PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Stocking up on ammo?

deathrex
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Any body else been doing it? I tend to buy it when I see it. Right now I have over 10,000 .22 rounds, 3500 .40's, 5000 .45's, 3000 9mm's, close to 2000 223's and about 1000 of each in .308 and 30-06. Few other random calibers here and there aswell. Anyone else stocking up like me or am I just crazy? Btw NONE OF THE AMMO IS FOR SALE!

ekcivic1991
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
hope your house doesnt catch on fire

quickdodge®
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
hope your house doesnt catch on fire

Yeah. Not exactly a smart move. Later, QD.

Total_Blender
10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Do you have TP? All the ammo in the world won't save you from mud butt :lmfao:

SiRed94
10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes, I do but not for any "SHTF" scenario. Just solely because I hate running low and not being able to find any when I am wanting to shoot.

WhiteAccord
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Any body else been doing it? I tend to buy it when I see it. Right now I have over 10,000 .22 rounds, 3500 .40's, 5000 .45's, 3000 9mm's, close to 2000 223's and about 1000 of each in .308 and 30-06. Few other random calibers here and there aswell. Anyone else stocking up like me or am I just crazy? Btw NONE OF THE AMMO IS FOR SALE!

Girlfriend thinks Im crazy....:lmfao: But yes you are not the only one. :goodjob:

I have about 5000 .22 rounds and 2000 9mm rounds.

deathrex
10-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Girlfriend thinks Im crazy....:lmfao: But yes you are not the only one. :goodjob:

I have about 5000 .22 rounds and 2000 9mm rounds.

Haha so does mine, but she'll shoot off more rounds than I do when we go to the range. I hate running out and not being able to find it so when I see it I buy it. And as far as the house catching fire all my ammo and guns are stored in fireproof safes so I have no worries on that. Reloading equiptment isn't though lol I have about 20lbs of green dot in the basement that would spark a nice flame. Speaking of wich I need to put up the shot gun shells I reloaded last night.

deathrex
10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Do you have TP? All the ammo in the world won't save you from mud butt :lmfao:

lol did you watch chapelle show the other night too?! Haha yeah went shopping yesterday at costco and bought like the bazillion pack of charmin triple ply quilted print extra soft with aloe lol. It's winter don't want my ass to chap.

-EnVus-
10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
it would be funny shit to have all that ammo and the guns dont work
guess you could get a sling shot and do it that way

deathrex
10-05-2009, 01:46 PM
it would be funny shit to have all that ammo and the guns dont work
guess you could get a sling shot and do it that way

That would suck. But I keep my guns meticulously clean, inspected for parts and cleaned after each time I go to the range. So I don't think I'd have a problem with them not working.

HypnoToad
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
zombie outbreak?

Truegiant
10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
No need to stock up on ammo. Ammo prices are going down again and all the people that bought ammo high will be selling it for low prices in the near future. There are two companies working on practice load ammo like the pdx series practice ammo and if it gets approved for commercial sales (already being tested in the military/ ask me how i know) it will drop the costs of practice type cheap ammo in half.

Anywho.. I used to buy into the hype of having a crap ton around the house but found that if I need it for an event I can either buy/beg/borrow for some (atleast thats what Danny does.. haha) -

GA Arms is getting ready to offer wholesale again for the winter months when no one shoots.

$200 for 1k rounds of canned heat is CHEAP!

Danny
10-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I need some 223 canned heat. I burned through about 6-700 223 rounds saturday, now i only have 13-1500 left. And yes, i have been known to bum ammo off of people when i am in a crunch :D

I personally dont stock pile ammo. My current collection is 500 .40, 1200+ .45, and 1300+ .223. I just keep on hand a few of hard days worth, and replenish it as needed.

-EnVus-
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
let me get some of the .22 ammo i might need to take care of the zombie rat,squirls etc...

Vi3t
10-05-2009, 07:59 PM
zombies...:lmfao:
same excuse my bf uses when buying more ammo

deathrex
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Ammo isn't for sale. Personal stash. You can find 22 Ammo At most walmarts. Definately for zombie attacks. I'm telling yall it's gunna happen.

ryanowarrior
10-05-2009, 08:49 PM
thats the dang reason why you cant find ammo, people stock pilein it up for no real reason lol. just sucks for people like me that likes to shoot very often and cant ever find any dang ammo.....................CRAZY but oh well

WhiteAccord
10-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Thats why girlfriend thinks im crazy.

I think Zombies are coming.

deathrex
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
thats the dang reason why you cant find ammo, people stock pilein it up for no real reason lol. just sucks for people like me that likes to shoot very often and cant ever find any dang ammo.....................CRAZY but oh well

Uhmmmm go to the stores and look. If it's there I'll buy what I need. Dosent seem like you're looking. I can always find ammo somewhere. Reason for stocking up is because people are buying it I don't wanna run out, and other reasons ontop of that... Zombies mainly. You wanna shoot more go to a gun shop they have all sorts of ammo. Walmart has random bullets. Where I've been getting most of mine. Bass pro got a new shipment today. Picked up a few things there aswell.

chaseamundo
10-05-2009, 10:08 PM
badass shit....
i think zombies as well, to bad all i have is hunting rifle, shotgun, and .22

deathrex
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
^ Snipe them, Blow their heads off, hang out in a tree plinking them off!

chaseamundo
10-05-2009, 10:24 PM
thats where my 2nd issue is, almost no ammo haha so better off fighting them lol

we need to build a safe house hahaha or FORT!

