PDA

View Full Version : Even God Hates RX8s............

Vteckidd
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Let me tell you a story. So my daily driver for the last year has been a 2004 Mazda RX8.

Back at the end of August i went on a trip to Destin Florida for Dan aka GGPIS3s bachelor Party. I drove down there.

On the way back from Destin i was on US 431 (i believe in Alabama) heading back home. I went through a TERRIBLE storm, pouring down rain, debris on the road, etc. Well US431 is mainly a 2 lane road on the section i was on and goes through some pretty rural areas.

As the storm started to lift, i was on a 2 lane road in the middle of a rural wooded area, and it was still raining.

About that time i see a huge FLASH of light out of the corner of my left eye. It pretty much blinded me for a few seconds. It was followed by a tremendous rumble and sounded like something landed on the roof of the car. My left ear also went deaf for a minute as it sounded like someone fired a round off. Holy shit i had just been struck by lighting

At that instant, the car died. Everything shut off, warning lights came on, etc. As i was still moving, the first thing i did was pop the clutch to see if i could get the car to start. Lucky for me it fired up instantly. However, at this point i started to notice almost all the electrical systems in the car were not working including

1) Electric Power steering
2) Cruise Control
3) ABS BRakes
4) Digital Speedometer
5) E-Brake indicator light stays on
6) Tire Pressure sensor light stays on
7) Cruise Control buttons on steering wheel do not work

After doing some quick thinking , i decided to keep driving and to NOT shut the car off as i was in the middle of NOWHERE and did not want to get stranded. I proceeded to drive another 150 miles back to atlanta. Once i got home i inspected the car for burn marks , blown fuses, etc. i could not find anything wrong.

Monday morning i called my Insurance company, USAA. They stated it falls under my comprehensive coverage policy as "ACT OF GOD" and it will be covered. They wanted me to drop it off at a Dealership near my house, so i chose Jim Ellis Mazda, the place originally the car was purchased.

Vteckidd
10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I drop off the RX8 at Jim Ellis and explain to them that the car was going to have an insurance adjuster come out and look at the car. The guys at Jim Ellis said no problem and they would call me later.

Around 1pm the insurance adjuster shows up from USAA. He proceeds to look for damage he called "evidence of lightning strike". The things he was looking for was chips on the paint or burn marks, heat marks on my wheels , cracks in the wheels , or evidence of massive electrical failure such as fried wiring, multiple systems on the car not working , etc.

Upon his PRELIMINARY inspection he could not find any of the heat or burn marks that he said "USUALLY comes from a lightning strike". He then admitted to me that "I have worked some cases where the car was hit by lightning and i could not find the damage anywhere".

At this moment he asked the tech at Jim Ellis "Since i cannot find any evidence of a lightning strike, what do you think is wrong? What causes all these systems to not work?"

The tech replied "there are some modules under the clutch pedal that control or power the PS,ABS, CC we can look there and see if any wiring is fried".

This is where it gets trick so pay attention.

About 5 months ago, i had a problem with my clutch pedal in the RX8. Apparently its a common problem, the clutch pedal is spot welded to a plate that is bolted to the firewall. Over time, the spot welds fail/break and then you get side to side movement and a clutch that doesnt work. Well you can either A) Buy a new clutch pedal assembly , THAT WILL FAIL AGAIN, for $1200 or B) Put a larger weld on the pedal so it doesnt break again. I went with option B.

I had Mainstream Performance REMOVE my clutch pedal from the car, reweld it OUTSIDE OF THE CAR , then reinstall the clutch pedal. the car drove fine and its never given me another problem. Again this was OVER 5 MONTHS AGO before the lightning strike.

Ok back to the TEch at Jim Ellis. He decides to go looking under the dash for these control modules to see if there is anything down there that could be wrong. About this point he sees that my clutch pedal has been welded (the one from 5 MONTHS AGO). He turns to the insurance adjuster and says "Looks like they welded this clutch pedal, that prob caused all this stuff to fail". His contention is that we welded it ON THE CAR and didnt properly ground the car therefore causing the issues. Obviously thats not true

CASE CLOSED USAA calls me and says its my fault and it is not covered.

Vteckidd
10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Naturally i am FURIOUS that they didnt even call me to check with me on the matter. I explain to the adjuster that

1) There is NO WAY IN HELL the clutch pedal welding repair caused any sort of damage because it was removed from the car, and done over 5 months ago. Electrical systems either WORK or they DONT WORK. Theres not halfway working and magically all fail simultaneously at the same time months later.

2) I explain to him the problem with the RX8 Clutch pedals, and that its a common known issue that mazda refuses to warranty. I also tell him that the repairs were done at an ASE certified mechanics place of business.

