PDA

View Full Version : No power to main relay! wtf

jdm>usdm
09-30-2009, 06:55 PM
So I have a boosted 94 teg. Stock motor. Its been running beautifully lately. Then out of nowhere it started actin up.

It was idleing and then all of the sudden, it cut off. I noticed that the fuel pump wasnt coming on. I turned the key back and forth sevral times, and still, nothing from the fuel pump. After about 10 min of it just sitting, I tried it again and the fuel pump came on. Started it up, and within a minute, it shut itslelf back off, and the fuel pump wouldnt come on again.

I checked power from the plug that plugs up to the fuel pump, and at first I had power. Then I turned the motor over a few times with the pump disconnected, and when I checked for power again, there was none.

So I figured it was the main relay. Replaced it with a new one. Still wouldnt hold an idle. I checked all the connecters inside of the plug that plugs up to the main relay. I used the ground inside of the plug, and then checked the connecter that should always be hot. 5 and 7 I think? And sometimes itll have voltage, then itll just completely loose it. Its super random. I also grounded it on the door hinge to make sure it wasnt a loose ground wire coming off of the plug.

Sometimes it gets power, but most of the time it doest.

And I checked all the fuses.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

RBS
09-30-2009, 07:02 PM
you sure the main relay you put in is good?

your fuel pump could be going out, its a common problem

SUBY_RUE
09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Check the ingnition, mine was acting up and that was the fix...

SUBY_RUE
09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Another thing you could do is check your ecu for moisture in it, sounds crazy but i have seen this happen. I say this becouse all the rain we have had...

jdm>usdm
09-30-2009, 07:08 PM
you sure the main relay you put in is good?

your fuel pump could be going out, its a common problem

I mean I bought it new from Advance.lol I hope so.

Check the ingnition, mine was acting up and that was the fix...

How does the ignition tie into the main relay getting power?
And "ignition" is pretty broad.lol The entire dizzy thats on there though is only about 4 months old.

SUBY_RUE
09-30-2009, 07:20 PM
How does the ignition tie into the main relay getting power?
And "ignition" is pretty broad.lol The entire dizzy thats on there though is only about 4 months old.

In your sterring column, se here #5 goes to your ignition. http://autorepair.about.com/library/graphics/58835672.gif

jdm>usdm
09-30-2009, 07:22 PM
In your sterring column, se here #5 goes to your ignition. http://autorepair.about.com/library/graphics/58835672.gif

Oh shit thanks man! Ill check that out!

RBS
09-30-2009, 07:24 PM
it basically runs to the yellow wire i think, behind the key tumbler

jdm>usdm
09-30-2009, 08:15 PM

I just checked for power coming out of that plug for the ignition, and its there.

But what exactley is it in the steering column that Im looking for?

dirk-diggler
10-01-2009, 07:44 PM
check ur alternator fuse , on a ef if it is blown the main relay wont work ....shits crazy

GhostSTI
10-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Ignition wire is black/yellow in steering column going to cab fuse panel FWIW.