PDA

View Full Version : cv joint replacement???

Killer
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
99 Jeep grand cherokee laredo....

not just the boot the whole thing...

anyone know if this is something you average joe can do??? or should this only be left up to the professionals???

also, here's my symptoms.. when pulling left in a left hand curve (not turn)...
something pops pretty loudly and causes the vehicle to almost straighten back out... so i've gotta pull even further left to correct this...

lmk! thanks!!

Barefoot
09-30-2009, 08:40 PM
99 Jeep grand cherokee laredo....

not just the boot the whole thing...

anyone know if this is something you average joe can do??? or should this only be left up to the professionals???

also, here's my symptoms.. when pulling left in a left hand curve (not turn)...
something pops pretty loudly and causes the vehicle to almost straighten back out... so i've gotta pull even further left to correct this...

lmk! thanks!!doesnt really sound like an axle what does it do in a hard left hand turn.

hondaxpurt
10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
an axle in a grand cherokee you have to take the diff cover off, and there is a snap ring holdng the axle in place you have to remove, its kind of a pain...

hondaxpurt
10-02-2009, 05:58 PM
this is true, it doesnt sound like an axle. maybe a ball joint or where your outer tie rod end connects to your hub?

Killer
11-13-2009, 02:06 PM
i completely forgot that i posted this!!!

barefoot, in a hard left turn it simply POPS pretty loudly.. i guess since i'm not easing the steering wheel it doesn't have time to try to "straighten" the wheel back out..

i've been told by a few that it's either the ball joint or tie rod end....

and to be straight up honest i don't know what either is.. (yes i've heard the terms.. and i know a little about engines... BUT NO i know nothing about suspension and all that jazz)

oh and possibly.. POSSIBLY it sounds like it's starting to pop a little or grind when i make a right hand turn as well... still sounds like it's coming from the left side though!!

Barefoot
11-13-2009, 03:31 PM
i completely forgot that i posted this!!!

barefoot, in a hard left turn it simply POPS pretty loudly.. i guess since i'm not easing the steering wheel it doesn't have time to try to "straighten" the wheel back out..

i've been told by a few that it's either the ball joint or tie rod end....

and to be straight up honest i don't know what either is.. (yes i've heard the terms.. and i know a little about engines... BUT NO i know nothing about suspension and all that jazz)

oh and possibly.. POSSIBLY it sounds like it's starting to pop a little or grind when i make a right hand turn as well... still sounds like it's coming from the left side though!!
i would say inner tie rod ball joint or wheel bearing. if u just the car up on the side u think is making the noise. move the wheel from right to left note what it does. then from top to bottom note what it does. when u jack it up does the wheel just flap there or is it still nice and solid. when your taking notes play close attention to the amount of play. those 3 should have almost non at all.

Tech5
11-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a ball joint to me, but could also be an axle.... The jeep is not bad to do..

does it pop when you go over speed bumps?

Killer
11-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Barefoot, will do!

what kinda work/cost am i looking at as a DIY vs Shop??

and AseTech... No idea... i don't think so.. but i don't got over many speed bumps..