Danny
10-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Zombies being the main reason of course... :D You mention several thousand rounds of several calibers, of those how many are in loaded mags? Or is the plan to jam mags while zombies are pounding the door. Also how many mags are on your bug out vest/pack?

Asking the general population here, just curious if anyone is serious about SHTF?!?!

maybe a shtf thread is in order? hmmmmm

chaseamundo
10-05-2009, 11:00 PM
shtf?

Danny
10-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Shit Hit The Fan

chaseamundo
10-05-2009, 11:04 PM
bahahahahahahahahaahahaha

Danny
10-05-2009, 11:38 PM
So am i the only one with "The Zombie Survival Guide" and "World War Z, The Oral History of the Zombie War" on their bookshelf?

Maybe i am just weird? lol

deathrex
10-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Definately on the bookshelf lol. Ugh I've got 1 100 round mag for the ar loaded up about 6 regular ones loaded. The p22 has 4 loaded clips both .40 glocks have 8 clips together loaded up. 1911 has 3 clips all loaded. Ak has 3 banana clips loaded. Bolt action 308 has a loaded 5 shot clip same with the 30-06. Both shot guns are loaded and have the 6 shot carrier filled with slugs and 00buck. Browning 22 loads like a bb gun so that shouldn't take long to load. Walther ppks has 2 clips loaded. I think those are the only ones that are ready to roll. And I'm so down for building a fort. I've been wanting to dig a series of tunnels underneith my neighborhood lol and possibly a bat cave.

deathrex
10-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Anyone going to the gun show at gwinnett county fair grounds on the 18th? I'll be looking for more goodies.

Vi3t
10-05-2009, 11:57 PM
-pictures of your goodies??
- my bf is SO SERIOUS bout when SHTF, I always thought he was crazy.. until now.
- didn't know about the gun show at gwinnett, we'll def. hit it up if we can get out of work on time... they usually have good prices on bullets.

deathrex
10-06-2009, 02:00 AM
-pictures of your goodies??
- my bf is SO SERIOUS bout when SHTF, I always thought he was crazy.. until now.
- didn't know about the gun show at gwinnett, we'll def. hit it up if we can get out of work on time... they usually have good prices on bullets.

I'll pics up in the am. I'm playing call of duty in bed right now lol.

ryanowarrior
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
shit. go to a hunting access store and try and find everything you need to reload with or get on the internet and try to find reloading supplies. its about inpossible to find just what your lookin for its crazy. ima picky when it comes to reloading... .223 bein the worst i mean sure you can buy the cheap stuff but....its just like .223 rounds the army is now makin those 24/7 so its kinda hard to get stuff, but also have to factor in i live way out in the sticks and there's not alot of gun shops around also

sierra
10-06-2009, 09:43 PM
in for pics of teh guns

EJdm
10-06-2009, 11:50 PM
wow that some shit loads of ammo...i know where to come now when zombies attack...

Danny
10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Realistically if zombies go active then the majority of us are fuked. There is going to be a hand full of people in the world that are good enough with various weapons, navagation and survival skills to actually survive long term.

I am pretty sure 20,000 rounds of ammo isn't going to help, as thats way to heavy to carry. Yes vehicles may still be operational, but will the roadways? In other words i ask what is your plan to get food, weapons, supplies, friends and family from their houses to safe house that preferably has some sort of fortification.

THis question goes true for a varity of shtf scenarios: presidential assassination, NBC attacks/ natural spread/ industrial accidents, etc etc etc. Just food for thought.

Truegiant
10-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Realistically if zombies go active then the majority of us are fuked. There is going to be a hand full of people in the world that are good enough with various weapons, navagation and survival skills to actually survive long term.

I am pretty sure 20,000 rounds of ammo isn't going to help, as thats way to heavy to carry. Yes vehicles may still be operational, but will the roadways? In other words i ask what is your plan to get food, weapons, supplies, friends and family from their houses to safe house that preferably has some sort of fortification.

THis question goes true for a varity of shtf scenarios: presidential assassination, NBC attacks/ natural spread/ industrial accidents, etc etc etc. Just food for thought.

My unit just came off of a 1 year national defense rotation. We trained for all kinds of scenarios. It opened my eyes to the different possibilities or should I say reasons for a zombie attack. Your ability to take by force is going to be the deciding factor in the first 30 days IMo. Dont get me wrong it would be nice to have a million rounds laying around for a SHTF moment but in all seriousness if I can accomplish with 1 magazine what it takes you to do with 10-12 who in the long run is going to survive. To many folks think the spray and pray method will actually kill bad guys. Having a well rounded basis with practical application skills will be essential. Who cares if you can shoot 800 meters. I dont because your going to have to come into my house to get what you want.

