PDA

View Full Version : Sports Vick signs deal with Nike....

AirMax95
10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4520896

NEW YORK -- Michael Vick is back with Nike two years after the company severed ties over the quarterback's involvement in a dogfighting ring.

"Mike has a long-standing, great relationship with Nike, and he looks forward to continuing that relationship," his agent, Joel Segal, said Wednesday.

Segal would not reveal terms of the agreement. Nike, however, denied it had signed Vick to a sponsorship contract in a statement released to CNBC.

"Nike does not have a contractual relationship with Michael Vick," Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins said in the statement to CNBC. "We have agreed to supply product to Michael Vick as we do a number of athletes who are not under contract with Nike."

BluesClues
10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Good for him I guess

HalfBaked
10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Nike denied it.

bdydrpdmazda
10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
that is good for him

Sammich
10-01-2009, 11:42 AM
EXCELLENT

BluesClues
10-01-2009, 11:46 AM
On news now. Nike did decline deal!

Oh well

Sammich
10-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Oh well
EPIC:lmfao::lmfao:

AirMax95
10-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Nike denied it.

Not from what I have been reading. He is being supplied product rather than on a Nike contract.

They are going to make money off him wearing their Nike shoes, gear and apparel. There is more to the agreement, but details are still secret.

I think they are going to give him a couple of years "probation" with the gear, then give him a full contract again. They realize his jerseys are selling rapidly, and they want in on the $$, but they also want to see him succeed on/off the field.

Julio
10-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Vick's/Eagle Jersey is the number one selling nfl jersey so this year...

Who wouldnt want in on the pie..

bigdare23
10-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Oh well

Who wouldn't? It's still consider a "risk." More than likely Mike has a deal, but Nike is just trying to keep it hush hush so they don't get backlash from animal lovers (like they wear Nikes anyways). I guess an "image" is more important than helping a man turn his life around. :no:

BlueHatch
10-01-2009, 04:59 PM
glad nike denied it. dude is a piece of trash debt paid or not

BanginJimmy
10-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Vick is popular, no one can deny that. No one ever said you had to be a functioning adult to be popular though. Even Manson gets marriage proposals on a daily basis.

After a very quick bit of research, all of the major apparel companies supply players with free products. As of right now, this isnt even worthy of a 3 line story. Nike is simply marking its territory in case Vick ever gets back on the field.

To all of the Vick apologists out there. What is the draw to him? He was exciting to watch when he ran, but it was absolutely brutal to watch him try to throw. As a QB, I would place him somewhere in the bottom 5 in the league and he has never shown me anything to say he will ever mature into a real QB.

atlxpat
10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Not from what I have been reading. He is being supplied product rather than on a Nike contract.

They are going to make money off him wearing their Nike shoes, gear and apparel. There is more to the agreement, but details are still secret.

I think they are going to give him a couple of years "probation" with the gear, then give him a full contract again. They realize his jerseys are selling rapidly, and they want in on the $$, but they also want to see him succeed on/off the field.
lots of players get free stuff from companies, but its not a contract. i dont think we'll be seeing any of those vick shoes in awhile

AirMax95
10-02-2009, 09:16 AM
lots of players get free stuff from companies, but its not a contract. i dont think we'll be seeing any of those vick shoes in awhile

Well that's what I was saying. He probably wasn't getting crap from sports companies recently due to his past. This move puts Nike in a position to get him back if he proves worthy on/off the field.

As far as shoes go, if Nike doesn't show the $$ in due time, Reebok/Adidas will pitch to him.

VIP Style
10-03-2009, 10:50 AM
just because somebody is pushing for vick and happy that he is back on the right track doesnt mean they are stick riding apologists. Im not the one to talk down or hate just because somebody is doing well, and I think thats why some people have issues with him because of how quick he bounced back to getting to his career/money etc. as far as a backlash is concerned, none of phillies sponsors backed down when they signed him, and there were very few protestors outside his first game. I am pretty sure by now they have decided to stop hating and get a life. people like vick because he can make plays with his arm and legs, plain and simple. the majority of folks who watch football on sundays could really careless if they have a qb thats putting up crazy passer ratings if their team is still the loser at the end. take chad penington for example. chad is set to end his career with the highest completion percentage ever, but does he have any superbowls? AFC championships? none that I can recall.
Vick is popular, no one can deny that. No one ever said you had to be a functioning adult to be popular though. Even Manson gets marriage proposals on a daily basis.

After a very quick bit of research, all of the major apparel companies supply players with free products. As of right now, this isnt even worthy of a 3 line story. Nike is simply marking its territory in case Vick ever gets back on the field.

To all of the Vick apologists out there. What is the draw to him? He was exciting to watch when he ran, but it was absolutely brutal to watch him try to throw. As a QB, I would place him somewhere in the bottom 5 in the league and he has never shown me anything to say he will ever mature into a real QB.

ueyedgr8tness
10-03-2009, 02:58 PM

I no that is right bro.I have been a falcon fan for life and i started going to more games when vick was playing just because win or loose it was fun to watch hime take off and scramble the dude is amazingly fast:yes:

BanginJimmy
10-03-2009, 09:23 PM
just because somebody is pushing for vick and happy that he is back on the right track doesnt mean they are stick riding apologists. Im not the one to talk down or hate just because somebody is doing well, and I think thats why some people have issues with him because of how quick he bounced back to getting to his career/money etc. as far as a backlash is concerned, none of phillies sponsors backed down when they signed him, and there were very few protestors outside his first game. I am pretty sure by now they have decided to stop hating and get a life. people like vick because he can make plays with his arm and legs, plain and simple. the majority of folks who watch football on sundays could really careless if they have a qb thats putting up crazy passer ratings if their team is still the loser at the end. take chad penington for example. chad is set to end his career with the highest completion percentage ever, but does he have any superbowls? AFC championships? none that I can recall.

You are one of the top appoligists on this site, and this is the best you can omem up with? Call everyone a hate for keeping the black man down huh? Vick never has been and never will be a good QB, its that simple. Yes, it is exciting to see him break a long run, but would you really want him behind center if you had to run a 2 minute offense? I would rather have Joey Harrington in that case.

I will tell you straight up, I would LOVE to see a new rule in the NFL that requires a lifetime ban forany player convicted of a felony.

VIP Style
10-04-2009, 12:53 PM
You are one of the top appoligists on this site, and this is the best you can omem up with? Call everyone a hate for keeping the black man down huh? Vick never has been and never will be a good QB, its that simple. Yes, it is exciting to see him break a long run, but would you really want him behind center if you had to run a 2 minute offense? I would rather have Joey Harrington in that case.

I will tell you straight up, I would LOVE to see a new rule in the NFL that requires a lifetime ban forany player convicted of a felony.
lol first I am the top apologists in the world, and according to him herrington is a better qb than vick even though more teams went after vick upon his release from than herrington has ever had in his whole career, and now he wants a lifetime ban for any athlete that commits a felony? lol gtfo. you break the law then of course you need to be punished, superstar or not. vick IMO is a good QB, but not the best, and definitely not the worse.

bdydrpdmazda
10-04-2009, 01:03 PM
the guys done his time and I hope good things happen for him as far as his career goes.