PDA

View Full Version : Sqealing noise?

90_ACCORD
10-03-2009, 09:59 PM
ok so my car makes a squealing noise while i turn and it does it almost everytime i turn. very rarely does it not make that sqealing. here is what confuses me

1. No wheel play
2. No problem steering
3. pleanty of power steering fluid
4. Boot not cracked or leaking anything.
5. No problem braking.

the car runs fine and i have no problem with it yet it still makes that noise. Im gonna try to get a video of the noise tomorrow if I can and add it here.

What could possibly be the problem?
I dont really know anything about the brakes but that couldnt be them squealing and me needing new brakes is it?
I dont hear the noise while braking or going in a straight line but the noise continues even while im going through a turn and i keep the steering wheel steady through it.

that is kinda hard for me to explain but its like a turn the wheel one and keep it there. drive in a circle like im gonna do a donut and dont change how much the steering wheel is turned and I still get that noise. well i would get it but im not doing donuts in my car.

sorry if any part of this is confusing but it is hard for me to explain.

thanks for any help

NOTICED THIS TODAY

while looking at my brakes on both front tires i noticed that between the caliper and the pad there were 2 very thin sheets of metal. well both pieces have slid down and started touching the inside of i guess the rotor. (remember i know very very little about brakes). where the metal started touching it has worn them down and they started to curl upwords. idk if that is suppose to happen or what. ill try to get a pic once i find my camera. anyone know if that could be the problem.

PICS OF MY BRAKE(yes they are real big but im hoping that might make it a little easier for you to see what is wrong with them and if that is the problem)

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/DJGrno/1004091707.jpg
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/DJGrno/1004091705b.jpg
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/DJGrno/1004091705.jpg

-EnVus-
10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
wheel bearings bad or going
Dust shield touching somewhere
Brake caliper going bad maybe sticking
jack the car up and spin the wheels to see if you can remake the sound while in the air.
to get a better idea what wheel you need to look at.

90_ACCORD
10-03-2009, 10:06 PM
where/what is the dust shield?

-EnVus-
10-03-2009, 10:10 PM
where/what is the dust shield?
on the front wheels and its the metal shield that is behind the caliper yull see it its a thine metal plate thingy

90_ACCORD
10-03-2009, 10:14 PM
aight thanks. ill try and get the car up tomorrow and try spinning the tire

94@ccordLX
10-04-2009, 02:40 AM
only when turning right? It could be that your pwer steering pump is going out. mine did that on my integra a few years back. turned out to be the bearing for the shaft the pulley attaches to.

Barefoot
10-04-2009, 08:38 AM
have somebody turn the car on get in turn the wheel u listen and hunt down where the noise is coming from simple.

90_ACCORD
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
have somebody turn the car on get in turn the wheel u listen and hunt down where the noise is coming from simple.

thats the tough part tho cuz it only does it when the car is moving

90_ACCORD
10-04-2009, 09:28 AM
only when turning right? It could/ be that your pwer steering pump is going out. mine did that on my integra a few years back. turned out to be the bearing for the shaft the pulley attaches to.

it does it turning both ways

before you got it fixed did you notice any difference in your ability to turn?
like did it sometimes feel like you didnt have any power steering?

90_ACCORD
10-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I added something to the bottom of my original post. PLEASE LOOK AT THAT IF YOU HAVE ALREADY POSTED IN HERE

94@ccordLX
10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
those pieces of metal you are talking about should not have moved around at all. Most of the time, i never put those things back in. Dont know if its good or not, but i take them out.

Back about the power steering pump, no i dont recall it feeling like there was no power steering. but sometimes it did have a slight and i mean slight catch to it when turning the wheels all the way to one side.

90_ACCORD
10-04-2009, 11:26 AM
ok i have a very slight catch when turning the wheel while the car sits still but not while the car is moving. everything is fine

i did turn the wheels this morning to try and make the noise and find where it is coming from but like always the car made no noise at all while sitting there

90_ACCORD
10-04-2009, 01:57 PM
ok so i put this question up on another forum and they told me what moved were my brake shims and brake shims prevent noise from the brakes

would that cause it to only make the noise while turning tho cuz i never hear the noise while braking?

