PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with computers?

Sunkenkarma
10-09-2009, 09:47 PM
So today I went to turn off my computer, a few hours later I come back, and now It wont turn on, I unplugged the HDD, RAM, Video card, everything not need besides the Mobo, and still nothing. The only thing I can really think of is the Power supply? anyone know much about PCs? Could use alot help! :boobies:

DaSmittyman
10-09-2009, 11:06 PM
try to use a different cable from your psu to wall outlet, also try a different outlet. Do you smell a burning smell from your psu, also make sure that the fan is spinning on your psu.

Sunkenkarma
10-09-2009, 11:32 PM
tryed different cables and outlets, no smell, and nothing spinning inside.

guinness
10-10-2009, 03:51 PM
it's your power supply.there's no power coming from your power supply to the various parts of your computer to make stuff "spin".If the wall out has power, check the power cable going to the PC to see if AC voltage is making its way to the system unit.do this with the use of a multimeter.if there is power,you will have to open the PC and check for power from the power supply to the motherboard.when using a multimeter to check voltage, be sure you have a good ground for the black lead of the multimeter.

If the wall outlet and the power cord are good, make sure the connection at the motherboard is secure. Then you may have to face the fact that the power supply itself is bad. If you have a multimeter, you can test the power supply output before purchasing a new one. Simply follow these steps:

Turn off the PC, but do not unplug it. Open the system unit. Set the multimeter to read DC volts in the next range higher than 12 volts. Locate a power connector similar to the hard drive (or CD-ROM drive connector that is unused) and turn on the PC.
You can also unplug a drive connector and use it. Turn on the PC and insert the BLACK probe into the power connector on one of the BLACK wires. Touch the RED probe to the YELLOW wire on the power connector.
The multimeter reading should be +12 volts. Now touch the RED probe to the RED wire and the reading should be +5 volts. If no readings or different readings occurred, you’ll have to replace the power supply. If the readings were correct, you should check the P8 or P9 connectors at the motherboard. These connectors may also be named P4 and P5. To check these connectors, perform the following:
Insert the BLACK probe into P8 at one of the BLACK wires. Insert the RED probe into the P8 connector at the RED wire. The reading on the multimeter should be +5 volts.
Check the power going to the motherboard connections by inserting the RED probe into P8 at the YELLOW wire and you should get +12 volts. Leave the BLACK wire touching the BLACK wire at the P8 connector. Check the BLUE wire and the reading should be a -12 volts.
Now move the BLACK probe to the BLACK wire on the P9 connector. Test the WHITE wire by inserting the RED probe and the reading should be -5 volts. Check the RED wires on the P9 connector and you should get +5 volts on each red wire. You won’t get exactly 5 or 12 volts, but the readings will be very close, such as 5.02 volts.
If the Power Supply is a couple of volts off in either direction, such as when the RED wire should be reading -5 volts but it reads -8 volts, or if there are no readings, replace the power supply.

good luck with it.

civicturbo10
10-10-2009, 10:44 PM
i'm gonna guess pwr supply. My no name el cheapo went out a few yrs back. Cheap pwr suppplies don't last b/c they are built with cheap parts. For my new build got a corsair PSU that cost 2 - 3 times my original but it should go 6 yrs+ no problem.