PDA

View Full Version : Washing/Detailing your car

donovan772
10-19-2009, 07:09 PM
What do you guys use to wash/detail your car? I have to buy some stuff to wash/detail mine with. any recomendations?:thinking:

Halfwit
10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
i wash mine good with any regular "car wash" soap (mixed with water in a bucket, wash then spray off with hose) to get all dirt off and get it pretty clean.

then spot clean or finalize with eagle one "spray and wash" and then use spray and wash daily to keep shiny. use very soft cloth with this, not just rag.

interior i use armor all (that clear oily stuff) BUT i am unhappy with it because u have to use WAY TOO MUCH and it only gets rly clean RIGHT WHERE U APPLY doesnt spread very well. so it take too long. im gonna finish off the bottle and try a foam or different spray.

Hektik
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/meguiars-complete-car-care-kit.jpg

jcs
10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
^x2

green91
10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
I use a standard car wash, claybar.. and then hand wax with Zymol

donovan772
10-19-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/meguiars-complete-car-care-kit.jpg

:eek: how much does all that cost lol

cjhutch
10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
For washing I use Meguiar's Gold Class or Duragloss car wash. Wheels get cleaned with Eagle One A2Z or P21s Wheel Gel when they are really dirty. Trim gets protected with 303 Aerospace and for wax it's mostly Meguiar's High Tech Yellow or Gold Class wax. I also have a bottle of NXT 2.0, but I didn't really like the way it looked on my car. It really muted the metallic. For the winter I'm switching to Collinite 476 for the durability. After every wash I top off with Duragloss Aquawax to bring that just waxed look back. On a side note I just purchased a Porter Cable 7424XP for paint correction.

Does anyone know of some detailer supply stores around here? I went to Auto Color/Advanced Chemical Products today and all they have are gallon sizes of most stuff. I'm looking for smaller sizes of stuff and 5.5"-6" pads.

b20vtecrr
10-19-2009, 11:16 PM
man i use clothes detergent whether its liquid or powder it gets really soapy and leaves the car extra cleannnn try it!!!! all these other products every1 is posting work really well too but can b costly im a brokeass so i use clothes soap and u only have to use a cup of it but it gets soooo soapy man i use an old tshirt or wash mit to scrub i use a tshirt for my wheels

AnthonyF
10-20-2009, 10:13 AM
On really grimey cars I use car wash soap and liquid laundry detergent w/ bleach. Then i re apply quick wax to the vehicle.

But most times I use Just regular car wash soap. I generally get my truck buffed/polished every 5-6 months a year.

-Ant.

MeFryRice
10-20-2009, 10:24 AM
man i use clothes detergent whether its liquid or powder it gets really soapy and leaves the car extra cleannnn try it!!!! all these other products every1 is posting work really well too but can b costly im a brokeass so i use clothes soap and u only have to use a cup of it but it gets soooo soapy man i use an old tshirt or wash mit to scrub i use a tshirt for my wheels

Please tell me your kidding. I would hate to see your paint under a high-wattage halogen lamp.

Elbow
10-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeahhhh........

Sammich
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
LOL @ THREAD

PERSONALLY..IF THE CAR I'M CLEANING IS SUPER DIRTY I USE DISH DETERGENT AND WASH TWICE TO REMOVE ALL THE GRIME AND DIRT AND WAX, DRY IT OFF THEN APPLY A NEW COAT OF WAX, THEN WIPE IT DOWN W/ SOME CLEAN WATER AND A TERRY CLOTH.

IF THE CAR IS PRETTY MAINTAINED I USE THE CAR WASH SOAP, I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT, BUT IT HELPS PRESERVE TEH WAX JOB, AND MAN DOES MY CAR LOVE IT

FYI. ANYTIME I APPLY A NEW WAX JOB, I ALWAYS USE DISH DETERGENT, FOR ME IT 'PREPS' THE SURFACE

MachNU
10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Lets see I start by washing it with Eagle One Nano Wash with a Two Bucket Method. Coat the front bumper in a APC to clean all bugs off. Then I dry it, pull it into the shade and start claying the car with a ONR mix. Then clean the car again. Then either tape off the car and start buffing, or if its maintained, I clean all the door jams, blow dry all areas where water is stuck in. Then clean all the windows with some Stoners products. Followed up by two very nice different coats of wax.

1sickdc2
10-20-2009, 10:54 PM

this is what i use too! good stuff!

DeeAOne
10-20-2009, 10:58 PM
to wash i either use dish soap or the basic car soap.

then i wipe the whole car down with purple power degreaser. now i dont advise this with a newer car because i have no clue what it will do, but it did wonders on my old paint.

then i wax with meguiars gold class.

:goodjob:

SlamminCRX
10-21-2009, 02:03 AM
lol @ thread but i use
any good car wash soap like meguiars or something mixed with water and a sponge!!!

then i use a chamois to dry it and go over it with a clean microfiber towel to get a clean dry!, usually only do this on the windows

preeety much the quick lazy wash, i usually make sure the windows are clean inside and out and make sure the area around the inside and outside of fenders and all the lower parts of the car are clean. thats where it gets the most dirt/trash/tar or w/e

and you got to have the rimzzzz clean. put that armor all gel tire shine on the tires and you good!!!

if you got an old skool honda and your side moldings are faded, put some tire shine on that too loool

dallasb84
10-21-2009, 03:26 AM
i start with dawn in a bucket with warm water....

then i use 2000 grit sandpaper with a popsicle stick......

then i use 3m heavy duty polish with wool bonnet

then i use foam pad

then i use 3m hand glaze on high speed with a foam bonnet

then use hand glaze

for wax i use any synthetic base "wax" usually no carnuba

VQ35 Star
10-21-2009, 04:37 AM
i use a red scotch brite pad and dish wash detergent i guarantee you will remove everything. then i finish it up with some wax and grease remover and dry it off with a white scotch brite pad.

qwick
10-21-2009, 04:47 AM
1/4 Pinesol + 2/4 Kitchen Floor degreaser + 1/4 warm water. in a bucket

I use just any old cloth/towel/t shirt

on my rims i use the blue SOS pads and a tiny bit of oven cleaner.

its cheap and it get every bit of the dirt/road grime off.

then I use regular car wax on the entire car.

on the front and rear bumpers i apply wd40 and wipe in with a rag. ( it keeps bugs and other stuff from sticking to the bumper)
:goodjob:

VQ35 Star
10-21-2009, 04:55 AM
oh and i use vasaline on my tires fuck the bullshit spray on cans vasaline last forever!

donovan772
10-21-2009, 10:52 AM
i use a red scotch brite pad and dish wash detergent i guarantee you will remove everything. then i finish it up with some wax and grease remover and dry it off with a white scotch brite pad.

I think I like your idea best. Seems nice and simple, but I cant wax my car :( my clear coat is peeling and I'm afraid it'll make it peel more.

WickedIXMR
10-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I first use a foam gun with Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss to get the loose contaminants off then spray it down then wash it with the same car wash soap. Then I have various detailing products from Chemical Guys, P21S, Menzerma, Poor Boy's World, Clay magic, and I might be missing some others, to do whatever I need to do after I give the car a good wash.