90_ACCORD
10-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I now added pics of my brakes so if what im told is correct those thin pieces i see are Brake shims and they are causing the squealing?

94@ccordLX
10-04-2009, 06:17 PM
those shims could be the reason but it doesnt make sense to me that it only does it while turning. It looks like if thats what it is, it should do it all the time while moving

90_ACCORD
10-04-2009, 07:03 PM
those shims could be the reason but it doesnt make sense to me that it only does it while turning. It looks like if thats what it is, it should do it all the time while moving

thats whats confusing me

94@ccordLX
10-04-2009, 09:12 PM
do u have anybody local that has a car like urs? if so try using their power steering pump and see if it still does it. or actually try this, take your belt off the power steering pump and drive it around and see if it stops the noise. cuz without the belt on, the pulley wont be turning. If it still makes the noise, then the pump is not the problem

90_ACCORD
10-04-2009, 09:31 PM
do u have anybody local that has a car like urs? if so try using their power steering pump and see if it still does it. or actually try this, take your belt off the power steering pump and drive it around and see if it stops the noise. cuz without the belt on, the pulley wont be turning. If it still makes the noise, then the pump is not the problem

its safe to do that? will that just make it so i dont have power steering?

94@ccordLX
10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
yeah its safe.and yeah it will just make it where u dont have power steering. i do it all the time at the track

90_ACCORD
10-05-2009, 11:45 AM
aight ill do that after i change those Shims and see if that fixes it

94@ccordLX
10-06-2009, 01:54 AM
honestly, u can run without those shims. I dont have any in mine, and im not having any problems at all.

90_ACCORD
10-06-2009, 07:45 AM
yeah ive heard that. if i got the time today im gonne take them off and see what happens

94@ccordLX
10-07-2009, 08:28 PM
so hows the outcome? you check any of it yet?

bonezMTA
10-07-2009, 08:53 PM
that's the same thing that's happening with my mx-6 but it only does it when i turn right. do yall think i can just put sum brake lube btwn the brake pads to help it go away? (Oh, and great thread, perfect timing lol i wuz wondering if i could find a thread about this.) :goodjob:

90_ACCORD
10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
so hows the outcome? you check any of it yet?

well i went and picked up new shims and some power steering fluid today. gonna fill it up tomorrow and put the new shims on and see how it does. I was a little low on fluid but i still had enough but im filling it up just to make sure thats not helping the cause.

that's the same thing that's happening with my mx-6 but it only does it when i turn right. do yall think i can just put sum brake lube btwn the brake pads to help it go away? (Oh, and great thread, perfect timing lol i wuz wondering if i could find a thread about this.) :goodjob:

you can try. a guy at autozone told me to put some lube or glue there instead of the shims but he didnt seem to know much about what he was talking about and when i asked him for the shims he gave me something completely different. Shims dont cost that much anyway so im just gonna see what this will do

evogotspray
10-07-2009, 09:06 PM
serpentine belt???? maybe check the tenisoner

90_ACCORD
10-07-2009, 09:08 PM
serpentine belt???? maybe check the tenisoner

aight ill check that tomorrow while im workin on the car...thanks

bonezMTA
10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
you can try. a guy at autozone told me to put some lube or glue there instead of the shims but he didnt seem to know much about what he was talking about and when i asked him for the shims he gave me something completely different. Shims dont cost that much anyway so im just gonna see what this will do

I'll let you know tommorro if it works or not...

90_ACCORD
10-07-2009, 09:28 PM
good luck.

90_ACCORD
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
UPDATE

well i changed the shims and filled up the power steering. i drove the car for about 10-15 min and so far no noise. gonna keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way

94@ccordLX
10-08-2009, 05:47 PM
i hope that fixes your problem. post up after you give it some time. im interested to know

bonezMTA
10-08-2009, 09:47 PM
well i put the "Brake Disk Quiet" cream and it worked. dont kno if it'll wrk 4 any1 else bu give it a shot. Gud day yall!!:yes: