PDA

View Full Version : Obama wants to end "Don't ask, don't tell"

Ziptied
10-11-2009, 06:07 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479952,00.html

Do you agree? Yes or no, and explain.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UQWRFjOJur0/Sg_0aJsx_JI/AAAAAAAAAS0/o2dP1hn0F8U/s320/Don%27t-Ask-Don%27t-Tell.jpg

Friggintitsman
10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Dude if you get anywhere near a faggot and your gaydar doesn't start bitching you are pretty much doomed to get the hucklebuck either way.

On_Her_Face
10-11-2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479952,00.html

Do you agree? Yes or no, and explain.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UQWRFjOJur0/Sg_0aJsx_JI/AAAAAAAAAS0/o2dP1hn0F8U/s320/Don%27t-Ask-Don%27t-Tell.jpg

No, because sexual orientation does not need to be discussed in the ARMY openly. If somebody becomes your friend and tells you that is different though.

green91
10-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I really don't see what difference someone's sexual orientation makes in their ability to serve their country. Do I want a Gay guy to hit on me... no. Do I still appreciate a Gay guy protecting the USA? Absolutely. Stupid policy.

Friggintitsman
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I really don't see what difference someone's sexual orientation makes in their ability to serve their country. Do I want a Gay guy to hit on me... no. Do I still appreciate a Gay guy protecting the USA? Absolutely. Stupid policy.

Ok think of it this way. In the military often times you room/shower/live with other people. Generally most people will feel very uncomfortable knowing that they guy sleeping next to them is gay. It's ignorant to be paranoid about something so stupid, but ignorance breeds heavily in the human race especially amongst military people.

Vteckidd
10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I dont think there should be a BAN on gays in the military, but i agree with the dont ask dont tell.

Someones sexual orientation is not needed for other jobs, why the military?

green91
10-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Ok think of it this way. In the military often times you room/shower/live with other people. Generally most people will feel very uncomfortable knowing that they guy sleeping next to them is gay. It's ignorant to be paranoid about something so stupid, but ignorance breeds heavily in the human race especially amongst military people.

I do see this and agree with you. I guess I do agree with vk in that I don't think they should be banned, but I also don't think they should be forced to disclose their orientation if they don't want to.. or even if they do, they shouldn't be discriminated on.

I dont think there should be a BAN on gays in the military, but i agree with the dont ask dont tell.

Not only is it not needed, im certain it would be ILLEGAL to be discriminant over someone's sexual orientation.

ed_gm90
10-11-2009, 06:37 PM
is this what he's spending his time on?

imperception
10-11-2009, 06:43 PM

I might argue with you Mike on the persuasion issue at work. I believe there is a lot of behind close doors discrimination about ones choice at work (admit it, some are more obviously gay than others that chose to carry themselves more like a masculine guy). I have witnessed a former employer not taking a qualified candidate because they "looked" gay.

In the military, you would think, since it's almost all swinging d*cks, a secret like that wouldn't be kept a secret long. I would believe though that it has it's downfalls. A ban, however, would be considerably out of the question.

imperception
10-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Not only is it not needed, im certain it would be ILLEGAL to be discriminant over someone's sexual orientation.

They DO keep women off of submarines in the Navy...never say never.

Arm&hammer
10-11-2009, 06:47 PM
the law was made because some army guys beat up and killed a homosexual. It can happen again and the law does not need to be ended.

Echonova
10-11-2009, 06:56 PM
the law was made because some army guys beat up and killed a homosexual. I can happen again and the law does not need to be ended.wut?

On a side note I think our military should be more like the movie Starship Troopers and men and women should shower together.

Enlistment would skyrocket...

imperception
10-11-2009, 07:10 PM
wut?

On a side note I think our military should be more like the movie Starship Troopers and men and women should shower together.

Enlistment would skyrocket...

this might be the EXACT reason why the Navy chooses not to have women on submarines...I think not only would enlistment skyrocket, but so would STD, pregnancy, domestic problems etc lol....

HOWEVER, I do kind of like your idea lol...

Vteckidd
10-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I was going to say if anyone is openly gay in the military there would be huge retribution. Something like that would be buried by the individual

how many gays really enter the military? I doubt very many

women are allowed on ships right?

Paul
10-11-2009, 08:19 PM
it shouldn't matter either way, gay/straight, man/woman... who cares?

imperception
10-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I was going to say if anyone is openly gay in the military there would be huge retribution. Something like that would be buried by the individual

Well, I forget the ratio but I think the highest is on the aircraft carriers. That might be because it has the highest number of people employed an running it.

it shouldn't matter either way, gay/straight, man/woman... who cares?

that's where I'm at...frigin go for it either way blokes, sheilas, whatevas.

NickW
10-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I personally don't care what other people do, but it's going to cause a lot of problems. Like someone above said, you room with people in the military. They generally room guys with guys and the girls with girls....sooooo are they going to start rooming gay guys with girls or segregate them from both? I mean it is pretty much the same principle of seperating the guys and girls. And that's just one of many issues that will come up.

Reguardless of if it is a "big deal" to some or that "it shouldn't matter"...since when does that hold presidence? There are a large number of people who don't look at things that way and like I said, it'll cause a lot of problems to change the way it is.

AFSil80
10-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Underlying truth is that it would be bad for morale.

While I think it's admirable for anyone to want to serve, regardless of their race, religion, or sexual preference; homosexuality creates a more hostile atmosphere. As stated a few posts earlier, I think it's more for their safety that "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" remains in effect.

tony
10-11-2009, 10:13 PM

You'd be very suprised. Two of the guys in my basic training flight were openly gay, did anyone care? No, there were more pressing issues going on..

Don't ask don't tell is a stupid compromise and should be ended. I serve with many that everyone knows is gay but nobody gives a damn. At the end of the day as long as you do your job that is all that matters.

tony
10-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Underlying truth is that it would be bad for morale.

While I think it's admirable for anyone to want to serve, regardless of their race, religion, or sexual preference; homosexuality creates a more hostile atmosphere. As stated a few posts earlier, I think it's more for their safety that "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" remains in effect.

lol I have to wonder if some of you have this impression like gay couples will be walking around base holding hands and kissing. I don't know about other branches but in the Air Force STRAIGHT couples can't even touch in uniform let alone the same sex. I guarantee the day don't ask don't tell is abolished I wont be able to tell the difference going into work from the last.

If you're threatened by gay people or it brings down your morale I seriously doubt the gay person is the problem.. I'm just saying..

AFSil80
10-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I never said it would affect me.

But it would be foolish to assume that it would go over well on all fronts. You don't have to explain the rules on PDA in the service. I know how it is.

imperception
10-12-2009, 07:02 AM
You'd be very suprised. Two of the guys in my basic training flight were openly gay, did anyone care? No, there were more pressing issues going on..

Don't ask don't tell is a stupid compromise and should be ended. I serve with many that everyone knows is gay but nobody gives a damn. At the end of the day as long as you do your job that is all that matters.

:cheers:

BobbyFresco
10-12-2009, 07:44 AM
The flipside to the no one cares if you're gay and in the military is that there have been numerous publicized cases where people have been murdered by their fellow service men because of their sexual orientation. I'm not a gambling man but I'm willing to bet that for every situation that hits the media, there are 20 that remain unheard. Call me ignorant, but if your job doesn't have anything to do with your sexuality, what does one have to gain by putting it out there? Quite frankly, heterosexuals don't feel the need to wear their orientation on their sleeves like a badge of honor. Conversely, I don't understand why gays feel it is necessary to advertise their sexuality.

imperception
10-12-2009, 07:51 AM

see, thinking cap on. nice job mate.

Quite frankly, heterosexuals don't feel the need to wear their orientation on their sleeves like a badge of honor. Conversely, I don't understand why gays feel it is necessary to advertise their sexuality.

