PDA

View Full Version : Heating springs

LightsOut
10-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I have stock springs.... I'm buying skunk2 coilovers when I get 350 for them........ But ATM my front sits to high for my taste and it annoys the he'll out of me. Can anyone heat um for me and if so how much?

JITB
10-02-2009, 06:10 PM
i wouldnt heat the coilovers spring... i think u should heat the oem spring if u have to.

LightsOut
10-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm not trying to heat the coilovers. But my stock springs... It sets to high for me... Annoys me.... Just something till I get my coilovers

mr.koupe
10-02-2009, 06:36 PM
cut > heating fyi

LightsOut
10-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't wanta cut. Nor asked

mr.koupe
10-02-2009, 07:24 PM
K bud do whatever you want. That attitude won't get you anywhere in life fyi :goodjob:

dallasb84
10-02-2009, 07:28 PM
try a heat gun..... harbour freight sells em for lik 9.99 they heat to 12,000 degrees and are electric.... i seen a guy do this and it works i promise..... plus it doesnt risk you catchin shit on fyre and jank. :goodjob:

Barefoot
10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
cut > heating fyilol both are fucking retarded.

op live with the ride for now. dont put your life your passengers life and other people on the roads lives in danger so u can have a bouncer ride.

LightsOut
10-02-2009, 08:50 PM
The neg rep is not what I was asking. I was askng something simple. Y you have to be a asshole a neg rep me WTF...... If u don't like the idea okay if u do okay but don't be a ass

Barefoot
10-02-2009, 09:13 PM
The neg rep is not what I was asking. I was askng something simple. Y you have to be a asshole a neg rep me WTF...... If u don't like the idea okay if u do okay but don't be a asswho are u talking about. granted im sure u earned it.

LightsOut
10-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Some guy gave me a neg rep point cause of this thread?? I was simple asking and people have to be assholes

dallasb84
10-02-2009, 09:37 PM
do you really have a titanium cam?

LightsOut
10-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes..... I got it from Mitsubishi racing along with racing pistons and rings....... I waited 3months to get it.....

Barefoot
10-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Some guy gave me a neg rep point
who the fuck are u talking about.

TSiFTW
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
" 3"piping runing to a 5" apexi n1"

You have a 5" exhaust? Just wait till you get the coilovers. Save your stock springs. Might need em again one day. I can't say much though. I've heated and cut more than my fair share of springs.

LightsOut
10-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Idk who it was some guy dang.... And I am be along time till i get them..... And how much would u charg to heat them? I can work are engines but that stuff I have no experience.... Yea lol it hit a few speed bumps in it's day lol

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 12:11 AM
???? I got another neg rep cause someone said don't be a douch when taking advise show me where I was in this who thread where I was besides the guy talking about curing which I'd never do to my car.... Show me y I deserve the -rep assholes here keep ur comments if u have nothing to add that protains to the subject heating springs don't add ur 2cents plan and simple...

RBS
10-03-2009, 12:13 AM
take your springs out and stick em in the oven, isnt that "heating" them up?

Nick Jeezy
10-03-2009, 12:19 AM
you use a torch.

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Lol not the same thing tho but funnylol

Nick Jeezy
10-03-2009, 12:25 AM
you use a torch.

^^^

mitsu96
10-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Well no matter where u go lightout all ways assholes who think they the shit.... Neg rep u cause they are morons...... Btw I'd heat them. For now like u said it's tempary. And u won't be putting anyone at risk. Only if u cut them make ur car boncy so barefoot stfu u don't know what ur talking about.... Stick to them stupid trucks if I member this importatlanta not demestic crap Atlanta.... He asked a simple question. Assholes always gotta add their 2cents

RBS
10-03-2009, 12:35 AM
lololol. on a real note, just buy a grill and stick em on there... i bet theyll be hot then

Barefoot
10-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Well no matter where u go lightout all ways assholes who think they the shit.... Neg rep u cause they are morons...... Btw I'd heat them. For now like u said it's tempary. And u won't be putting anyone at risk. Only if u cut them make ur car boncy so barefoot stfu u don't know what ur talking about.... Stick to them stupid trucks if I member this importatlanta not demestic crap Atlanta.... He asked a simple question. Assholes always gotta add their 2cents
look here lil one know your place. we can go pound for pound on import/mechanic/tech knowledge any day of the week. fyi your 2 cent isnt worth shit around here. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: fuckin noobs.

RBS
10-03-2009, 12:42 AM

newbiez these days :headslap:

Barefoot
10-03-2009, 12:46 AM
newbiez these days :headslap:they just get bolder and bolder. offer no help on anything. then bitch to the people who are helping because they arent worth my used toilet paper.