3) I tell him that i find it highly unlikely these systems "just went bad" at the exact moment i was struck by lightning.

USAA Still contends that since they cannot find any evidence of a lightning strike, therefore it didnt happen. I faxed them repair orders, written statements from Mainstream Performance and FastLANE Import Auto repair (who does my regular maint) both companies saying that when they worked on the car everything worked, and that there were no signs of electrical issues. I also had Charles from MSPi write a letter stating how long hes been a welder and that it was impossible for their repairs to cause the current damage on the car.

Even after all this, USAA still claims that it doesnt matter that i can prove the car was repaired properly. They contend since there is NO EVIDENCE of a lightning strike , its not covered. EVEN THOUGH THE ADJUSTER TOLD ME THAT HE HAS WORKED CASES WHERE THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE TO BE FOUND.

So now im stuck with a $13,000 car that prob isnt worth much over $5000. Maxda wants over $4800 to replace the modules, and that doesnt even guarantee that they will fix my problems anyway. What if the ACTUAL computers are fried, or the wiring is fried, or the units themselves are bad (like the PS) etc.

Now the car runs, drives, lights work, etc. I guess ill attempt to replace a module or 2 from a wrecked car myself and see if i can find anything. but what really upsets me is that because some tech at Jim Ellis opened his mouth, USAA refuses to investigate any further. My family has used USAA for 30 years.

/the end

thegovanator
10-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Maybe God just hates you and not rotarys?

Benefit
10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
fuck u faggot

stillaneon
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Maybe God just hates you and not rotarys?

I disagree

I've owned a rotary. God definitely hates them

Elbow
10-05-2009, 01:02 PM
DAMN, that's crazy. My moms car was hit in their driveway years ago, it fried the ECU and other electronics. You could see the burn mark and follow it all the way. You're lucky it didn't get you.

thegovanator
10-05-2009, 01:04 PM
stillaneon, you're probably right. God has fucked mine over a few times...

xxbckiexx
10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
happened to my father before. he said he had to get all his electronics in the car replaced.. radio.etc etc.etc.... even the wires had to be redone.

blue94eg6
10-05-2009, 01:06 PM
that sux bro that it happen to you

xxbckiexx
10-05-2009, 01:06 PM
and to everyone else. god hates anyone dumb enough to buy a rotary. thus why all you fools with roatary's keep having problems :D

thegovanator
10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
^ Sad but true, but I still love the things to death.

Vteckidd
10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
fuck u faggot

Ill give you $1000 for that hunk of shit integra, then ill burn it in front of your house

Hows that sound

xxbckiexx
10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Ill give you $1000 for that hunk of shit integra, then ill burn it in front of your house

Hows that sound

sounds like i want in on half of that deal.

AnthonyF
10-05-2009, 01:25 PM
You take a weird road to Destin.

-Ant.

TheGodfather
He probably hates you too.

Vteckidd
Yeah oh well, i guess ill just have to try an fix it myself and see what happens. MaYBE i will get lucky and find a bunch of wires burned somewhere but i doubt it.

Just sucks cause i couldnt make this shit up

Vteckidd
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Maybe it was US331. Id have to check my GPS

On_Her_Face
10-05-2009, 01:30 PM
That's pretty crazy, never heard of that happening before.

SouthrnStyle
10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Blow it up now!!

AnthonyF
10-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Maybe it was US331. Id have to check my GPS

yeah, 331. That's how I go. To state road 85 past Betty's Fireworks.

-Ant.

RandomGuy
10-05-2009, 01:39 PM
time for the first 2jz Rx8 lol

might as well

RandomGuy
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
wonder if it would have helped if you had witnesses or a police report on the lightning strike?

Vteckidd
10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
wonder if it would have helped if you had witnesses or a police report on the lightning strike?

i wonder that too. There was a car behind me but i didnt stop to flag them down. At this point i dont think i physically got hit , i think the ground got hit RIGHT by me and it arced on the car somewhere

hondachik
10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Pay me $100 and I'll be a witness

Vteckidd
10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Thats right, lets perpetuate insurance fraud over the interwebz

Buttons
10-05-2009, 02:02 PM
This might be an idea, but since you said it might have arched back up, check underneath the car maybe? I'm just suggesting it as an idea. It won't hurt to look.

xxbckiexx
10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
This might be an idea, but since you said it might have arched back up, check underneath the car maybe? I'm just suggesting it as an idea. It won't hurt to look.

your posts hurt to look at. the stupidity level is unbelievable.

browningboy7
10-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Something similar happened to my parents, They refused to cover it etc etc etc and my mom requested a sit down meeting with the adjusters supervisor and everything was smooth sailing from there. So I would definitely go that route if you haven't already tried, Just take in all the documents you have already faxed them and sit down and present them in person.