I have been told the reason why the blatant show is because they are apparently tired of being in hiding or being ridiculed for their choices by heterosexuals. Now, is the question "is it right" or is the question "is this socially acceptable to mainstream society"?

Do I think it's right for them to wear badges and rainbows, mate, I don't care what they do, but it seems a bit ridiculous to me. Now, as for acceptable to mainstream society...well, not so far, but it seems to be tolerated. I think if we wore some type of hetero badge we would be laughed off mate. I don't get it either.

Again, who cares?

xxbckiexx
10-12-2009, 08:55 AM

you say that now. until you bunk with him and wake up with a bump in your bum...

xxbckiexx
10-12-2009, 08:57 AM

no ones surprised that they allow gays in the US Air Force reserve where they will never see a barrack or battle field. JUST SAYIN'

EJ25RUN
10-12-2009, 09:04 AM
If you're threatened by gay people or it brings down your morale I seriously doubt the gay person is the problem.. I'm just saying..

If only more people understood that.

tony
10-12-2009, 10:01 AM
no ones surprised that they allow gays in the US Air Force reserve where they will never see a barrack or battle field. JUST SAYIN'

Lol you're right, but I'm not complaining that the AF takes care of their people, if that bothers someone maybe they should have made better choices, if they scored high enough that is. Just sayin...

Total_Blender
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM

I agree with this statement. :goodjob:

As for allowing the openly gay to serve causing problems... isn't the military about dicipline, self control, etc etc? Aren't they supposed to teach you how to overcome your differences to work with people from different classes/races/etc? Why should sexual orientation be any different?

blacknightteg
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
i think the policy "dont ask, dont tell" is beyond stupid. in my opinion. i think anyone and everyone should be allowed to serve in the military. if you are that closed minded about a guy maybe being attracted to you while your in the armed services thats pathetic in my opinion. to me, if a guy person knows someone is not gay, their not going to try and make someone gay, i mean seriously? i highly doubt that if a guy guy was in the military, that he would not respect his brothers in arms choices. I also highly doubt that the gays that would be in the military are going to be the flamboyant that people are probably thinking. a gay that joins the military is highly likely to be about as manly as any other soilder in that unit, his sexual orientation is just different.

im not gay, but i think people who dont respect gays, and let them do what they want to do are pathetic. one of my fathers best friends who was a good family friend as well was one of the nicest guys i have ever met. he was a human being, with different choices.

xxbckiexx
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Lol you're right, but I'm not complaining that the AF takes care of their people, if that bothers someone maybe they should have made better choices, if they scored high enough that is. Just sayin...

yea i don't really care whether or not a gay is int he military. really makes no difference to me. i was just saying, reserves is a whole lot different than actual service, so i can understand them taking literally ANYBODY into reserves. They know 95% of those reserves will never serve, so it makes no difference.

tony
10-12-2009, 01:41 PM
yea i don't really care whether or not a gay is int he military. really makes no difference to me. i was just saying, reserves is a whole lot different than actual service, so i can understand them taking literally ANYBODY into reserves. They know 95% of those reserves will never serve, so it makes no difference.

The people I referred to are active duty personnel, even high ranking officers. I worked with them while on active orders, as far as my unit goes I haven't run into anyone that gives me that impression, my unit is typically higher ranking nco's who were prior service.

Vteckidd
10-12-2009, 03:21 PM

WHOA WHOA WHOA SON!

(dad was a 20+ year Air FOrce Veteran =P)

BanginJimmy
10-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I have no problems with gays in the military just because they are gay, but it does bring up alot of logistical issues. Where do you room them at at with? Cant room them with the same sex for the same reason you dont room straight members with the opposite sex. The same goes for showers. I am completely against gays serving in combat zones though. All logistical issues in the garrison are compounded many times over when you have very limited resources.

Dont ask dont tell is a useless piece of legislation, but at the same time there really isnt a good solution to the problem that I can think of.

Total_Blender
10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
The thing about rooming/bunking together is that the soldiers will be in close quarters whether the gays are openly gay or in the closet. As long as gay-ness stays trapped in the closet, there will be homophobia and hate. When you have restrictions on where gays can/can't serve, it legitimizes the hatespeak and prejudice. The way for gays to truly be accepted as equals in society is to break the glass ceilings as to where they can't be open with their sexuality. I'm not saying that gays should join the military just to promote equality, what I'm saying is that if a gay person were to serve, they shouldn't have to mis-represent themselves, they should have just as much right to represent themselves and be who they as as straight people.

Not that you get a whole lot of opportunity to "represent yourself" in the military anyway since you have code of conduct, uniforms, etc.

Imagine if you had someone telling you when and where you can be straight... sexual orientation its a part of who we are as Human Beings and we just can't "turn it off". We can repress it, but its still there under the surface.

Maniacc
10-15-2009, 01:45 PM
The military should be allowed to discriminate against homosexuals - just as they may legally not allow people who do not meet height requirements, have certain psychiatric disorders, or are too overweight to join.

I personally think gays should be excluded from the military on the basis of their increased likelihood of limp-wristed prancing in tough combat situations. Plus gay men are more likely to have HIV/AIDS than heterosexuals. In a combat situation the exchange of blood is very likely to occur, and I know that I would be fucking pissed if I ended up catching AIDS from an army comrade.

tony
10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
The gay community (with the exception of undercover black males) are very conscious of STD's, moreso than individuals who are heterosexual. Sexual orientation does not hinder your ability to lead or be supportive of the mission. We all have differences when that uniform is off but that does not affect what we do when the uniform is on.

As for the blood thing, if you cannot give blood the military makes it known and again.. does not hinder the mission. I have a G-6PD deficiency which prevents me from giving blood, they just go right on to the next person.

Total_Blender
10-15-2009, 03:30 PM
:blah:.

Dude, seriously? :lmfao:

I think some of the most vocal homophobes in society are actually repressed gays. They don't want to be around it because they're afraid they might like it.

If theres gay in your heart, let it out bro.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KZp7paoEtmU/SNDh639nM5I/AAAAAAAABE0/n89RvqDoCwk/s320/fabulous.jpg

On a serious note though, I seriously doubt anyone with HIV or full blown AIDS is going to be in combat. The way they screen you for things in the Army it seems like that is something they'd catch right away.

Maniacc
10-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Dude, seriously? :lmfao:

I think some of the most vocal homophobes in society are actually repressed gays. They don't want to be around it because they're afraid they might like it.

If theres gay in your heart, let it out bro.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KZp7paoEtmU/SNDh639nM5I/AAAAAAAABE0/n89RvqDoCwk/s320/fabulous.jpg

On a serious note though, I seriously doubt anyone with HIV or full blown AIDS is going to be in combat. The way they screen you for things in the Army it seems like that is something they'd catch right away.

Calm down, skippy Mcfuck. I've noticed that you're always coming up with some crappy retort when someone doesn't agree with you or Obama's agenda. Not everyone is going to agree with your diety of a president. Haha, oh and did my post really make me seem like a homophobic? "Guys can we lock this thread? Discussing homosexuality always makes me feel really uncomfortable and brings up things I just cannot deal with right now." Yeah, okay, man. I don't give a shit about a person's sexual preferences. You have to admit though, dude, gay sex in the butthole is pretty fucking gross.

Let's get back on track though. I'm trying to advocate protecting the lives of soldiers who are not HIV+, or would you prefer people in the military be more likely exposed to yet another potentially lethal threat because they chose a profession that is inherently risky and therefore should be considered expendable?

Total_Blender
10-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Let's get back on track though. I'm trying to advocate protecting the lives of soldiers who are not HIV+, or would you prefer people in the military be more likely exposed to yet another potentially lethal threat because they chose a profession that is inherently risky and therefore should be considered expendable?