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Well newbi or not... He is right I asked a question only 1 person trully answered... Then just other people adding comments.... I wanted to just lower it a 1" in front that's it maybe 2" idk just till I get my coilovers.... That won't be for a while seeing I just got my property taxes in bastards want 1,529 from me assholes lol..... And the neg reps??? Wth.... How I deserve them??

j0nbunklah0m
10-03-2009, 12:50 AM
let a fat bitch ride shotgun n u'll get ur 1inch drop

Barefoot
10-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Well newbi or not... He is right I asked a question only 1 person trully answered... Then just other people adding comments.... I wanted to just lower it a 1" in front that's it maybe 2" idk just till I get my coilovers.... That won't be for a while seeing I just got my property taxes in bastards want 1,529 from me assholes lol..... And the neg reps??? Wth.... How I deserve them??
u got a about 7 different answers. u may not see them because they arent what u want to hear but u got lots of answer already.

i wouldnt heat the coilovers spring... i think u should heat the oem spring if u have to.

try a heat gun..... harbour freight sells em for lik 9.99 they heat to 12,000 degrees and are electric.... i seen a guy do this and it works i promise..... plus it doesnt risk you catchin shit on fyre and jank.

lol both are fucking retarded.

op live with the ride for now. dont put your life your passengers life and other people on the roads lives in danger so u can have a bouncer ride.

take your springs out and stick em in the oven, isnt that "heating" them up?

you use a torch.

^^^

lololol. on a real note, just buy a grill and stick em on there... i bet theyll be hot thenall answers some truth some funny but true some real talk.

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Only one answered what I asked.... I wasn't saying I was gunna heat the coiloversi am buying.... I just want a drop ATM... I'm not satin their input wasn't noted just some of the negative remarks was not need nor was it right... I understand cuting and heating is cheap and retarded if u don't know what ur doing.... This is y I don't want to do it myself. But try and find someone who has experience in the area.... I get u don't like it and I thank u for ur help but not for that neg rep u gave me :,( lol .... And other people just adding funny comments........

I just want to know if anyone can do it for me who has done it.... That's it... simple...

j0nbunklah0m
10-03-2009, 01:11 AM
This is merely a reminder that there is absolutely NO SOLICITATION OF LABOR SERVICES on IA unless you are a SITE SPONSOR.

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 01:12 AM
let a fat bitch ride shotgun n u'll get ur 1inch drop

My fatass is already in the car lol... Another fat bitch would just fuck my car up lol.......... never have 2 fat people in a car lol....

Barefoot
10-03-2009, 01:16 AM
i dont think there is a sponsor who would put there name on that kinda work. i wouldnt

This is merely a reminder that there is absolutely NO SOLICITATION OF LABOR SERVICES on IA unless you are a SITE SPONSOR.

03RCode
10-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Just deal with it until you get your coilovers.

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Im asking for help not selling my services.... I'm not breaking the rule... And I might just do that ..... It just annoying I just want drop kick my car each time I c it lol

Catnip
10-03-2009, 01:30 AM
You should cut the springs.

Just kidding.

Sell that POS.

No but seriously, go buy hair dryer.

and take a bath with it.

j0nbunklah0m
10-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Im asking for help not selling my services.... I'm not breaking the rule... And I might just do that ..... It just annoying I just want drop kick my car each time I c it lol
drop kick the spring out then judo chop it in half

03RCode
10-03-2009, 01:31 AM
You should cut the springs.

Just kidding.

Sell that POS.

No but seriously, go buy hair dryer.

and take a bath with it.

That may be the first post you've ever made that made me LOL.

j0nbunklah0m
10-03-2009, 01:32 AM
That may be the first post you've ever made that made me LOL.

x2:lmfao:

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 01:35 AM
I might just have to drop kick it lol..... And ? Huh c why I hate asking on here lil kids that wana he assholes and talk shit...... Y? It's not need nor wanted and doesn't make u cool...

Barefoot
10-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Im asking for help not selling my services.... I'm not breaking the rule... And I might just do that ..... It just annoying I just want drop kick my car each time I c it lolthe way the admins and mods around here see it is both ways. they are very 1 sided peoples. when it comes to that.

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 01:41 AM
I understand I just wanted help.... Any good info but just cause I'm n red people have to be assholes...... I mean come on arnt we grown??? Is the crapy attitude and unwanted comments really nessacery

Catnip
10-03-2009, 01:58 AM
I might just have to drop kick it lol..... And ? Huh c why I hate asking on here lil kids that wana he assholes and talk shit...... Y? It's not need nor wanted and doesn't make u cool...

That's where you're wrong, I am cool, motherfucker.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/Javier_MacIntyre/37jsqloFrmspytt5ambTcrAfo1_500.jpg

dallasb84
10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
the trick is to concentrate as much heat as possible in one spot

see picture

94@ccordLX
10-03-2009, 01:37 PM
heating springs is a bad idea. it causes the metal to become weak and brittle. And eventually it will break. If anything, cut a round off the spring. still not a good idea but atleast it wont break

bdydrpdmazda
10-03-2009, 01:49 PM
order some ebay coilovers for 20 bucks, if your willing to pay somebody to come do it the dumb ass way then just get the cheapest coilovers you can, its that simple.

and now i will go back an neg rep you and your little buddy for being so difficult.

bdydrpdmazda
10-03-2009, 01:51 PM
your the buddy i was talking about

bdydrpdmazda
10-03-2009, 01:52 PM
lol @ everytime I quote one of the OPs post my spell check goes crazy, the little red squiggly line goes under the entire post

LightsOut
10-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Huh? Well I was just asking I was told it be okay... But if it isn't then I will not do it...... I was simple asking

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2009, 02:52 PM
heating springs is a bad idea. it causes the metal to become weak and brittle. And eventually it will break. If anything, cut a round off the spring. still not a good idea but atleast it wont break

You're wrong.

Lights Out, give me a few minutes. I'm going to PM you a write up of how to do it. I'll put in a drawing as well. Later, QD.

Catnip
10-03-2009, 02:54 PM
You're wrong.

Lights Out, give me a few minutes. I'm going to PM you a write up of how to do it. I'll put in a drawing as well. Later, QD.

They're ok if you put them in sand to cool slowly.

§treet_§peed
10-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Personally i would avoid heating them at all cost. As when you heat metal it becomes weaker and brittle. But like QD-eezy says there is a way, but more than likely you won't follow it exactly.. But IMO don't be a cheap ass just buy a good set of coilovers.

Black4DrEK
10-03-2009, 03:47 PM
DO what you do...:no:

dallasb84
10-03-2009, 04:07 PM
it took me 20 minute to make that picture and no one commented

fail

:(

94@ccordLX
10-03-2009, 04:10 PM
You're wrong.

how am i wrong? I have been around several cars that the people heated the springs and over time they broke where they were heated. I mean there is a way to do it right if you have all the stuff to re harden and get the spring rates right. Im not a dumbass on this kinda stuff. But most people wont know how to heat springs properly. So its easier and a lil safer just to cut a round or so off. Neither of those ways is a good idea though.

Black4DrEK
10-03-2009, 04:28 PM
it took me 20 minute to make that picture and no one commented

fail

:(

attention whore

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2009, 05:20 PM
how am i wrong? I have been around several cars that the people heated the springs and over time they broke where they were heated. I mean there is a way to do it right if you have all the stuff to re harden and get the spring rates right. Im not a dumbass on this kinda stuff. But most people wont know how to heat springs properly. So its easier and a lil safer just to cut a round or so off. Neither of those ways is a good idea though.

Just because you're not too keen on a subject doesn't make you a dumbass. Just means you don't know all there is to know. I won't get into the argument again (as I have so many times in the past) so I'll just cut to the chase. I don't know about specifics of what happens when you heat springs. I'm ONLY posting from personal experience. I lowered my first car via heating the springs exactly 23 years ago. Every car in my signature below? Lowered via heating springs. Every last one of them. Every one of those cars were DDs with me putting thousands of miles of straight out driving on them. I have LITERALLY NEVER replaced or had a problem with anything tracing back to suspension. NEVER. There is a specific way you do it so that you don't break shit. I have found that way and it's been good to me. I will swear by it. I have 2 SCCA regional champions in Auto-X in a car on heated springs.

That's all I'll say. The naysayers will say what they want to and it's cool, but none of what they say will influence or override (in my eyes) my 20+ years of hands-on experience. Later, QD.

Black4DrEK
10-03-2009, 05:24 PM
^You go boy!! :cheers:

JITB
10-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I got my springs cut only because i have no other alternative. But if you have an alternative, id say wait. If its something you can afford, that is. Because to get your springs heated you will end up paying the same amount to get a cheap coilover or springs.

Im gonna get another used set of strut/spring and have mine heated this go round, and see if my ride is better than the cut springs i have now, that has raped my struts.. But if i was you i would hold out, if you can afford to buy coils/springs..

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Because to get your springs heated you will end up paying the same amount to get a cheap coilover or springs.

No shit? Where can you get coil overs or lowered springs for $10? Bring your car to me, JITB. I'll break you off, man. Later, QD.

JITB
10-03-2009, 08:24 PM
No shit? Where can you get coil overs or lowered springs for $10? Bring your car to me, JITB. I'll break you off, man. Later, QD.

WHAT! i was gonna go to Garage Zero, like kashime did.. But ill take uup on that offer!

jmmx258
10-03-2009, 08:28 PM
mine are heated on my teg. Rides fine, doesn't bottom out. Got an alignment and the car sits level. Just use your head. The heat does change the metal some but not enough to cause breaking.

If you were to heat them to cherry red and drop them in a bucket of oil, then they would break. Don't harden the material, just heat it gradually.

Elbow
10-03-2009, 09:09 PM
CUTTING > HEATING.

THE END.

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2009, 09:32 PM
WHAT! i was gonna go to Garage Zero, like kashime did.. But ill take uup on that offer!

Let me know when, man. Later, QD.

94@ccordLX
10-04-2009, 01:59 AM
i didnt say it couldnt be done. I said if not done properly it can fail. Most people dont know how to do it the right way. And from the sound of the OP he wasnt sure about it so most likely he wouldnt know the correct way. Thats why i stated that cutting a coil would be safer than heating. cuz like said, if done wrong, it can cause problems

J-ROCK
10-04-2009, 02:14 AM
qd could you please pm me the instructions also?

dallasb84
10-04-2009, 02:26 AM
you guys are all fuking idiots........ heating springs is ghetto as fuck. its like reusing a condom and just turnin it inside out.....

your makin homeboys fukin mazda that much more of a piece of shit. if the mother fucker can afford a "titanium" cam he can buy a 50 dollor set of coilovers.

jesus h christ.

srsly>>>????

T34me
10-04-2009, 02:34 AM
you guys are all fuking idiots........ heating springs is ghetto as fuck. its like reusing a condom and just turnin it inside out.....

your makin homeboys fukin mazda that much more of a piece of shit. if the mother fucker can afford a "titanium" cam he can buy a 50 dollor set of coilovers.

jesus h christ.

srsly>>>????

valid point if you can afford a "titanium" cam :crazy: :lmfao: you should be able to afford a legit suspension setup

bdydrpdmazda
10-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Ive already been preaching the fact that he should just buy the cheapest set of lowering springs he can find, dont know what else I can do...

quickdodgeŽ
10-04-2009, 07:12 AM
qd could you please pm me the instructions also?

Yes sir. I'll get it taken care of right now. Later, QD.

neon_ert3
10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
hey qd, pm those instuctions too please! i think id rather ride on heated springs then the pos ebay coils i have. thanks man

LightsOut
10-05-2009, 01:30 AM
QD still haven't sent me them..... And my car isn't a Mazda... If u read it's a Mitsubishi...... My coil overs arnt 50 bucks cheapest is 279... I don't want springs I had um in other cars not a fan of them....... I bought the cam when I was living with the folks now I have a house it's killing me.......Property tax killing me....

Catnip
10-05-2009, 01:36 AM
QD still haven't sent me them..... And my car isn't a Mazda... If u read it's a Mitsubishi...... My coil overs arnt 50 bucks cheapest is 279... I don't want springs I had um in other cars not a fan of them....... I bought the cam when I was living with the folks now I have a house it's killing me.......Property tax killing me....

You know there'd be no real advantage to a titanium cam over a chromoly/steel cam?

PS, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99-01-MITS-GALANT-COILOVER-SPRINGS-LOWERING-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhash Zitem3a52cc90bcQQitemZ250497241276QQptZMotorsQ5fCa rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

$51

JITB
10-05-2009, 01:43 AM
you wouldnt believe how many people on Ia have cut/heated springs not counting the old schools...lol

Catnip
10-05-2009, 01:47 AM
you wouldnt believe how many people on Ia have cut/heated springs not counting the old schools...lol

I've had at least 10 cars with cut springs :lmfao:

LightsOut
10-05-2009, 01:50 AM
??? It's not a Mazda it's Mitsubishi galant.... And those for a 96 I been looking for 94... I'm not a fan of springs.... And I do have new front wheels? I said that already...... And I'm not gunna heat um.... I just bought the coilovers take a week to get here.... Thanks for all you guys input......... Just looking for jdm front in now...

JITB
10-05-2009, 01:51 AM
buy struts! ur gonna wish u did in a month or 2!

Catnip
10-05-2009, 01:58 AM
kyb agx

LightsOut
10-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks..... I'll check um out now.... Lil sleepy been up 48hrs lol... .... Anyone want a dog? I rescue pitbulls I have a female who is uptodate one shots dewormings. She's active and beautiful... I already own alot : ).... Pm me if interested