PDA

View Full Version : Car jerks while in motion

98_Coupe
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I have an Isuzu Rodeo and while I'm driving, the car jerks, it's not at any specific RPM, sometimes it's at 2k, sometimes its at 3k, and so on. It all started happening when I changed the throttle position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. And I cleaned the mass air flow sensor, changed spark plugs and spark plug wires because I thought those were causing the problem but I guess not. Anyone know what's wrong with it?

SLo_MKIII
10-15-2009, 09:28 PM
I have an Isuzu Rodeo and while I'm driving, the car jerks, it's not at any specific RPM, sometimes it's at 2k, sometimes its at 3k, and so on. It all started happening when I changed the throttle position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. And I cleaned the mass air flow sensor, changed spark plugs and spark plug wires because I thought those were causing the problem but I guess not. Anyone know what's wrong with it?

might have messed up the MAF when cleaning

98_Coupe
10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
might have messed up the MAF when cleaning

I bought the spray that's specifically for the MAF. And the jerking was happening before I even touched it. I cleaned it because I thought that was the problem but it didn't get better or worse.

SLo_MKIII
10-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I bought the spray that's specifically for the MAF. And the jerking was happening before I even touched it. I cleaned it because I thought that was the problem but it didn't get better or worse.
fuel filter then sir... alot of ppl forget about them

CaTcH22
10-15-2009, 09:46 PM
It started AFTER you changed the TPS and Cam sensor? Sounds like something happen at this point.

98_Coupe
10-15-2009, 09:46 PM
fuel filter then sir... alot of ppl forget about them

Will definitely check that out tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

98_Coupe
10-15-2009, 09:48 PM
It started AFTER you changed the TPS and Cam sensor? Sounds like something happen at this point.

Yeah after I changed them. I don't see how those two sensors would cause a jerking problem though...

CaTcH22
10-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah after I changed them. I don't see how those two sensors would cause a jerking problem though...
Cam sensor helps time the injectors with the spark event. Plays a major role if the jerking is misfire related.
Describe what you feel a little better.

98_Coupe
10-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Cam sensor helps time the injectors with the spark event. Plays a major role if the jerking is misfire related.
Describe what you feel a little better.

Let's say I'm going maybe like 20, 25 in 2nd gear. It will jerk maybe 2 or 3 times. It feels like I let go of the throttle and step on it real fast again. And it will do that once I shift into 3rd, 4th, and 5th as well. Sometimes even when I'm starting off it jerks even before I let the clutch go all the way. Maybe I should take off the cam sensor and put it back on again? Just in case I put it in wrong (which I HIGHLY doubt) lol.

CaTcH22
10-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Let's say I'm going maybe like 20, 25 in 2nd gear. It will jerk maybe 2 or 3 times. It feels like I let go of the throttle and step on it real fast again. And it will do that once I shift into 3rd, 4th, and 5th as well. Sometimes even when I'm starting off it jerks even before I let the clutch go all the way. Maybe I should take off the cam sensor and put it back on again? Just in case I put it in wrong (which I HIGHLY doubt) lol.
Its possible. I know that some have an alignment pin/notch. You have to slightly open the throttle b4 you put the sensor on. If not the voltage will be way off for the ECU to read.

98_Coupe
10-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Its possible. I know that some have an alignment pin/notch. You have to slightly open the throttle b4 you put the sensor on. If not the voltage will be way off for the ECU to read.

I'll definitely do that man, I'll change the fuel filter just in case as well, it's only 10 bucks anyway.

Theycall_Metue
10-17-2009, 09:41 AM
it has nothing to do with what you stated... but a bad engine mount can cause jerking also

EKteknoMunkey
10-17-2009, 12:36 PM
from what he explains about it happens when he shifts or letting go of the clutch and it does seem like you might have a grabbing clutch or broken motor mount check the motor mount like he said. Im saying this cause you didnt say if you had a misfire if you are having a misfire then obviously the culprit are those new sensors you put in i dont believe its the maf cause the car would be idling real low and sometimes cut off thats what happened to me at least hope u fix the problem

Gorilla zoe
10-17-2009, 12:44 PM
it has nothing to do with what you stated... but a bad engine mount can cause jerking also

Not really. All the motor mounts were out in my DA, it just shook bad.

CaTcH22
10-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Only said this, cuz he said that it started AFTER he changed those sensors.

HMGDRFTER
10-18-2009, 05:29 PM
you should try trouble shooting your ECU to see if it gives you any codes.

1sickdc2
10-20-2009, 10:56 PM
dang...