HarietTubgrl
10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
that's what you get for being an alabama lol

that sucks, though. hope it gets worked out though:goodjob:

bowdown201
10-05-2009, 03:04 PM
So did it crank back up after you got home?

Julio
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Im shocked USAA hasnt try to work with you. And to think they are the best in the country as far as Customer serivice etc..

Keep bugging them.. I mean, they are the best for a reason..

weird.

pixyspoxey
10-05-2009, 03:53 PM
That sucks man. USAA is usually a really good insurance company, one of the top rated.

Echonova
10-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Maybe your car didn't get hit directly, since you were driving in water, which rumor has it... Conducts electricity.

Here's what you do: Listen to the news... If any region gets a lot of rain and starts flooding take the RX8 and park it in the newly formed lake in the middle of the road. Problem solved.

§treet_§peed
10-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Damn Mike, that sucks ass. I still find it funny how a tech, that prolly doesn't know how a Wankel engine works said that the weld was the cause of your problems.

Brady
10-06-2009, 10:15 AM
i never had any problems with my rx-8 luckily. 88k miles then i sold it...i miss it. sooo maybe God just loves me :D anyways, mike let me know if you need any parts...call me later today, i might be able to help with some stuff.

Boosted FC
10-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Mike, Just get rid of that car. I love my rotaries, but I cannot stand the RX8 with how many problems that POS has.

SPOOLIN
10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
at this point, pray for a passenger side T bone with no passenger in the seat so they can just scrap it lol

Vteckidd
10-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I have a meeting with them today wish me luck

Boosted FC
10-08-2009, 10:39 AM
time for the first 2jz Rx8 lol

might as well

Already been done.

Ziptied
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Already been done.

Several several times.

Hondarider33
10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
god does hate them. he hates mx-6s too

JITB
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
god wanted to touch the Rx8...but accidently hit it with lightning..

Hondarider33
10-08-2009, 11:24 AM
^ haha idk why he'd hate them, he should love all, except the one nameless car, anyone know what car that is?

Boosted FC
10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
god wanted to touch the Rx8...but accidently hit it with lightning..

Should have hit a few more while he was at it.

Mike, put that POS up for sale on RX8Club.

Vteckidd
10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Should have hit a few more while he was at it.

Mike, put that POS up for sale on RX8Club.

I cant sell it right now because i would get $5000 for it tops with all the shit not working

Ziptied
10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
That sucks dude, cant say its the first time insurance company's fuck long standing customers.

J-ROCK
10-08-2009, 04:29 PM
thats dumb as hell ive seen a car that was struck by lightining and you couldnt find anything that showed it! most of the time it shorts out the circuit boards first i belive

browningboy7
10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Wellllll, How did the meeting go?

b@d @pple
10-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Maybe your car didn't get hit directly, since you were driving in water, which rumor has it... Conducts electricity.

Technically, pure water, or an amount of nothing but H2O molecules will not in any way conduct electric current. Free or valance electrons are what flow in a current. Well, the balanced molecule of water has no free electrons, they're all used in forming the molecule. A tub or glass or container of water conducts electric current since normally the water is not pure. It has minerals, dirt, or other particles of other atoms or molecules in it. If you were to take two perfectly sterilized leads and place them into a solution of absolutely pure, distilled water, there would be no conductivity until contaminants from atmosphere started to get into the water giving something for the current to flow across from one lead to the other.

either way,even unpure water is a bad conducter

SampaGuy
10-08-2009, 08:00 PM
You could shoot some fireworks from the roof of the car? lol

Vteckidd
10-08-2009, 08:07 PM
met with them today, pretty much all they were doing was "interviewing" me trying to find inconsistencies in my story. Which obviously they didnt find. They still want to have the dealership go back over the car, which i told them there was prob no point as if their ENTIRE CASE is based upon "FINDING EVIDENCE OF A LIGHTNING STRIKE" they can just quit now and ill see them in court.

They still insisted upon the dealership looking at the car. So i dropped it off im sure ill know more by tomorrow.

Boosted FC
10-08-2009, 09:00 PM
You should take it to Ellis on Peachtree Ind Mike. One of the best Rotary Technicians (Juan Delgado) up there. I am very close friends with the guys up there.

