PDA

View Full Version : Misc What's the meaning?

BluesClues
10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
So, lately I have been thinking what is our purpose in this life we live? I mean you hear so many people say we all have a purpose in life. Well, what's that purpose? Am I put here to help others, to invent a cure for some "incurable" disease, to save lives, to invent something that could change the world and the way that we live? As a child I have always had a dream that when I get older, I am going to help others and make a great impact in others lives. I mean, I still feel that way, but often wonder exactly how am I going to do this. I've gone from wanting to be a nurse, to an accountant, now a psychologist. I've decided that I want to get my Psy D. (Doctorate with less years and no research required) and practice Speech Language and Pathology. Helping those that have problems communicating verbally and working with them on their communication skills (helping them to communicate with others). Is this my purpose? What about everyone else out there striving to be their best but don't know what that is? There is a song that best describes what I am talking about and it's Successful by Drake. So many people say they want to be successful whether it be owning a car shop that gets their own show on tv or just recognized by many, or a big time lawyer that finally represents a celebrity and gets tv time like Johnny Cochran, or a plastic surgeon for the rich and makes 6-7 figures a year. Whatever our dreams are, how do we know that's really meant for us? I know this question is probably impossible to answer, but this is just something that goes through my mind. I guess I am more worried about making the wrong decision or not finding something that is meant for me. I mean I want to be successful in whatever I do, but I also want to be happy with what I am doing as well as making others happy. Does any of this make sense? (My mind is my worst enemy lol)

Discuss

sierra
10-24-2009, 12:17 AM
You're welcome to read one of my books on this matter... and welcome to keep it as long as you'd like... and pass it on to someone who can benefit from it when you're done with it.

PSINXS
10-24-2009, 08:30 AM
depends ont he type of person youare.

religiously i have an idea what our purpose is based on wha ti was brought up learning. then i have a view if that werent actually the case. but i'm not cut and dry on it.

bdydrpdmazda
10-24-2009, 08:33 AM
too deep for me :no:

02SloWrx
10-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Everyone comes to a stage where they think whats the point of living. But if you are christian, take the bible read it, beleive it, it will tell you your purpose in life. When someone say what's my purpose in life, it has alot to do with religion. I'm a muslim, and big part of me beleives that this life is just a test for the next one.

Magnus213
10-24-2009, 03:08 PM
As an atheist, I've thought about this question for a long time.

I eventually settled on the conclusion that, since I only get so much time to be alive, the purpose should be to fill it with as much happiness as possible. That means working hard, forming friendships, and doing things that bring me pleasure.

The bottom line is that there is no real, substantial purpose. Religion formed, in my opinion, largely to help people cope with this idea, albeit by essentially refusing to accept it.

It'd be nice to die as someone whose name isn't easily forgotten, but when it boils down to it, once my friends who knew me are gone, I might never have existed in the first place.

BluesClues
10-24-2009, 09:42 PM

I eventually settled on the conclusion that, since I only get so much time to be alive, the purpose should be to fill it with as much happiness as possible. That means working hard, forming friendships, and doing things that bring me pleasure.

The bottom line is that there is no real, substantial purpose. Religion formed, in my opinion, largely to help people cope with this idea, albeit by essentially refusing to accept it.

It'd be nice to die as someone whose name isn't easily forgotten, but when it boils down to it, once my friends who knew me are gone, I might never have existed in the first place.
Religion does play a part because the bible tells us what our purpose is, but I am more concerned about what I AM HERE FOR as an individual. I mean, am I here to help others, or just here to live? Am I choosing the right degree? Will I be successful at what I chose? How do I be successful? These are just the tip of the iceberg of thoughts that consume my mind. I sometimes feel like there is a drawn out plan in being the best at what you do. Does anyone else feel that way?

Everyone comes to a stage where they think whats the point of living. But if you are christian, take the bible read it, beleive it, it will tell you your purpose in life. When someone say what's my purpose in life, it has alot to do with religion. I'm a muslim, and big part of me beleives that this life is just a test for the next one.
Religion is a major factor, but it still doesn't answer my questions. Am I wrong for feeling that way?

too deep for me :no:
LOL. Just a peek into my mind

depends ont he type of person youare.

religiously i have an idea what our purpose is based on wha ti was brought up learning. then i have a view if that werent actually the case. but i'm not cut and dry on it.
Yeah I feel the same way

You're welcome to read one of my books on this matter... and welcome to keep it as long as you'd like... and pass it on to someone who can benefit from it when you're done with it.
What's the name of it?

