PDA

View Full Version : Wiring help

paintballer4ya13
10-25-2009, 09:37 PM
First off I have just bought a Kicker KX850.2 and a Kicker 12" L7 4ohm sub.

I haven't had much experience with kicker and was wondering what would be the best way to wire the sub to the amp. 4ohm, 2ohm, bridged?

I already have a 2 gauge power supply and ground, rcas and remote wires ran.

Thanks in advance and please don't flame me too bad.

-Joshua

lovinmydodge
10-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Well for an amp that is 4 ohm bridged only and 2 ohm sterio your really stuck with either wiring the sub down to 2 ohms or running each voice coil to each side of the amp. but your sub will wire at 2 ohm or 8 ohms or 4 ohms x2 so .... thats about the best you will be able to do. you would get the best out of all that if you had a monoblock amp. something thats 1 ohm stable. but 500 rms or so is about the best your going to get to that sub. I suggest a smaller box. something thats maybe 2 cubes at about 38 htz. thats going to give you the loudest bump and still perform and sound well in all styles of music.

DynamicSound
10-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Yeah, you will only be able to get about 425rms to that sub with that amp because that amp is not a good match. You can either wire each voil coil to each channel of the amp or run it in series and bridge the amp and run at 8ohms. With that amp, you actually needed the dual 2ohm sub, not the dual 4ohm.

paintballer4ya13
10-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Would I be better off using a 1500 watt MA Audio monoblock amp? Ill get the model number up when I get back to the house, but Im fairly sure its 1 ohm stable.

DynamicSound
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Would I be better off using a 1500 watt MA Audio monoblock amp? Ill get the model number up when I get back to the house, but Im fairly sure its 1 ohm stable.

This is what you need to find that will deliver the right power...

The sub is a dual 4ohm, so it can be wired to 8ohms or 2ohms. So, you need to find an amp that will give you the power you want @ 2ohms. So any amp you look for, you will need to get the power at 2ohms.

lovinmydodge
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
yeah. that 1500 watt monoblock will most likely give off a little more power to your sub. its nice to do kicker amp/sub combo's but that amp would pair off nicely to 2 of the subs you have. but I can surely say that the monoblock would probably give more power to that sub. With out knowing the exact amp i can't say for sure. but i would say a decent powered amp would bring that sub to life.