PDA

View Full Version : Jay G Vintage truck (old as Jesus)

1439/2000
10-14-2009, 11:52 PM
This thing came up for sale near me and I needed something vintage again. 1961 International Harvester truck. Slant 4 tractor motor with a 3 on the floor. Drives like a friggin dream. I think i'll take to work tomorrow actually. Anyway its about 90% restored save for wheels need a refinish and a ding on the front passenger fender. I have a date friday night and I think I'll take this too. "Sorry baby we're all out of gas." LOLOL out of all the vehicles I have tinkered with the is the first American one and the first real truck. I'm gonna have fun with it.

Pictures are a little blurry, meh
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/crankwalk/DSC_0801.jpg
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/crankwalk/DSC_0804.jpg
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/crankwalk/DSC_0809.jpg

.gauge.
10-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Did you say tractor motor?

Nice truck, good find!

speedminded
10-15-2009, 05:50 AM
I want it. I dare you to put wheels on it... :ninja:

David88vert
10-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Get some modern wheels on it while you restore the originals. It would be a completely different look.

NickW
10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Nice. Vintage cars/trucks are awesome!

dorin48
10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Fuckin right Jay, I must say thats seriously tasteful as far as random old trucks go. I am also working on my first American vehicle and truck lol. Inherited a 77' F150 4x2 from my original owner grandpa. Planning on a rough around the edges 408 street/strip setup. mo' reps+

Can I marry your dash? Cause I <3 it. :D

I like how the far left gauge reads Amps instead of Volts.

1439/2000
10-15-2009, 10:18 AM

Ha, nah I can freshen up the factory wheels in a day. I need some modern tires with a white wall on it though. I drove it to work today and YOWSA you need to plan everything way ahead. Starting, stopping etc etc. Defrost and wipers work though!

It's so simple. You look at the motor and wonder how it runs without modern techno wizardry. Then after you figure out how it runs you wonder why it STILL runs. :lmfao:

Nittanys1
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Thats a pretty sweet ride! I cant wait to see what wheels you put on there!

dorin48
10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
It's so simple. You look at the motor and wonder how it runs without modern techno wizardry. Then after you figure out how it runs you wonder why it STILL runs. :lmfao:

Its not hardcore till it has a magneto and you start it by spinning the crank by hand :ninja: just thinking about the tractors ive seen lately.

roscoe
10-15-2009, 10:26 AM

lol do they honda thing and put tractor wheels on it since it has a tractor motor lololol

dorin48
10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
lol do they honda thing and put tractor wheels on it since it has a tractor motor lololol

Like this -

http://www.thelongolivedrabline.com/images/uploads/Product-332-firestone-military-tire-large_1_-large.jpg

Its a military wheel but has the look.

speedminded
10-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Ha, nah I can freshen up the factory wheels in a day. I need some modern tires with a white wall on it though. I drove it to work today and YOWSA you need to plan everything way ahead. Starting, stopping etc etc. Defrost and wipers work though!

It's so simple. You look at the motor and wonder how it runs without modern techno wizardry. Then after you figure out how it runs you wonder why it STILL runs. :lmfao:Air, fuel, and spark...only the bare necessitates to make a fire are needed for a car run. :goodjob: Drum brakes on all four?

How about an International Harvester Metro? lol!
http://www.oldihc.org/classifieds/listings.php?make=Truck-for-Sale&model=Metro&id=196

http://www.oldihc.org/classifieds/image.php?pic=images/listings/listing_851IMG_2927.jpg

Vteckidd
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
How about an International Harvester Metro? lol!
http://www.oldihc.org/classifieds/listings.php?make=Truck-for-Sale&model=Metro&id=196

http://www.oldihc.org/classifieds/image.php?pic=images/listings/listing_851IMG_2927.jpg

I actually have a Metro for sale if you know anyone looking, beadblasted and runs and drives

quickdodge®
10-15-2009, 10:56 AM
I cant wait to see what wheels you put on there!

No reading comprehension!

Cool truck, Jay. Lolol. Later, QD.

speedminded
10-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Kinda off topic but upon a little research I discovered the International Scout 80, 800, & Scout II all have a 100" wheelbase. Ironically that's the exact same wheel base as the 94-04 Land Rover Discovery I & II...

A scout body on a Disco frame = poor mans Defender 90 :ninja:

Total_Blender
10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
A scout body on a Disco frame = poor mans Defender 90 :ninja:

It'd probably be better the other way around. definitely more reliable, anyway.

I've always had a soft spot for IHC trucks. Solid, no frills beasts of farm trucks. My grandpa had an early '70's one with a BIG V8, 392 I think. It was like this one, but white with an orange side panel.

http://hillcountrybinders.com/Gallery/albums/Member-Rides/Skip_s_200_2.jpg

I'd like to have one myself someday, but parts for things like steering and brakes can be scarce. And from what I understand some of the engines used in these were unique to IHC so parts for those might be scarce too.

NAIZBST
10-15-2009, 11:38 AM
saw it last night.... it is a great truck and in great shape

speedminded
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
It'd probably be better the other way around. definitely more reliable, anyway.

I've always had a soft spot for IHC trucks. Solid, no frills beasts of farm trucks. My grandpa had an early '70's one with a BIG V8, 392 I think. It was like this one, but white with an orange side panel.

http://hillcountrybinders.com/Gallery/albums/Member-Rides/Skip_s_200_2.jpg

I'd like to have one myself someday, but parts for things like steering and brakes can be scarce. And from what I understand some of the engines used in these were unique to IHC so parts for those might be scarce too.You're saying a Land Rover frame & suspension isn't reliable? Or do you mean the 3.9 Liter buick block in the '94-95 and the 4.0 liter in the '96+ isn't reliable? Or the transmission?

The transmissions aren't the best but I never said what power & drivetrain I want. I'm willing to bet you can't find a frame more solid than a Disco/Defender though...other than maybe a Unimog or H1 hummer.

1439/2000
10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Speaking of parts, Dorin be on the lookout for stuff for this thing if you are bored at work one day. Eventually I'll have to get some new parts for it and hopefully a good amount cross references. I know it has an old GM alternator on it now. Maybe a general tune up and a head gasket are in store in the near future.

Also I'm trying to find a local 1961 GA license plate to register for the truck. There are some on ebay but eh I'd rather deal locally.

STI101
10-15-2009, 12:04 PM
I have a date friday night and I think I'll take this too.

Hell yea man if she likes it then you know she is a keeper:goodjob:

speedminded
10-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Speaking of parts, Dorin be on the lookout for stuff for this thing if you are bored at work one day. Eventually I'll have to get some new parts for it and hopefully a good amount cross references. I know it has an old GM alternator on it now. Maybe a general tune up and a head gasket are in store in the near future.

Also I'm trying to find a local 1961 GA license plate to register for the truck. There are some on ebay but eh I'd rather deal locally.Nice, I'm looking for a 1984 plate for my BMW lol! There's a '84 UGA plate on ebay right now for $10...I'm not a fan of UGA but the red on it matches the car ha!

Parts will be tough to find for the IH. Just make your own head gasket :D

1439/2000
10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm going to try and daily this thing for a while. I think it'll be an experience, next weekend I'm going to give out hay rides in my neighborhood. LOL

dorin48
10-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Also I'm trying to find a local 1961 GA license plate to register for the truck. There are some on ebay but eh I'd rather deal locally.

That'll be a little hard now. I graduated in May (GIS), no more auto parts for me. Although, I do still get mad discounts :goodjob:. Shoot me old Part#'s and I'll get my buddies to do the leg work. Oreily's is still really good for finding random parts because if it isnt listed in the system or regular catalogs they can call the distribution center who will contact the manufacturer for the part. So essentially if the part is available from any major/medium sized manufacturer, it can be had for a small extra shipping charge. I have had to find parts for early 70's Scouts before and it was surprisingly easy. I had a customer who had 2 with 304 v8's. (Used them to knock over trees when he went hunting! :eek:)

1439/2000
10-15-2009, 12:29 PM
That'll be a little hard now. I graduated in May (GIS) no more auto parts for me. Although I do still get mad discounts :goodjob: shoot me old Part#'s and I'll get my buddies to do the leg work.

Oh dang I didnt know you weren't there anymore. I am still in the GIS lab every week. :rolleyes: Ehh well.

dorin48
10-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Oh dang I didnt know you weren't there anymore. I am still in the GIS lab every week. :rolleyes: Ehh well.
Momentary thread jack:
Yeah, I build electrical utility networks now in a variety of software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHc9iub5Fw

/threadjack

lol

Total_Blender
10-16-2009, 08:37 AM
You're saying a Land Rover frame & suspension isn't reliable? Or do you mean the 3.9 Liter buick block in the '94-95 and the 4.0 liter in the '96+ isn't reliable? Or the transmission?

The Fireball 215 is a great engine in a '61 Buick, but I'd be skeptical of the British management and such, Lucas electronics... guhhhhh. Most LR's I have seen spend more time in the shop than on the road. (True for just about any Euro vehicle really) :crazy:

The Scout has all common as dirt American hardware... AMC engines, GM or Borg-Warner transmissions, Dana axles, etc etc. If it breaks in the woods you don't have to go to a Buckhead dealership to order parts.

As for the OP, I'm sure you have an alternator on there as a replacement for the original generator. Anything with an AMPS gauge had a generator. Alternators didn't catch on until about 1964, and they switched to volt gauges (or just warning lights) when they switched to alternators. Also, don't assume that just because its a Delco its originally from a GM vehicle... Delco components were used on lots of different vehicles back in the day, including some Ford and AMC applications.

Total_Blender
10-16-2009, 08:42 AM
And from what I have read about year of manufacture plates, you can go ahead and register the vehicle for a normal plate. When you get the YOM plate, you display it and keep the normal plate in the vehicle. If you get stopped they will ask to see the normal plate when they ask for registration. I don't think you have to actually register the YOM plate with the DDS. :goodjob:

dorin48
10-16-2009, 09:22 AM
The Scout has all common as dirt American hardware... AMC engines
There were really only a couple of AMC engines availble at different times.

Engine produced by International Harvester:
IH 4-152** (See note below on this engine)
IH 4-196** (See note below on this engine)
IH V-266
IH V-304 (Note: This is NOT the same engine as the AMC 304 V8)
IH V-345
IH V-392 (Note: Based on the same block as the 304 and 345)
IH V400 (some 73/74 pickups and travelalls had the AMC 401 installed as there was a shortage of the V-392 engines.
To ID the AMC engine look at the thermostat housing. AMC is round. IH is rectangular. There are other differences but this is the quickest.
built by American Motors Corporation
AMC 6-232
AMC 6-258
built by Nissan
Nissan 6-33 (diesel) (naturally aspirated)
Nissan 6-33T (turbo diesel—1980 only)

1439/2000
10-16-2009, 10:30 AM
And from what I have read about year of manufacture plates, you can go ahead and register the vehicle for a normal plate. When you get the YOM plate, you display it and keep the normal plate in the vehicle. If you get stopped they will ask to see the normal plate when they ask for registration. I don't think you have to actually register the YOM plate with the DDS. :goodjob:

I think you need to have the signed affadaivt on file with the dmv cross referencing the tag though.

Jecht
10-16-2009, 10:42 AM
I think you need to have the signed affadaivt on file with the dmv cross referencing the tag though.

This is correct. It also has to be the same year as the vehicle and from the state you are registering it in (VW guys would run around with Cali tags) otherwise they won't let you use the tag. Once you've registered it you have to carry around the normal tag and the paper work for the year matched one. I've got a '71 tag on my '71 Beetle.

speedminded
10-16-2009, 12:23 PM
The Fireball 215 is a great engine in a '61 Buick, but I'd be skeptical of the British management and such, Lucas electronics... guhhhhh. Most LR's I have seen spend more time in the shop than on the road. (True for just about any Euro vehicle really) :crazy:

The Scout has all common as dirt American hardware... AMC engines, GM or Borg-Warner transmissions, Dana axles, etc etc. If it breaks in the woods you don't have to go to a Buckhead dealership to order parts.

As for the OP, I'm sure you have an alternator on there as a replacement for the original generator. Anything with an AMPS gauge had a generator. Alternators didn't catch on until about 1964, and they switched to volt gauges (or just warning lights) when they switched to alternators. Also, don't assume that just because its a Delco its originally from a GM vehicle... Delco components were used on lots of different vehicles back in the day, including some Ford and AMC applications.Good info. I like you. No homo.

Lucas - The Prince of Darkness.

I always bought used or made something else work for my Disco. Power steering hose: $60 at the dealership. Napa custom made, higher pressure than OEM: $8. Used alternator from a junk yard $80 shipped vs. $400. Drove back and forth to work for 4 days on an optima battery charging it each time...could get 55 miles on a charge before it would start cutting out lol! Had to put another transfer case in it...$800 shipped from a junkyard and installed.

This is correct. It also has to be the same year as the vehicle and from the state you are registering it in (VW guys would run around with Cali tags) otherwise they won't let you use the tag. Once you've registered it you have to carry around the normal tag and the paper work for the year matched one. I've got a '71 tag on my '71 Beetle.What happens if they didn't make a plate in that year? The Georgia plate was made in '83 then again in '90. Are all cars in between screwed? Can I use a '83 plate that has an '84 sticker on it?

Sucks the '76-'82 were red and white. I want a red plate to match the car lol!

Total_Blender
10-16-2009, 02:51 PM
What happens if they didn't make a plate in that year? The Georgia plate was made in '83 then again in '90. Are all cars in between screwed? Can I use a '83 plate that has an '84 sticker on it?

It has to "represent the same model year as the vehicle". If you start using different years and stickers it kinda loses the point. Also, this is kind of a moot point, because the cutoff for YOM plates is 1970. It would still be cool to run one on the front. I had the blue Cali plate on the front of my '79 Civic.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/fulltext/sb117.htm

My '61 ford is blue and the '61 plate was white and red. So it will clash a little but that doesn't bother me much.

speedminded
10-16-2009, 02:54 PM
It has to "represent the same model year as the vehicle". If you start using different years and stickers it kinda loses the point. Also, this is kind of a moot point, because the cutoff for YOM plates is 1970.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/fulltext/sb117.htm

My '61 ford is blue and the '61 plate was white and red. So it will clash a little but that doesn't bother me much.Wait, so not all vehicles eligible for an antique tag are eligible to use the YOM plates?!

VooDooXII
10-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Beautiful. Looks perfect to me. :goodjob:

HalfBaked
10-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I believed this thread until Jay mentioned having a date.

Now I know this thread is all just a joke.

Jecht
10-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Wait, so not all vehicles eligible for an antique tag are eligible to use the YOM plates?!

You TECHNICALLY aren't supposed to be able to get past 1970... but I've got a 1971 tag and so do a lot of other air cooled VW guys. Its all a matter of whether the person at the tag office is actually reading what they are supposed to do or not.

DVSRX-7
10-16-2009, 10:05 PM
looks nice, engine pics please!

speedminded
10-16-2009, 11:16 PM
You TECHNICALLY aren't supposed to be able to get past 1970... but I've got a 1971 tag and so do a lot of other air cooled VW guys. Its all a matter of whether the person at the tag office is actually reading what they are supposed to do or not.Well that sucks! I wanted a 1984 plate dammit lol!

1439/2000
10-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Well that sucks! I wanted a 1984 plate dammit lol!

Yeah 1970 and older is the rule. Meh, got a new electric fuel pump for it and it has cranked right up for me even when it was 40 degrees out about 30 minutes ago. Real test is in the morning but hopefully the garage will keep it warm enough.

Total_Blender
10-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah 1970 and older is the rule. Meh, got a new electric fuel pump for it and it has cranked right up for me even when it was 40 degrees out about 30 minutes ago. Real test is in the morning but hopefully the garage will keep it warm enough.

Was it running on an electric pump when you go it? I haven't had good luck with combining an electric pump with carbs myself, they usually blow the needle valve out of the carburetor.

1439/2000
10-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Was it running on an electric pump when you go it? I haven't had good luck with combining an electric pump with carbs myself, they usually blow the needle valve out of the carburetor.

You are using to high of a psi. I use a 4 psi max electric holley on all my carb'd cars to replace the manual pump (don't trust old diaphragms). Anything higher than 4 psi and you start over filling the bowl and tweak the needle. Mr gasket makes a good one that is about 40 bucks at pepboys as well. Works like a champ.

Side note I got that 1961 Cobb County tag and I'll be throwing that on this week.

ATL_EG
10-19-2009, 05:18 PM
man i had an old int. at one point, but it made it's last trip to the scrapyard :(

Total_Blender
10-19-2009, 05:26 PM
You are using to high of a psi..

Of course, but when you're at the junkyard the pumps don't have their PSI numbers listed on them. I suppose I might have better luck if I went with the aftermarket stuff. But the diaphragm pumps are fine if you're using the stock carb. I've been using the same one on my '62 Falcon for about 4 years and I have yet to have a problem with it.

1439/2000
10-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Cue ball shifter and 1961 Cobb County plate are on.
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/crankwalk/international5002.jpg
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/crankwalk/international5001.jpg