02SloWrx
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
cool story, and I do mean, cool story for real.

amandDA
10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
that freakin sucks i wouldn't give up! best of luck to you

oldcorolla
10-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I have never had any issues with USAA in the 6 years I have been with them , even when I borrowed my in laws car and wrecked it only to find out they didnt have insurance on it when they let me borrow it. USAA took care of the truck I rear ended and everything else involved with the wreck other than my in laws car, they told me if they wanted their car fixed they should have had insurance on it.

tinkolby_25
10-09-2009, 12:25 AM
maybe it has nothing to do with god...maybe mazdas are just pieces of shit

just sayin'

Catnip
10-09-2009, 12:50 AM
maybe it has nothing to do with god...maybe mazdas are just pieces of shit

just sayin'

I think that's the first time you've ever made me LOL.

Slow Motion
10-09-2009, 02:26 AM
You should file a complaint against the tech at the dealership and make them fix it. It is obvious that he should not be working on a car if he thinks a weld is going to cause an electrical problem. I would go to the manager of the dealership and file your complaint then file a suit against the bastard.

DeeAOne
10-09-2009, 02:37 AM
man that sucks for real. hope you get that all worked out.

feels good to have a mazda engine with pistons right now..lol

redrumracer
10-09-2009, 03:47 AM
just wondering to all those knocking the rotary? why? he didnt say the motor messed up

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Mike, Just get rid of that car. I love my rotaries, but I cannot stand the RX8 with how many problems that POS has.

x2 POS it is, it's just a pile of junk on wheels now. What happened to "different car every week" Mr. baller, as in your sig :lmfao:? Sell it, buy a FD...like you should have. I know gifts from uncle are hard to turn down, but still u should be making some dough from selling replica headers, fake Recaros and fake Bride seats.

Njobe
10-09-2009, 12:29 PM
^^ lol... waiting on reply from mike

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
^^ lol... waiting on reply from mike
:devil:

Njobe
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
waiting on the reply for my headers... i think i should get them for free now lol... then waiting on the reply from him on what you said

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 12:48 PM
just wondering to all those knocking the rotary? why? he didnt say the motor messed up

lol that motor is worthless like the car. Do you know how many RX-8's got recalled to get the motors swapped out, and after all these years mazda still couldn't get it rite. Only rotor i would drive, i do drive is a FD, and it ends there. Unless 4 rotor in a RX-8.

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 12:53 PM
waiting on the reply for my headers... i think i should get them for free now lol... then waiting on the reply from him on what you said

They are good headers, he's just replicating someone elses product. Doesn't make the design anyworse and doesn't make him a genius. Go on ebay, plenty other vendors selling the EXACT same headers with their stamp on them. Made in Taiwan, bulk production, sold to individual vendors...FTW lol.

ROTORIOUS13B
10-09-2009, 01:03 PM
lol that motor is worthless like the car. Do you know how many RX-8's got recalled to get the motors swapped out, and after all these years mazda still couldn't get it rite. Only rotor i would drive, i do drive is a FD, and it ends there. Unless 4 rotor in a RX-8.
Just my 2cents; It wasn't the engine that was the problem, really. It was more the drivers. Rotaries need to be redlined (once warmed up of course) to clean the carbon out, and work "properly". This being the case, the fact of the matter is the VAST majority (like 98%) of engines replaced were from automatic cars. Most of these owners simply did not drive their cars the way the cars needed to be driven. The major cause for the recall was flooding due to carbon build up, and some issues with the engine management system, as opposed to the engines' design. Mazda has since modified some of these areas, and apparently it is nearly impossible to flood the updated cars. They've also extended the warranties on all 04-08 cars to 8 years/100,000 miles :)

B18c1Turboed
10-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Sunny, its like this. Mike is a IA sponsor continue to bash his products and you will be banned. U can attack him personally i dont care. But when it comes too a product he is selling on IA... thats a diffrent story...

P.s did you get butt hurt by mike going after you? you little sissy!

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Being butt hurt by him...he can try again. He's nothing to me to get butt hurt over. And how is he going after me? Guy doesn't even know me.

Bashing, i just said...they are good headers. Just not his design.

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Just my 2cents; It wasn't the engine that was the problem, really. It was more the drivers. Rotaries need to be redlined (once warmed up of course) to clean the carbon out, and work "properly". This being the case, the fact of the matter is the VAST majority (like 98%) of engines replaced were from automatic cars. Most of these owners simply did not drive their cars the way the cars needed to be driven. The major cause for the recall was flooding due to carbon build up, and some issues with the engine management system, as opposed to the engines' design. Mazda has since modified some of these areas, and apparently it is nearly impossible to flood the updated cars. They've also extended the warranties on all 04-08 cars to 8 years/100,000 miles :)

Thank you for sharing the knowledge. I am glad Mazda is offering the extended warranty, i have only seen few examples running strong till warranty mark.