Anyone and everyone is in danger of HIV nowadays, even us breeders. You're just as much in danger of HIV from your hetero comrades who fuck around as you are from any homosexuals. If anything I would say you might be in more danger from straight people because most gays are aware of the risks and actually get themselves tested regularly, rather than living in denial of their risk like yourself and all the other homophobes who believe that God sent AIDS to destroy the gays..

Maniacc
10-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Anyone and everyone is in danger of HIV nowadays, even us breeders. You're just as much in danger of HIV from your hetero comrades who fuck around as you are from any homosexuals. If anything I would say you might be in more danger from straight people because most gays are aware of the risks and actually get themselves tested regularly, rather than living in denial of their risk like yourself and all the other homophobes who believe that God sent AIDS to destroy the gays..

Haha, you are fucking ridiculous.

1. I don't believe in God. I stopped believing what was being told to me at church at a very, very early age.
2. You're making me out to seem like a Republican, and lemme tell you; I am far from one.

Homosexuals although a very neat, and clean species are also fucking morons. I'm sure they get annual/monthly check-ups, but they are constantly engaging in butthole sex. I personally have no problem with homosexuality, but get real man. Would a homosexual really have the courage that people in the military require to succesfully guard their assigned station? If I knew that my comrade enjoyed sucking dick dry I would be hesitant to roll with him to the front lines.

Total_Blender
10-16-2009, 12:15 PM
If I knew that my comrade enjoyed sucking dick dry I would be hesitant to roll with him to the front lines.

I am friends with few gay people (and I have a couple of gay relatives) and I would defend them to the death, I'd trust them to defend my life as well. They are people no different from you and I except for which orifice they choose. Which is totally their business and has no bearing on me at all.

From what you posted though, your life is worth maybe $0.05 to me right now because your only use to society is as a bullet cushion. $0.05 is about what a 7.62x39 round costs in the Pakastani black market, right?

Anywho, carry on.

Maniacc
10-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Stop being so sensitive, buzo. I know a couple gay dudes too, and I have no problem with them. They're funny motherfuckers who can really help you out if you're trying to get laid. My opinion is that they could do whatever the fuck they want - I, personally just wouldn't want one beside me in combat.

02SloWrx
10-16-2009, 12:57 PM

because military is real mans job, gay guy is not a real man.

Total_Blender
10-16-2009, 01:17 PM
because military is real mans job, gay guy is not a real man.

Dear Guy

Please, elaborate on what is/isn't a "real" man. I find all this hate speak, self righteous doubletalk, and vulgar display of ignorance absolutely hilarious.

Your friend,

Total Blender

Justin51982
10-27-2009, 09:47 AM

My sentiments exactly.

BanginJimmy
10-29-2009, 10:56 PM
The thing about rooming/bunking together is that the soldiers will be in close quarters whether the gays are openly gay or in the closet.

Of course, if no one knows they are gay they are going to slip through.

As long as gay-ness stays trapped in the closet, there will be homophobia and hate.

Its been years since gay were "trapped in the closet". This thread has nothing to do with homophobia or hate. Disagreeing with the end of this law has nothing to do with either.

When you have restrictions on where gays can/can't serve, it legitimizes the hatespeak and prejudice.

No it doesnt. This is about logistics. There are simply situations that make it impossible to provide the proper levels of privacy that are needed with people of different sexes (I use that term to keep things in context.).

The way for gays to truly be accepted as equals in society is to break the glass ceilings as to where they can't be open with their sexuality.

there is no glass ceiling in this case.

I'm not saying that gays should join the military just to promote equality, what I'm saying is that if a gay person were to serve, they shouldn't have to mis-represent themselves, they should have just as much right to represent themselves and be who they as as straight people.

Thats all fine and dandy, but there are situations that simply dont lend itself to that. This is no different than expecting men and women to live together.

Imagine if you had someone telling you when and where you can be straight... sexual orientation its a part of who we are as Human Beings and we just can't "turn it off". We can repress it, but its still there under the surface.

blah blah blah.