PDA

View Full Version : FC RX-7 Exhaust.

Sunkenkarma
10-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Hey all, Im looking into getting exhaust on my '88 RX-7 and was wondering, Would it be better to keep the Dual exhaust thats on it now? or switch it to single? I know the dual would cost more to get an exhaust for, but which would be better performance wise?

Thanks.

slostang
10-25-2009, 12:21 AM
the answer is yes. you're welcome.

Sunkenkarma
10-25-2009, 12:28 AM
the answer is yes. you're welcome.

Is the Yes for the first, second or third question?

tdurr
10-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey all, Im looking into getting exhaust on my '88 RX-7 and was wondering, Would it be better to keep the Dual exhaust thats on it now? or switch it to single? I know the dual would cost more to get an exhaust for, but which would be better performance wise?

Thanks.

No, Single, corksport. Keep the aux. ports.

p.s. I must worn you, i dont like dual exhaust on car so my answer is biased.

HypnoToad
10-25-2009, 12:41 AM
i had the dual style catback on my FC,sounded good and looked good.

slostang
10-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Is the Yes for the first, second or third question?

yes to all.

Sunkenkarma
10-25-2009, 12:54 AM
i had the dual style catback on my FC,sounded good and looked good.

Yeah I personally think the Dual would look better opposed to the Single, But Im curious as to which is better performance wise?

kain
10-25-2009, 01:20 PM
number one, get a full exhaust. from the engine back. 2nd, ditch those crappy 5th and 6th port actuators, rods, and inserts.

you car will be more zoom zoom. also try and getting an safc is you feel so inclined.

in fact, i have a decent catback i will let you HAVE. its an old school hks by what i can tell, is a dual tip, but needs some welding to get it to bolt up to the stock cat or anything. just needs a flange welded on it.

tdurr
10-25-2009, 02:01 PM
number one, get a full exhaust. from the engine back. 2nd, ditch those crappy 5th and 6th port actuators, rods, and inserts.

you car will be more zoom zoom. also try and getting an safc is you feel so inclined.

in fact, i have a decent catback i will let you HAVE. its an old school hks by what i can tell, is a dual tip, but needs some welding to get it to bolt up to the stock cat or anything. just needs a flange welded on it.

stop telling ppl bull shit. The ports add some low end tq that rx7's dont have w/o them. if you pull them out and cant tell a diff that means that they werent working properly. You would want to get pineapple port inserts for 50. if you really wanted the best performance.

but the first part of the post is correct.

G'd[UP]
10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
yea get the racing beat true dual exhaust. sounds so good. any single exhaust is gonna be way too damn loud, lol i use to have a corksport but sold it cuz i couldnt stand it. the racing beat has a nice tone and gives good low end and some up top

kain
10-25-2009, 03:15 PM
stop telling ppl bull shit. The ports add some low end tq that rx7's dont have w/o them. if you pull them out and cant tell a diff that means that they werent working properly. You would want to get pineapple port inserts for 50. if you really wanted the best performance.

but the first part of the post is correct.

the first part as well as the 2nd part. first, the inserts from pineapple are JUNK. plain and simple. also, the inserts and rods hinder airflow to the point where its noticeable.

i had mine working flawlessly. i yanked em out, glued up the holes for the rods, blocked everything off, and noticed NO drop in low end. how much low end you gonna lose? o well. 5 lbs of torque is worth it for the 10 extra hp all over the board.

tdurr
10-25-2009, 03:33 PM
;38442718"]yea get the racing beat true dual exhaust. sounds so good. any single exhaust is gonna be way too damn loud, lol i use to have a corksport but sold it cuz i couldnt stand it. the racing beat has a nice tone and gives good low end and some up top
true, if you want a quiter deeper tone then rb ture dual is the way to go, if u dont mind a loud rotary exhaust then you would want a single exhaust.

the first part as well as the 2nd part. first, the inserts from pineapple are JUNK. plain and simple. also, the inserts and rods hinder airflow to the point where its noticeable.

i had mine working flawlessly. i yanked em out, glued up the holes for the rods, blocked everything off, and noticed NO drop in low end. how much low end you gonna lose? o well. 5 lbs of torque is worth it for the 10 extra hp all over the board.

Yea not 10 hp, but do you have evidence to support the JUNK? statment? jw. :cheers:

David88vert
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
;38442718"]yea get the racing beat true dual exhaust. sounds so good. any single exhaust is gonna be way too damn loud, lol i use to have a corksport but sold it cuz i couldnt stand it. the racing beat has a nice tone and gives good low end and some up top

X2 - Racing Beat is the best way to go on a NA FC. Borla is ok, but RB is preferred.

Keep the 5th/6th ports, unless you have ported the motor and are making significantly more power than stock already.

kain
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
true, if you want a quiter deeper tone then rb ture dual is the way to go, if u dont mind a loud rotary exhaust then you would want a single exhaust.

Yea not 10 hp, but do you have evidence to support the JUNK? statment? jw. :cheers:

hm... junk statement?

my engine builder came down and we got to it.

s5 rx7
apexi afc
stock exhaust (http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=461424&highlight=drop+in+filter#) manifold
RB downpipe
straight pipe
RB catback
HKS drop in filter
removed 6 port sleeves

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1255/dynoyt.jpg

btw, this car does not exist any more. someone fucking wrecked it in 2005 and i ditched that one i have now.

DVSRX-7
10-26-2009, 09:04 PM
if you dont wnat something toooooo loud then do the dual, check RB for there true duals, or do what Tim (tdurr) said get the corksport setup.. but its all on what you want

man
10-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Keep it stock

eraser4g63
10-26-2009, 10:00 PM
If it is an NA no matter what you do it will be loud, wait let me rephrase that. If it is an RX-7 with anything other than stock exhaust it will be loud. Call Rob Down at R&D Automotive, He did the custom exhaust on my FC and on Trin4u FC. He uses Magna Flow mufflers and they sound great.

kain
10-26-2009, 10:29 PM
hes already got a catback.just needs some welding and whatnot.

its a pretty quiet unit.

eraser4g63
10-26-2009, 10:38 PM

its a pretty quiet unit.

Yeah I sent him a PM a min ago.

Sunkenkarma
10-26-2009, 10:47 PM

its a pretty quiet unit.

Yeah, Kain hooked me up with the catback, so all I need is it welded on, Appeciate it man. So Hopefully it will be on soon enough, anyone know any places that do welding north of atl?

kain
10-26-2009, 11:57 PM
idk. most muffler shops will be able to do it.