FAM0U5
10-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Ill make it simple for everyone..

1) "life may not be the party we want, but since you are here you might as well dance..."

2)"to be successful in life you have to be selfish and greedy to reach to the top, but once there give back to the people and stay reachable."

These are the two routes that people take to chase their dreams, once they find the calling for it... but as for me I'm still here waiting and listening to find out my purpose.

BluesClues
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I guess too deep for some people huh? lol

sierra
10-26-2009, 12:09 PM
The Purpose Driven Life

BluesClues
10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Ooooooooh ok.

AirMax95
10-27-2009, 01:42 PM
"Following your heart's desire will lead you in the direction your spirit wants to go."

BluesClues
10-27-2009, 01:43 PM
"Following your heart's desire will lead you in the direction your spirit wants to go."
Yeah good point

cbr900rrguy
10-27-2009, 03:03 PM
you look way into it. just live life. you'll know what your purpose is when you get there. it ain't going to fall into your lap. hell i don't know what my purpose is. i know i leave for basic in january and after that who knows. if you spend your whole life trying to figure out what you were meant to do you might not realize it and the thing you were meant to do might just go by you. just take it day by day.
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."-Albert Einstein

BluesClues
10-28-2009, 07:55 PM
you look way into it. just live life. you'll know what your purpose is when you get there. it ain't going to fall into your lap. hell i don't know what my purpose is. i know i leave for basic in january and after that who knows. if you spend your whole life trying to figure out what you were meant to do you might not realize it and the thing you were meant to do might just go by you. just take it day by day.
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."-Albert Einstein
Yeah maybe you are right. I think I only feel this way because I am so close to graduating. I just feel I don't even know how to get started with my life. I mean when all you know is school and once that is over, it's like what now? Just a scary thought. I just want to be successful and make a difference.

lanning
10-28-2009, 07:57 PM
not everybody is going to cure cancer or be the president, maybe its about how you treat people and the effect you have on people

BluesClues
10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
not everybody is going to cure cancer or be the president, maybe its about how you treat people and the effect you have on people
And honestly, that is probably the best answer but it's not enough. Believe me on that. I treat everyone "the way I would like to be treated" but people don't treat me the same. I am a good hearted loving person hence why I want to make a difference, but it gets me nowhere :(

uproot
10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
procreation.

BluesClues
10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
procreation.
huh? :???:

lanning
10-28-2009, 08:01 PM
And honestly, that is probably the best answer but it's not enough. Believe me on that. I treat everyone "the way I would like to be treated" but people don't treat me the same. I am a good hearted loving person hence why I want to make a difference, but it gets me nowhere :(
just bc you may not see the effect you have on people doesnt mean that you dont make a difference. hell coming into work smiling has a huge effect on the people around you and depending on where you work it may effect cutomers and then make a difference on your tip

BluesClues
10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
just bc you may not see the effect you have on people doesnt mean that you dont make a difference. hell coming into work smiling has a huge effect on the people around you and depending on where you work it may effect cutomers and then make a difference on your tip
That actually does work lol. I've noticed when I am in a really good mood people tip me more, but overall making a difference just by being nice to others, I have yet to see the benefit in that. Has only been disappointing for me. But don't get me wrong, I will continue to be nice to people because that's just who I am, but I just don't think it's enough to make a huge difference in others' lives.

You know what I think of often. What people will say about me when I pass. I want to be remembered for making others happy and making a difference in their life. I don't want someone saying nice things because they feel obligated because they are at my funeral, but to actually mean it. You understand what I am saying? I know I can be confusing at times. :D

Hektik
10-28-2009, 08:08 PM
My purpose on this planet is to raise my daughters the best I can... other than that life is only a gift that we should enjoy without expectations....

BluesClues
10-28-2009, 08:11 PM
^^^ Well at least you know you purpose.

