PDA

View Full Version : Plasti-guage question.

dorin48
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I know I could look this up but i felt like giving our experts a chance to show off.

I understand what and why but not how.

Whats the technique for using plasti-guage?

:???:

RBS
10-07-2009, 12:00 PM
place it between the crank and bearing, torque down, carefully remove and then measure... pretty simple

dorin48
10-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Makes sense. I knew it would be simple but just wasn't sure.

RBS
10-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Werd

dallasb84
10-07-2009, 01:42 PM
it will also come with a little chart thing that you compare the smash width for the clearance....... doesnt usually come with the plastiguage i dont believe but i used to have one before i lent it out....

green91
10-07-2009, 08:37 PM
it will also come with a little chart thing that you compare the smash width for the clearance....... doesnt usually come with the plastiguage i dont believe but i used to have one before i lent it out....

The plastigauge comes in the package thats used for the gauge, it always come with it.

For most import motors you will need the GREEN plastiguage.

JJSPEC Racing
10-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Make sure you clean the oil off of both surfaces and dont let the crank rotate any. Both of these will affect the reading. And correct on the package having the chart on it. You probably want to use the green plastigage for crank and rod stuff.

Cool Cat Racing
10-11-2009, 09:00 AM
I won't use it anymore. Its too easy to get a false reading if anything moves or the cap rocks coming off. I use a ball micrometer and a dial caliper to verify clearances. Its more expensive to go that route so if you're only building one engine its probably not worth it but for me and as anal as I am about stuff like that it was worth it.

B18c1Turboed
10-11-2009, 11:11 AM
We have never plasti gauge a motor and they all have been fine. We use standard bearing and roll with it...

JJSPEC Racing
10-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I won't use it anymore. Its too easy to get a false reading if anything moves or the cap rocks coming off. I use a ball micrometer and a dial caliper to verify clearances. Its more expensive to go that route so if you're only building one engine its probably not worth it but for me and as anal as I am about stuff like that it was worth it.

This is definately the best way. Just answering the op's questions about the Plastigage.

Init2winit
10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
We have never plasti gauge a motor and they all have been fine. We use standard bearing and roll with it...
LoL