PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods just wondering..How does this sound for a nice budget build?

teh_mugen18
10-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm going to somewhat rebuild an LS block, and it should be able to handle becoming that of an LSvtec that's going to be a whole lot more reliable than my previous one was... But, i wanted to post up what i was gonna do to it and get opinions as to how reliable it looks like itll be. One shop told me that i could possibly rev it to 8k or 8,500 if i wanted but idk about all that... The stuff written in bold is what im going to put on this next one that i previously didnt install on my old lsvtec, R.I.P.:(

LS block
-stock rods
-stock low CR pistons
-oem main bearings
-ARP rod bolts
-GSR oil pump
-hone cylinders
-new piston rings
-GSR water pump/timing belt
-Balancing Bottom end
-shot-peening LS rods

Cylinder head
-P72, fully rebuilt
-new valve seals
-re-ground valve seats
-Golden Eagle conv kit

I thought about trying to get my hands on some b16 pistons just to have a little bit of extra fun with it ;) but idk. lol.

punkr6
10-24-2009, 11:53 AM
-possibly hone cylinders
-possibly new piston rings

remove possibly...

all-mota
10-24-2009, 11:54 AM
buy some pr3 pistons or type r pistons because if you ever decide to put cams in the car the ls pistons don't have the right size valve reliefs and could cause problems.

and for the money the rs machine cast type r style pistons are the best bang for your buck and come with rings. bore it over and do everything right the first time and you will be much happier with the results

teh_mugen18
10-24-2009, 11:56 AM
bore it over and do everything right the first time and you will be much happier with the results

lol, yeah im a definite believer in that but this whole vtakk thing is all still sorta new to me and im learnin :D

Black4DrEK
10-24-2009, 12:42 PM
dude i got some B16 pistons you NEED to throw in that bad boy!! LMK

and also HONE/new rings is a MUST... did u not do that last time??

RBS
10-24-2009, 01:16 PM
ls, shotpeened rods, arp bolts, jdm itr pistons, balanced bottom, gsr oilpump/waterpump/belt, stock gsr head with itr cams..

youll be happy

SandM
10-24-2009, 03:07 PM
i see you put the oil pump up there..... yes, you listen to me......

Vteckidd
10-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Hone is subjective, if it has crosshatches theres no need to hone.

I would personally overbore any motor just so you know you have a good starting point.

Everything looks fine, except the pistons, i would listen to the few that chimed in, get some B16 pistons or ITR pistons, they are only $150 new so its worth it

teh_mugen18
10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
and also HONE/new rings is a MUST... did u not do that last time??

Actually, what i did last time was i pretty much just got the Golden Eagle kit and simply threw it together while the engine was still in the car and got it running like that.

SPOOLIN
10-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Hone is subjective, if it has crosshatches theres no need to hone.

I would personally overbore any motor just so you know you have a good starting point.

Everything looks fine, except the pistons, i would listen to the few that chimed in, get some B16 pistons or ITR pistons, they are only $150 new so its worth it

We i would personally "hone" any engine build, regardless of cross hatch if its of unknown age, they can just hit it once to freshen it up.

teh_mugen18
10-24-2009, 05:13 PM

well i think ill keep my stock pistons in it, only because i still want the option to boost later on so ill keep it low compression. Plus, i was PLENTY happy with the amount of power my engine made back when it was running and it was all oem in the bottom.:bump:

Black4DrEK
10-24-2009, 06:03 PM
WELL when u get this thing runing AGAIN!!... give me a holla!

Black4DrEK
10-24-2009, 06:03 PM
o yea

GL with the build el o el

Starrfire
10-25-2009, 03:29 PM
stock Ls pistons, so you wanna make 150 whp huh? maybe even less...

teh_mugen18
10-28-2009, 12:19 PM
stock Ls pistons, so you wanna make 150 whp huh? maybe even less...

Lol. let me add acouple more things to that list...

*Balancing the bottom-end
*shot-peening the rods

I dont really mind too much making ~150 or less whp, since the motor is gonna be low comp and i expect it to see a little bit of boost later; the power will be UPPED once the FI is added...:cheers:

all-mota
10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Lol. let me add acouple more things to that list...

*Balancing the bottom-end
*shot-peening the rods

I dont really mind too much making ~150 or less whp, since the motor is gonna be low comp and i expect it to see a little bit of boost later; the power will be UPPED once the FI is added...:cheers:

why not put the pistons in anyway and have more fun while it is na you can boost it with higher compression it's all in the tune man