PDA

View Full Version : Music Listen to the words of this track...

quickdodgeŽ
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
LISTEN CAREFULLY!!! (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2003j_grandmaster-flash-sign-of-the-times_music)

Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel did this in 1985. Almost 25 years ago. Ever since it was brand new, this was my favorite track by anyone.

But if you have a few minutes, listen to it and listen to what they are saying. The message (no pun towards the group) is deep, man. It makes you think and it really their eyes on your face so you can see what they were talking about. Not to mention just an all around great track and delivery. Later, QD.

cjhutch
10-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I've heard the track many times, but I've never seen the video until now. The odd thing is during that time those guys were seen as mainstream and on the top of the genre. Now to hear something with that kind of message you have to look towards underground rappers or the last track on a "popular" rappers album.

quickdodgeŽ
10-20-2009, 09:40 PM
I've heard the track many times, but I've never seen the video until now. The odd thing is during that time those guys were seen as mainstream and on the top of the genre. Now to hear something with that kind of message you have to look towards underground rappers or the last track on a "popular" rappers album.

Good call. These guys were really real about their shit. What you saw was what you got. They didn't go out renting exotic cars and passing them off as their own to impress anyone or show off what they wish they had. Their words meant something. And like you said, these guys were the best in the game and as mainstream as you could get in 1985, in a time when rap wasn't seen on TV or played much radio outside of NYC or LA. Later, QD.

cactusEG
10-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel. I love thier music !

btstone
10-21-2009, 02:02 PM
it is a good message, but like the underground rappers today, the delivery is just full of mediocrity. not downing flash, he is a pioneer no doubt. but the reason ppl like jayz blow up is because of the potent delivery. they may not be giving a message but the delivery and flow is what makes a rapper.

i know ppl will argue that other rappers like gucci mane and plies are popular when they suck, but they are only popular in clubs. they dont sell very many albums and its mainly regional. their flow and delivery sucks and it shows with record sales.

quickdodgeŽ
10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
it is a good message, but like the underground rappers today, the delivery is just full of mediocrity. not downing flash, he is a pioneer no doubt. but the reason ppl like jayz blow up is because of the potent delivery. they may not be giving a message but the delivery and flow is what makes a rapper.

You have to remember also, that Gay Z went straight mainstream. He also spent his real entire career in a rap that was much more widespread than it was 25 years ago. You didn't hear Flash on the radio in Atlanta in 1985 except once a week. In fact, there was only ONE 2 hour block on a Friday night that any rap was played in Atlanta. Don't dispute. I was there. I waited for every Friday night with a new cassette tape to record it. It was called The Fresh Party on V-103.

But back to the topic. Not only do you have to remember that rap had a LOT more going for it as far as exposure for Gay Z, the styles also had changed by the time the 90s hit. He also didn't stay true to form. What I mean by GMF staying real is they didn't hype themselves up to be more than what they were. You didn't see then riding down Broadway in a Ferrari or Jaguar; like it was there, but knowing it was a rental.

Although in some aspects the same, they are quite different. Later, QD.

cjhutch
10-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Bstone, you can't compare these guys to Jay Z or any modern rapper. Styles change and develop through time. It's almost like comparing Jerry West to Kobe Bryant. Through time people try different things and a new style develops. When Jay started he had that quick flow like the that was popular during the time. I was real young, but I can still remember the first time I heard Jada spit and he had the lazy flow and I thought it was horrible. Fast forward and look how many rappers have that slow lazy flow that people love.