Think about transportation. Danny is right. Cars may still work but is there going to be gas to fuel them? We had a small/tiny gas crisis and fuel went to $4.50 a gallon and most service stations were out. Think about stores like walmart. New Orleans was flooded for a day and there was crime everywhere. Looting, robbing, etc... Look at all the pics on the net of the abandoned cars.

What are you going to do if the power goes out? Do you have a generator? Is power necessary? What about running water? I am less worried about needing 50 guns and a baggillion rounds of ammo than the necessities. If I have to use one for the other I will to provide for my family.

At this present moment I am no where near ready for a SHTF moment at my home, but my arms room at work is!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am far more afraid of a wreckless president than I am zombies. Then again that is a topic of a different discussion.

Danny
10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
My unit just came off of a 1 year national defense rotation. We trained for all kinds of scenarios. It opened my eyes to the different possibilities or should I say reasons for a zombie attack. Your ability to take by force is going to be the deciding factor in the first 30 days IMo. Dont get me wrong it would be nice to have a million rounds laying around for a SHTF moment but in all seriousness if I can accomplish with 1 magazine what it takes you to do with 10-12 who in the long run is going to survive. To many folks think the spray and pray method will actually kill bad guys. Having a well rounded basis with practical application skills will be essential. Who cares if you can shoot 800 meters. I dont because your going to have to come into my house to get what you want.

Think about transportation. Danny is right. Cars may still work but is there going to be gas to fuel them? We had a small/tiny gas crisis and fuel went to $4.50 a gallon and most service stations were out. Think about stores like walmart. New Orleans was flooded for a day and there was crime everywhere. Looting, robbing, etc... Look at all the pics on the net of the abandoned cars.

What are you going to do if the power goes out? Do you have a generator? Is power necessary? What about running water? I am less worried about needing 50 guns and a baggillion rounds of ammo than the necessities. If I have to use one for the other I will to provide for my family.

At this present moment I am no where near ready for a SHTF moment at my home, but my arms room at work is!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am far more afraid of a wreckless president than I am zombies. Then again that is a topic of a different discussion.

Great post, its almost exactly what i am thinking. I think the reality of it will NOT be sitting at home and plinking off zombies (we will use this general term for any type of threat in a SHTF scenario); and as you said it will be more of a take by force situation anyway.

I am no where close to ready for a crazy all out shtf scenario. But food for thought, my water filter that can filter 1 liter a minute, weights less than one pound and makes drinkable water straight out of a sewage infested creek is just as important if not more important than 10k rounds of ammo. I am all for having alot of ammo, just dont think its the life saver we want to think it is.

Truegiant
10-08-2009, 01:48 PM
yeppers.. I would think that building a solar powered kart kind of like the one on the colony, have 50-100 gallons of fuel on hand for a generator and for misc use and a way to filter water and you would be good. I could hunt for the majority of my meat and a fairly familiar with what kind of plants you can eat to stay alive. I wouldnt be the fat ass i am now but atleast I feel i could comfortably stay alive for 1-2 months before i had to think about a take by force scenario. Of course I would move out of my subdivision and back into my house in dahlonega. more than enough cows in pastures up there to barter for some meat. or just "take by force"..

I have been doing alot of research into solar vehicles and solar power recently. I think it would be neat to build a lightweight little buggy that could be used in light offroad conditions for up to a total of 100 miles round trip and could haul a small trailer of some sort. Its a project I will build one day.

GSRteg®
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Hope all is stored in a non damp place, but IMO its crazy.

Danny
10-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Hope all is stored in a non damp place, but IMO its crazy.

Its really not all that crazy. .22s are cheap, might as well have a ton a guess. But 5k and less of all his other main systems is really not that over the top. Considering you can burn through 1k rounds a running a gun hard, it makes 3000 rounds not look like such a huge number.

I would keep on hand that type of ammo, but it seems like every time i get a head in my tiny stock pile it gives me a reason to take a gun class, reasoning is "hell its sunk costs, might as well burn it up".. Which results in much less ammo haha, but thats why we buy it.. to shoot it!

Truegiant
10-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Its really not all that crazy. .22s are cheap, might as well have a ton a guess. But 5k and less of all his other main systems is really not that over the top. Considering you can burn through 1k rounds a running a gun hard, it makes 3000 rounds not look like such a huge number.

I would keep on hand that type of ammo, but it seems like every time i get a head in my tiny stock pile it gives me a reason to take a gun class, reasoning is "hell its sunk costs, might as well burn it up".. Which results in much less ammo haha, but thats why we buy it.. to shoot it!

I just dont see how people justify using a .22 for any kind of home protection. Unless your using it in a SHTF scenario to kill small game for eating. I mean dont get me wrong, you shoot me with 8-10 rounds of .22 out of a walther or other small gun its going to hurt and possibly kill.

It still is one of my favorite plinking rounds. I loved my gsg that was suppressed and my walther that had a can on it. Always neat to shoot squirrels in the backyard and the neighbors not knowing whats going on!