PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of internet explorer

BanginJimmy
10-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I dont know much about computers so keep this simple for me.

I want to uninstall internet explorer on my laptop. I use firefox v3.5 for my internet and I am trying to dump everything on this laptop that I dont want, explorer being one of them.

So how do I do it?

jorgen
10-11-2009, 04:24 PM
control panel
add remove programs
add remove windows components

Revmaynard
10-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Keep in mind, if you need to use a window's based site to download any updates you don't automatically download you have to use IE.

BanginJimmy
10-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Keep in mind, if you need to use a window's based site to download any updates you don't automatically download you have to use IE.

I cannot do that with firefox?

BanginJimmy
10-11-2009, 04:37 PM
control panel
add remove programs
add remove windows components

I dont see where to remove windows components.

uproot
10-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I cannot do that with firefox?

I think windows updates do require IE... but I could be wrong... I just remember the last time I updated, I had to use IE.

BanginJimmy
10-11-2009, 04:43 PM
ok, I guess I will keep it then.

dorin48
10-12-2009, 08:51 AM
ok, I guess I will keep it then.

Good idea, its like pulling the stitches out of a wound. Stitches are annoying but the alternative...

quickdodgeŽ
10-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I've had IE removed from my computer for about a year now. I have no problems. Later, QD.

sprix!
10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
It isn't really much of a problem except when you run into some sites and services that only function with internet Explorer. I still have it installed on my computers, but I use Google Chrome 99% of the time.

quickdodgeŽ
10-12-2009, 09:39 AM
It isn't really much of a problem except when you run into some sites and services that only function with internet Explorer.

I am all over the Net all kinds of hours in the day and I have never had a problem with a site due to not having IE. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. Just saying my experience. Later, QD.

Total_Blender
10-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I am thinking IE is needed to run the programs that do maintainence and updates on Windows. I deleted IE one time and then I needed a driver or something and couldn't get it. I ended up having to get one of my friends who is super-knowledgable about computers to come help me, and she ended up wiping the hard drive and re-formatting everything.

You can probably get by without IE if you know what you're doing, but I wouldn't advise it. :2cents: