSINXS
11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
An AR-15 is not "home defense" unless you want all your neighbors ducking bullets that come through the siding and sheet rock. You could shoot through several homes with an AR, with an AK-47 you can shoot through cement cinder blocks!

Even a strong handgun could fire through several homes or apartments like a .40 and especially a .357, you could fire into the parking lot or driveway without leaving the living room.

home defense get a 12 gauge with some good 00 buckshot, it will make huge holes close distance and its range is limited to about 50 yards (if that)

if you still want to reach out just buy rifled slugs and keep them in a sidesaddle on the shotgun when and (if) you ever need them, I can hit a target around the distance of a football field with my remington 870

this guy is alot better than me so it is possible at 200 yards and its with a smoothbore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDWEB3MaYs&feature=related

THIS. if u live in an apartment or have neighbors in close vicinity, you will probably be sending bullets into someones bedroom.

and i f you are in NY, have fun in jail. hope you arent in the city.

PSINXS
11-03-2009, 09:43 AM
LoL, yes. That would make a great home defense weapon.

friend of mine has an AR-22. would work well for home, but lacks real stopping power.

SiRed94
11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
would work well for home

No. Horrible home defense weapon in every aspect, other than over-penetration.

Glides
11-04-2009, 07:35 AM
If you want to look cool....and be dead after the fight, get an AR-15.
If you want to finish an intruder and have your neighbors thank you, get a shotgun. Short a barrell as possible so you don't catch it on lamps, your wifes head, on curtains or anything else that is in the room when you draw bead on someone. Also, remember, there is nothing more ominous than the rachet clack of a shotgun slide in the dark.

Truegiant
11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
judge http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Neat little write up with interesting photos. I was completely surprised with the 45lc. I expected all the above results on the .410 stuff. I have done several tests of my own with all shotgun loads.

OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES AND EVERYBODY HAS ONE!

Racking a shotgun is the worst home deterent in my opinion. I have said it before and I will say it again. If your in my home, I will already have my weapon loaded and be in defense posture. I am not going to rack my slide and let the bad guy know where I am. It may scare the unexpecting; however, if the intruder is planning on killing now he knows where your at and you no longer have the element of surprise.

If I wanted to scare an attacker I would get a dog. If I wanted to kill an attacker I would get training on how to kill an attacker. While you can be effective and kill most anything with a small caliber weapon, training is what will keep you alive and in the fight!

On a side note danny. I am working on acquiring some more silhouttes for our training up in the mountains. I am also working on getting a hold of a buddy who has a junk yard with some old trailers in it to do some MOUT scenarios.

Danny
11-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Neat little write up with interesting photos. I was completely surprised with the 45lc. I expected all the above results on the .410 stuff. I have done several tests of my own with all shotgun loads.

OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES AND EVERYBODY HAS ONE!

Racking a shotgun is the worst home deterent in my opinion. I have said it before and I will say it again. If your in my home, I will already have my weapon loaded and be in defense posture. I am not going to rack my slide and let the bad guy know where I am. It may scare the unexpecting; however, if the intruder is planning on killing now he knows where your at and you no longer have the element of surprise.

If I wanted to scare an attacker I would get a dog. If I wanted to kill an attacker I would get training on how to kill an attacker. While you can be effective and kill most anything with a small caliber weapon, training is what will keep you alive and in the fight!

On a side note danny. I am working on acquiring some more silhouttes for our training up in the mountains. I am also working on getting a hold of a buddy who has a junk yard with some old trailers in it to do some MOUT scenarios.

Dont forget racking the shotgun as a scare tactic in addition to the allready above listed tactical disadvantages you are also either throwing a perfectly good shell on the ground or not storing your weapon with its maximum capacity loaded. Both of which are a bad thing IMO.

re:side note
Sounds awesome. I got a small roll of silhouettes, ill try and get my hands on some more.

Truegiant
11-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I am not talking about the paper targets. I am talking about the hard back plastic silhouttes to mount the paper targets to. They work great on some string/stick to setup shooting lanes.

ahmonrah
11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
handgun, or shotgun. if someone is bold enough to break into your house, attempt to carjack you, attempt to rob you...they do not deserve warning, that you are not the one to victimize. choose whatever weapon you are comfy with using that will STOP THE THREAT effectively.

if you're lethal with a spoon, and confident you can fend off or stop an attacker with one, then by your lead, mr godfather.

chosing a tool that may be used to take a life, while saving yours or others, is not an image based thing. if you plan on being menacing, just buy this.
http://www.militarysupplies.biz/images/Gallery/Gold%20Desert%20Eagle.jpg

but seriously, think about your surroundings(home, biz,etc.), then your personal skill set with weapons, your hand size especially, the possible scenarios(sp) that you may be involved in, based on your daily routine/environment and what problems may arise in said routine. and choose you weapon accordingly.