PDA

View Full Version : BellSouth DSL Direct Problem....

k2nix
10-19-2009, 09:59 PM
I live in Buford and I have Bellsouth DSL Direct and currently only my sister's desktop is connected to the internet.

I tried to connect my Linksys wireless Router so I could use my laptop in my room but somehow it wouldn't work.

this is the setup I'm trying to do but FAILED
Wall-->Linksys Router-->Desktop

it only works when Ethernet cable is connected directly
Wall-->Desktop

I've called numerous times and All they told me was to contact technical support that charges or install a new jack in my room. tech support will charge like 40-50 maybe even more and ATT tech to come out...they said it cost like 100bucks. I was like fuck that.

I'm really considering changing service...perhaps Cable?

what you guys think? anybody have similar situation?

Bus Driver J
10-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I have the same service and have never had a problem other than the modem going bad. I have mine ran from wall to Motorola Modem to Netgear wireless router. Ive been running this very same setup for about 2 years.
im sure this doesnt help too much, just showing that its not the service.

cartune
10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
shouldnt it be. wall >> modem >> router >>desktop? I have comcast cable now, before bellsouth dsl. comcast, its great, cheap, fast. never had a problem with it. had alot of issues with dsl

gtikid
10-20-2009, 01:13 AM
shouldnt it be. wall >> modem >> router >>desktop? I have comcast cable now, before bellsouth dsl. comcast, its great, cheap, fast. never had a problem with it. had alot of issues with dsl

Yup, it goes wall - modem - router - desktop. How do you expect have internet connection without going to the modem first? :goodjob:

guinness
10-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Yup, it goes wall - modem - router - desktop. How do you expect have internet connection without going to the modem first? :goodjob:

lol!!also make sure that the encryption on the router is supported by the wireless card.meaning to make sure that it's set up to like wap2,wap,wep,etc.i would go with wap2 because it supports all of those mentioned up above.

David88vert
10-20-2009, 08:52 AM
I live in Buford and I have Bellsouth DSL Direct and currently only my sister's desktop is connected to the internet.

I tried to connect my Linksys wireless Router so I could use my laptop in my room but somehow it wouldn't work.

this is the setup I'm trying to do but FAILED
Wall-->Linksys Router-->Desktop

it only works when Ethernet cable is connected directly
Wall-->Desktop

I've called numerous times and All they told me was to contact technical support that charges or install a new jack in my room. tech support will charge like 40-50 maybe even more and ATT tech to come out...they said it cost like 100bucks. I was like fuck that.

I'm really considering changing service...perhaps Cable?

what you guys think? anybody have similar situation?

Does your Linksys router have an internal modem? If it does not, you will need a modem. If it does, you have to configure it to maintain your connection first.

98strat
10-20-2009, 10:58 AM
If your computer can be plugged directly into the wall before the router was installed and work then you don't have regular dsl. It is called an ifiddle network. It is an absolute pain but will work. You will probably have to manually enter all your network settings into the router and not use the software program that came with it.

TIGERJC
10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
call att up and have them give you the setting for your modem so it will accept a router. If the modem can be plug directly in to a computer and work, then you need to set the modem up

SmackedInATL
10-23-2009, 09:52 PM
OP doesn't sound like he has a modem you noobs. He has the AT&T Fiber Optic connection.

OP:

You will need to go in your web browser and log into your router to properly setup the connection. Take the ethernet from the wall and plug it into the internet port on your router. Then plug the desktop into one of the open switch ports.

1. In the address bar of Internet Explorer type 192.168.1.1
2. Leave the user name field blank and enter admin for the password when it prompts
3. You will see at the top of page "Internet Connection Setup" and it will probably be on "Automatic DHCP" You need to change this to PPPoE. It will show a user name and password field once you change it to PPPoE. Enter your primary AT&T email address and password here.

Save the settings and you should be online from there. PM me if you have problems. Don't listen to these noobs in here, obviously they aren't aware of the different type of DSL connections out there.

TIGERJC
10-24-2009, 12:13 AM
OP doesn't sound like he has a modem you noobs. He has the AT&T Fiber Optic connection.

OP:

You will need to go in your web browser and log into your router to properly setup the connection. Take the ethernet from the wall and plug it into the internet port on your router. Then plug the desktop into one of the open switch ports.

1. In the address bar of Internet Explorer type 192.168.1.1
2. Leave the user name field blank and enter admin for the password when it prompts
3. You will see at the top of page "Internet Connection Setup" and it will probably be on "Automatic DHCP" You need to change this to PPPoE. It will show a user name and password field once you change it to PPPoE. Enter your primary AT&T email address and password here.

Save the settings and you should be online from there. PM me if you have problems. Don't listen to these noobs in here, obviously they aren't aware of the different type of DSL connections out there.
Bellsouth DSL Direct doesn't sound like U-verse, it sounds llike dsl through the phone line. If it was U-verse the tech generally hook that up when they do the install

But I believe these setting are correct or op can go get a wireless modem/router from a att store if he can not figure it out.

SmackedInATL
10-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Bellsouth DSL Direct doesn't sound like U-verse, it sounds llike dsl through the phone line. If it was U-verse the tech generally hook that up when they do the install

But I believe these setting are correct or op can go get a wireless modem/router from a att store if he can not figure it out.

Ughh, fail dude. OP has a connection that AT&T techs install and is a little white box at the base of his wall that will accept a ethernet cable. No modem will help him. He has to configure the connection in the router and he will be good to go. Uverse isn't what he has as Uverse uses a DHCP wireless gateway.