PDA

View Full Version : Key won't come out of ignition until the battery dies 96 civic

preferredduck
10-16-2009, 11:22 AM
ok so my girl has a 96 civic lx. the key will not come out until the battery dies or is disconnected. another thing the car is doing is you don't have to put your foot on the brake to get the car out of park which is not supposed to happen. i'm wondering if these things are connected b/c i know the car has to be in park for the key to come out. i'm wondering if it's the shift solnoid under the console or the shift switch. any help would be appreciated. the car is an automatic btw.

CaTcH22
10-16-2009, 12:10 PM
ok so my girl has a 96 civic lx. the key will not come out until the battery dies or is disconnected. another thing the car is doing is you don't have to put your foot on the brake to get the car out of park which is not supposed to happen. i'm wondering if these things are connected b/c i know the car has to be in park for the key to come out. i'm wondering if it's the shift solnoid under the console or the shift switch. any help would be appreciated. the car is an automatic btw.
I think the selector switch on the side of the tranny is what goes bad when you cant get the key out. Not sure if that is the brake/park problem.

Barefoot
10-16-2009, 12:46 PM
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x97-009e.pdf
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/

Cool Cat Racing
10-16-2009, 10:32 PM
There's a key lock that you can unplug on the side of the lock cylinder which will allow it to still come out for now until you can fix it. But you're right that the car thinks its still in gear so the key won't come out and the shifter lock isn't engaging either.

preferredduck
10-16-2009, 11:05 PM
fixed it. it was the neutral safety switch. i replaced the whole shifter assembly and it solved the problem. key comes out for sure now.

1sickdc2
10-20-2009, 10:57 PM
dang never heard of this problem before

preferredduck
11-01-2009, 01:55 AM
dang never heard of this problem before

i have a few times, the car doesnt recognize its in park and took about half an hour to do. i had this happen on a 95 dx a few years ago.