EDIT: just saw it, Great 1st post. :goodjob:

Vteckidd
10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Sunny you dumb fuck. Before I had my rx8 I was flipping cars that's why I had a "different car every week".

As far as my business those guys on eBay are my dealers I have a business that pays me well that I own. What do you do that's sound ground breaking?

Your fd is a pile of garbage . My uncles is far nicer :p

keep talking sunny I'll come find you sooner or later

Vteckidd
10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
x2 POS it is, it's just a pile of junk on wheels now. What happened to "different car every week" Mr. baller, as in your sig :lmfao:? Sell it, buy a FD...like you should have. I know gifts from uncle are hard to turn down, but still u should be making some dough from selling replica headers, fake Recaros and fake Bride seats.

Don't want an fd and if you think the fd has a squeaky reputation your far from right. But you're a ricer I don't expect you to know anything

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Oh the angry man (i meant oger) is back....:lmao:

Formally...
10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Mike are you sure you are not just downplaying your RX8. Maybe you are shifting it at a different rpm then you are telling the insurance company. I bet once the insurance company finally gets their car fixed then they will rape your RX8 and even "god's chariot"

Vteckidd
10-09-2009, 01:55 PM
They are good headers, he's just replicating someone elses product. Doesn't make the design anyworse and doesn't make him a genius. Go on ebay, plenty other vendors selling the EXACT same headers with their stamp on them. Made in Taiwan, bulk production, sold to individual vendors...FTW
lol.

Whose assuming now? I did all the work got them made and did all the marketing etc. The replicas are made off my personal headers I had owned myself.

Don't knock my hustle

besides the point you have nothing to say to me in person and nothing to race me with. Gtfo of here

Vteckidd
10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Mike are you sure you are not just downplaying your RX8. Maybe you are shifting it at a different rpm then you are telling the insurance company. I bet once the insurance company finally gets their car fixed then they will rape your RX8 and even "god's chariot"

I think it's time to do the big motor and shut these people up :p

Vteckidd
10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Oh the angry man (i meant oger) is back....:lmao:

It's ogre you illiterate fag

you know what it's not worth even arguing with you anymore you've proven you have nothing on me. Good luck let me know when you wanna race although I'm sure all you'll ever do is talk online

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 02:12 PM
You are the assuming god, can't take that title from you. Did you design the fake Recaros and fake Brides too? lol

Not talking about racing in here numb nutt. You see me in person too, if i don't then why don't you?

too easy..

It's ogre you illiterate fag

:lmao: at least you admitted. "I set you up". My bad, did i hurt your oger...opps...ogre image when your donkey isn't feeling so well?

Edit:
How many times are you gonna say that you are done with me, then go around blabering about me lol? Practice what you preach.

Vteckidd
10-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Sunny let's settle this tonight I'll meet you at the varsity at 10 pm

Boosted FC
10-09-2009, 02:43 PM

You sound like a salesman for that POS.

b@d @pple
10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Desi. I Suggest you keep your mouth shut. You are not only bashing a sponsor but also a friend of mine. All this stemmed from you being a pussy and not racing him. No more bullshit. Put up or shut the fuck up. Ask around. I will not hesitate to meet up with you and put an end to you. You can talk all the shit you want online. You won't do shit about it in real life. Stop running your cocksucker.

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I got party to be at tonight, and have a lovely date to spend time with. You are gonna have to wait princess. I already told you.....you'll be the first to hear the rumble ;).

UpSideDownDesi
10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Desi. I Suggest you keep your mouth shut. You are not only bashing a sponsor but also a friend of mine. All this stemmed from you being a pussy and not racing him. No more bullshit. Put up or shut the fuck up. Ask around. I will not hesitate to meet up with you and put an end to you. You can talk all the shit you want online. You won't do shit about it in real life. Stop running your cocksucker.

You don't know where the stemmed from, so please move on. You are not adding or taknig anything.

Vteckidd
10-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I got party to be at tonight, and have a lovely date to spend time with. You are gonna have to wait princess. I already told you.....you'll be the first to hear the rumble ;).

Be sure to wear that ballin pink shirt. It's beyond racing now. I'm puttig a bounty on your head I'm going to find where you are his weekend

$$$$$$ to the first person to pm me desi number and what party he will be at tonight cash in hand

D3UC3S
10-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I wanna be there when @pple puts his man fist through your cunt.....

Vteckidd
10-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Look at desi flexing like he's a ladies man lolol

Boosted FC
10-09-2009, 03:50 PM
:couch:

Brady
10-10-2009, 12:33 PM
this is fun.

§treet_§peed
10-11-2009, 01:02 PM
hmmmmm