I see you Json. What delightful words of wisdom do you have for me? :D

lanning
10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
i get what your saying, sometimes its just hard to look at things in that mindset that everything happens for a reason. like if a whole lot of bad stuff happens you sit there and wait for something good to come out of it, but it doesnt. its hard to explain

BluesClues
10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
i get what your saying, sometimes its just hard to look at things in that mindset that everything happens for a reason. like if a whole lot of bad stuff happens you sit there and wait for something good to come out of it, but it doesnt. its hard to explain
Oh believe me I understand exactly what you are saying. It's like when is Karma gonna kick in? I should have good karma so why do these things keep happening to me?

lanning
10-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh believe me I understand exactly what you are saying. It's like when is Karma gonna kick in? I should have good karma so why do these things keep happening to me?
things happen to people that can handle them, people look at things like everything is bad when it could be awhole lot worse. "well im 2 grand in debt" should really be "well atleast im not 10 grand in debt"

eraser4g63
10-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Life is a terminal disease with no cure, At least thats how I see it.

BluesClues
10-29-2009, 09:57 AM
things happen to people that can handle them, people look at things like everything is bad when it could be awhole lot worse. "well im 2 grand in debt" should really be "well atleast im not 10 grand in debt"
I have over 10k in student loans so when I graduate, I am going to have a headache lol

Life is a terminal disease with no cure, At least thats how I see it.
DAMN!

sierra
10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Well... you're welcome to borrow it or have it... let me know.

On a side note: Hektic has a cool avatar. :D

Magnus213
10-29-2009, 08:55 PM
I admire and respect your refusal to accept the answers people are giving, that is, the answers that tell you to stop worrying about it. Ol' Socrates said that "the unexamined life is not worth living," and I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I apologize that I can't offer more wisdom, but I think it's because I'm just kind of chugging through college and my path is set for the next couple years or so. I'll probably come back looking at this thread when I'm freaking out in the spring of 2011, weeks from graduation.

It was mentioned that Einstein said that only a life lived for others is worth living. I find that to be completely ridiculous. It works out for most people that helping others brings them happiness, but your life is about you. I guess that's the part of me that agrees with Ayn Rand, and I won't really elaborate because I wouldn't do the idea justice like she does.

Don't settle. Don't stop asking questions. Don't wait for karma or fate to kick in, because it's not going to.

Revmaynard
10-29-2009, 09:01 PM

I'd have to say we're on the same exact damn page. A failed life for me would be one where I couldn't enjoy the things/people I love. In the end I just want to know I enjoyed the time I had. :cheers:

cbr900rrguy
10-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah maybe you are right. I think I only feel this way because I am so close to graduating. I just feel I don't even know how to get started with my life. I mean when all you know is school and once that is over, it's like what now? Just a scary thought. I just want to be successful and make a difference.
i understand completely what you mean. my sister graduated from GC&SU with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice then she went and got her associate's degree from macon state, but yet she hasn't applied for any positions in that career field and really hasn't put those degrees to use. i do respect her though cause she is the book smart one in the family and i did what i had to to pass high school. granted i tried the whole college thing, but it just wasn't for me and i figured if i want to do something with my life and make something of myself the military was my only other option. so i hope you find your one true calling. all the best :goodjob:

BluesClues
10-31-2009, 04:07 AM

BluesClues
10-31-2009, 04:07 AM
i understand completely what you mean. my sister graduated from GC&SU with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice then she went and got her associate's degree from macon state, but yet she hasn't applied for any positions in that career field and really hasn't put those degrees to use. i do respect her though cause she is the book smart one in the family and i did what i had to to pass high school. granted i tried the whole college thing, but it just wasn't for me and i figured if i want to do something with my life and make something of myself the military was my only other option. so i hope you find your one true calling. all the best :goodjob:
Thanks I really appreciate it!

I admire and respect your refusal to accept the answers people are giving, that is, the answers that tell you to stop worrying about it. Ol' Socrates said that "the unexamined life is not worth living," and I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I apologize that I can't offer more wisdom, but I think it's because I'm just kind of chugging through college and my path is set for the next couple years or so. I'll probably come back looking at this thread when I'm freaking out in the spring of 2011, weeks from graduation.

It was mentioned that Einstein said that only a life lived for others is worth living. I find that to be completely ridiculous. It works out for most people that helping others brings them happiness, but your life is about you. I guess that's the part of me that agrees with Ayn Rand, and I won't really elaborate because I wouldn't do the idea justice like she does.

Don't settle. Don't stop asking questions. Don't wait for karma or fate to kick in, because it's not going to.
Yeah, I am doing my best to not worry. I figure it will eventually settle, it's just getting closer to the end and I am starting to feel pressured. Just don't want to mess up, but messing up comes with life this I know, so I guess I will see how it all goes

And reps to everyone for their opinions. I really do appreciate all that you all have said. Thank you for your :2cents: