PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy Discriminates?

Scooby Pilot
10-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Well my girlfriend has been an employee there for 4 years. She was a suoervisor and she is now pregnant. She had been ordered to bed rest, took her two weeks of vacation for it. Her manager would not let her come back until she had a letter form the doctor saying she could come back. Well She has been off of bed rest for about 3-4 weeks. Best buy offered her a lower position becasue they gave hers away. it was only 1.50 less per hour. no biggie. Then then come back and say oh... you have to interview with for the position. well she does butthe main person isnt there, some kind of emergency and had to fly out of town for a week. Ok so thats another week.... ok we are struggling now with money at this point, so Friday she intereviewed and the woman said something to teh effect of... oh well I dont htihk you will like this job. and that was it. havent heard back or anyhing. all the while She is STILL employed by Best Buy. Reciveing zero pay..... we have to do something.....

Im trying to sell my Project car ...which makes me cry just about.... but I gotta do something and get the SHO's transmission fixed..the Saab is getting cold inside ( no HVAC controls at all )

A.P. Photography
10-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Not sure but you might want to check on the Family/Medical leave act. Something about they have to place you back in your same position or similar position if you have to be out for a medical reason.

B16a2 Civic
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Not sure but you might want to check on the Family/Medical leave act. Something about they have to place you back in your same position or similar position if you have to be out for a medical reason.

yup....your best bet.

SilverJester
10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Yeah I think the way that law works is that they don't have to give you back the same position but they have to give you the same pay. That sounds really fucked up, I think if I were you I would just go get consult with a lawyer and if they say that she is protected under that law (or any other) ten you can threaten to sue buest buy. That should get her job back, I doubt you would actually get to the point of needing to hire the lawyer.

Rican219
10-17-2005, 02:57 PM
YEP

That is Bullshit if you ask me!!

Scooby Pilot
10-17-2005, 03:08 PM
yeah totally...... we are scraping the bottom here

chrisdavis
10-17-2005, 03:10 PM

You are allowed up to 12 weeks of leave before your position or an equal position can be taken from you. Call the Dept of Labor.

A.P. Photography
10-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Here is a link to the FMA

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

A.P. Photography
10-17-2005, 03:14 PM
You are allowed up to 12 weeks of leave before your position or an equal position can be taken from you. Call the Dept of Labor.
and that is only if you use the FMLA, if you use vacation time then that does not come into play until the end of the time. ;)

NzProjeKt
10-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Yea thats fucked up... Best Buy sucks as an employer...
They hired me for a position in a department that didnt even exist..

Scooby Pilot
10-17-2005, 03:29 PM
shit, she was never on FMLA, they just took her off the schedule and wouldn't let her come back until she had a note and when she did a week or so later they already gave her supervisor position to somone else... and they dont have a position for her. she was making lke $18 an hour PLUS supervisor bonus of $400...it hurts notto have that anymore....

A.P. Photography
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
shit, she was never on FMLA, they just took her off the schedule and wouldn't let her come back until she had a note and when she did a week or so later they already gave her supervisor position to somone else... and they dont have a position for her. she was making lke $18 an hour PLUS supervisor bonus of $400...it hurts notto have that anymore....
Read it again, it says for you to take the vacation or if she cannot work because of medical reasons which she was. So technically yes she was on FMLA, basically that is what they do on FMLA is take you off the schedule.

gtikid
10-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Yea thats fucked up... Best Buy sucks as an employer...
They hired me for a position in a department that didnt even exist..

hahahahahahahaha i remember that...lol...you would just chill and do bitch work haha :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

NzProjeKt
10-17-2005, 05:00 PM
hahahahahahahaha i remember that...lol...you would just chill and do bitch work haha :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
That shit wasnt even funny man... They had me dusting furntiture and shit for the first few weeks... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Leisa
10-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Well my girlfriend has been an employee there for 4 years. She was a suoervisor and she is now pregnant. She had been ordered to bed rest, took her two weeks of vacation for it. Her manager would not let her come back until she had a letter form the doctor saying she could come back. Well She has been off of bed rest for about 3-4 weeks. Best buy offered her a lower position becasue they gave hers away. it was only 1.50 less per hour. no biggie. Then then come back and say oh... you have to interview with for the position. well she does butthe main person isnt there, some kind of emergency and had to fly out of town for a week. Ok so thats another week.... ok we are struggling now with money at this point, so Friday she intereviewed and the woman said something to teh effect of... oh well I dont htihk you will like this job. and that was it. havent heard back or anyhing. all the while She is STILL employed by Best Buy. Reciveing zero pay..... we have to do something.....

Im trying to sell my Project car ...which makes me cry just about.... but I gotta do something and get the SHO's transmission fixed..the Saab is getting cold inside ( no HVAC controls at all )

she should have filed for FMLA...DID SHE????

Leisa
10-17-2005, 06:10 PM
^^^Sorry, Im a little late on that one ..lol

Scooby Pilot
10-18-2005, 08:16 AM
No she didnt. She was so ill she coudnt do anything. But if they do not call her today ia m going to call the corporate office

Scooby Pilot
10-18-2005, 03:20 PM
They offered her a job today......WHEW!

B16a2 Civic
10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
she should have filed for FMLA...DID SHE????

i dont know why but for someone reason i could see thsi convo in real life....as leisa is yellin 'did she', she grabs on to your arm to emphasize it sum more...:lmao:

A.P. Photography
10-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Congrats on her getting the job

B16a2 Civic
10-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Congrats on her getting the job

oops, yes i forgot to mention this as well....i'll +25 since i forgot.