10-09-2009, 06:37 AM
IMPACT.

bdydrpdmazda
10-09-2009, 06:41 AM
wait, they are bombing the moon?

Elbow
10-09-2009, 06:43 AM
They just did.

Not really a bomb though, they impacted it when a small ship thing that broke the surface, they are trying to see if there is water on the moon.

Elbow
10-09-2009, 06:44 AM
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LCROSS/overview/index.html

EM1toEVO
10-09-2009, 06:45 AM
That's smart thinking, lol. Lets bolw a hole in the moon to see if it contains water. It's an uninhabitable rock with no atmosphere.

bdydrpdmazda
10-09-2009, 06:46 AM
yeah, who cares if it contains water, they thinkin about building a prison up there or something?

EM1toEVO
10-09-2009, 06:48 AM
So after reading that link, I'm assuming that they want to use the moon as a pitstop for further explorations.

bdydrpdmazda
10-09-2009, 06:53 AM
bathroom break on the moon is FTW

Elbow
10-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Yeah and other stuff I guess, they were talking about the reasons for doing it on their website before they did the countdown.

Total_Blender
10-09-2009, 07:15 AM
So whats the conspiracy angle on this?

NASA establishing concentration camps on the moon?

The NWO trying to knock the moon off course to fuck up our weather?

NASA bombing secret alien bases?

Come on guys, surely some of you Jones fans can provide me entertainment with your crackpot conspiracy theories.:D

bdydrpdmazda
10-09-2009, 07:16 AM
So whats the conspiracy angle on this?

NASA establishing concentration camps on the moon?

The NWO trying to knock the moon off course to fuck up our weather?

NASA bombing secret alien bases?

Come on guys, surely some of you Jones fans can provide me entertainment with your crackpot conspiracy theories.:D
these are all great questions

Total_Blender
10-09-2009, 07:18 AM
So after reading that link, I'm assuming that they want to use the moon as a pitstop for further explorations.

This and possibly colonization. A space station on the moon would be a great pitstop/base for a mission to Mars. We can't stay on the moon as it is for more than a few days because we have to take water with us and potable water is heavy/bulky and can't be compressed (or can it?). If we had a water source on the moon we could stay much, much longer. :goodjob:

brownboi512
10-09-2009, 08:14 AM

yeah, an idea was proposed on making it into a base for future mars and beyond missions. a lot more cost effective and feasible to launch from the moon rather from earth.

Total_Blender
10-09-2009, 09:41 AM
yeah, an idea was proposed on making it into a base for future mars and beyond missions. a lot more cost effective and feasible to launch from the moon rather from earth.

Not quite sure what the escape velocity is for the moon, but I'm sure its waaaayyy less than Earth, so the fuel savings would be pretty substantial. Of course, any fuel/material for a Mars launch would still have to be transported up from Earth to the moon anyway. I forget what it costs per/lb to transport materials into space, but I know its $$$.

Also, I read somewhere that from a certain ammount of lunar material (say 5lb) there is the elemental equivalent of a grilled cheese sandwich and a glass of milk. So maybe the scientists will figure some way for lunar astronauts to get a portion of their calories from the Moon itself. They might be able to set up a greenhouse and grow plants in the lunar soil, for example.

BABY J
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I like @ 5:00 how the guy gets OWNED w/ no hi-five! LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVyEOFfv_lo&feature=player_embedded

BluesClues
10-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I missed it :cry:
You fuckers get up too early

brownboi512
10-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Not quite sure what the escape velocity is for the moon, but I'm sure its waaaayyy less than Earth, so the fuel savings would be pretty substantial. Of course, any fuel/material for a Mars launch would still have to be transported up from Earth to the moon anyway. I forget what it costs per/lb to transport materials into space, but I know its $$$.

Also, I read somewhere that from a certain ammount of lunar material (say 5lb) there is the elemental equivalent of a grilled cheese sandwich and a glass of milk. So maybe the scientists will figure some way for lunar astronauts to get a portion of their calories from the Moon itself. They might be able to set up a greenhouse and grow plants in the lunar soil, for example.

since the moon has 1/5 of the atmosphere of the earth (dont quote me on that, i just know its a lot less) its gonna take a lot less fuel to get to mars/beyond and if they find a good form of hydrogen on the moon, fuel production could happen on the moon. since we are really underfunded for future missions (augustine report) this is a pretty big deal to make it more cost effective to go to the moon.

and yea we were cracking up about the no high five as well over here.

S2KJD
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
awesome glad my taxes could be of use :rolleyes: