PDA

View Full Version : Misc Air Force...

SL33P3R
09-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Anyone on here been active duty with the Air Force or have any input with it? Im debating....

Discuss.

AlliRae
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm am in the process of trying to go in. All I have left in the physical.

Seems like a good idea. I've been talking back and forth with a friend I graduated with who is stationed in Alaska and he says that they are about to try and get more people in = bigger sign on bonuses. Just something to think about.

SL33P3R
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Im considering Air Combat Controller. It carries a $13k signing bonus currently, it would be nice if it were more though :)

DunDunSkeert
09-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Im considering Air Combat Controller. It carries a $13k signing bonus currently, it would be nice if it were more though :)

That Is the job That I just qualified for, The physical test sucks so start working out now. Unfortunately a lot of people are trying to join so not many jobs are available. If I do decide to stay CCT I probably won't leave till March...

tony
09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Currently active duty, one of the guys I know from training went Combat Controller. If you can get through the training you are ahead of 80% of the people who try.

teh bri
09-29-2009, 04:56 PM
my brother, after he graduates..

SL33P3R
That Is the job That I just qualified for, The physical test sucks so start working out now. Unfortunately a lot of people are trying to join so not many jobs are available. If I do decide to stay CCT I probably won't leave till March...

Oh nice. Yeah I consider myself in above average shape, I just have to stop smoking. As far as physical shape I feel like Ill be fine. Was your signing bonus $13k aswell?

SL33P3R
Currently active duty, one of the guys I know from training went Combat Controller. If you can get through the training you are ahead of 80% of the people who try.

Where are you stationed? What's your opinion and stuff. Id like to hear it

AlliRae
09-29-2009, 05:00 PM

me too:D

SL33P3R
09-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Why the fuck was this thread moved? I wanted it in a section where there would be alot of views. Chill out power trippers

BABY J
09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
BABY J - US Air Force 1997 - 2004 / AWACS / Airborne Mission Systems
http://seriouscustoms.com/importtuner/FLIGHTSUIT.JPG

The Air Force was one of my better decisions in life.

tony
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Charleston AFB for now,

Honestly it depends on the individual. The AF and I'm sure any branch of the service is what you make of it. Some people hate the AF, some love it. Personally I prefer the discipline of the Marines but the Air Force atmosphere is pretty laid back and I like how they emphasize family values.

I'm not in Spec Ops so I'm not sure how it would be for you as a CC, I'm in a transportation AFSC and things aren't so serious as they may be Hurlburt, I imagine it has to be a very rewarding career.

tony
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
BABY J - US Air Force 1997 - 2004 / AWACS / Airborne Mission Systems
http://seriouscustoms.com/importtuner/FLIGHTSUIT.JPG

The Air Force was one of my better decisions in life.

Have any experience with Airborne Intel Officers? I'm thinking about applying for that position with a Guard unit but I havent talked to anyone in that AFSC.

SL33P3R
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
My dad's dad was in the Air Force and my dad is extremely supportive of it. It seemed like every person my dads age that WASNT in the Airforce (my dad is 43), says that thats one thing they wish they would've done in their life. Even if they didnt stay with it as a career, but just for the discipline and experience..

tony
09-29-2009, 05:21 PM
My dad's dad was in the Air Force and my dad is extremely supportive of it. It seemed like every person my dads age that WASNT in the Airforce (my dad is 43), says that thats one thing they wish they would've done in their life. Even if they didnt stay with it as a career, but just for the discipline and experience..

That part is very true

DunDunSkeert
09-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Oh nice. Yeah I consider myself in above average shape, I just have to stop smoking. As far as physical shape I feel like Ill be fine. Was your signing bonus $13k aswell?

Just realize that you do everything in the requirements within a couple of hours. In case you havn't looked at the requirements you need to complete,

Two 20-meter under water swims
500-meter surface swim in 14:00
1.5 mile run in 10:45
6 pull ups in one minute
45 sit ups/crunches (hands behind head) in 2 minutes
45 push ups in 2 minutes

The swimming is usually the hardest for most people, at 14:00 it is more about making the distance than the time. I swam it in 10:43 at a quick pace and was ready to quit half way through because I was sore from self administering the entire test two days prior to the real test(That was a bad idea). That was the hardest I've ever pushed myself before and I couldn't even stand when I got out.

I really want to be in combat control, you have to understand that combat control is the elite of the Airforce and absolutely insane. This is all based off what I have heard from people in the AF. Less than 1% of the AF is in CCT (combat control), and most people don't make it all the way through training. Combat controllers are killing machines. During training they will hold you underwater till you pass out, then revive you. During training and when you try to join CCT they try really hard to talk you out of it, they tell you that you shouldn't do it. They do that because the want to weed out the people that arn't dead-set on doing it. I havn't really heard much about it beacause not many people do it but anyone in the Airforce that I ask about CCT tells me that those guys are nuts.

I'm not trying to scare you I'm just telling you what I have been told. If you are really serous about CCT or any of the special forces jobs. I would reccomend you start training now. Go to a YMCA and try to complete the test (just don't try this 2 days bfore the real test). The swimming sucks.

Don't choose a job soley based on the money, choose something that you will and enjoy and preferable a job that will transefer to a civilian job, something that you can use when you are out.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do and just try your hardest man.

Best of wishes and good luck,
Aaron

BABY J
09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
They do not hold you underwater until you pass out by they way.

DunDunSkeert
09-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I was wondering about that one...

SL33P3R
09-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Just realize that you do everything in the requirements within a couple of hours. In case you havn't looked at the requirements you need to complete,

Two 20-meter under water swims
500-meter surface swim in 14:00
1.5 mile run in 10:45
6 pull ups in one minute
45 sit ups/crunches (hands behind head) in 2 minutes
45 push ups in 2 minutes

The swimming is usually the hardest for most people, at 14:00 it is more about making the distance than the time. I swam it in 10:43 at a quick pace and was ready to quit half way through because I was sore from self administering the entire test two days prior to the real test(That was a bad idea). That was the hardest I've ever pushed myself before and I couldn't even stand when I got out.

I really want to be in combat control, you have to understand that combat control is the elite of the Airforce and absolutely insane. This is all based off what I have heard from people in the AF. Less than 1% of the AF is in CCT (combat control), and most people don't make it all the way through training. Combat controllers are killing machines. During training they will hold you underwater till you pass out, then revive you. During training and when you try to join CCT they try really hard to talk you out of it, they tell you that you shouldn't do it. They do that because the want to weed out the people that arn't dead-set on doing it. I havn't really heard much about it beacause not many people do it but anyone in the Airforce that I ask about CCT tells me that those guys are nuts.

I'm not trying to scare you I'm just telling you what I have been told. If you are really serous about CCT or any of the special forces jobs. I would reccomend you start training now. Go to a YMCA and try to complete the test (just don't try this 2 days bfore the real test). The swimming sucks.

Don't choose a job soley based on the money, choose something that you will and enjoy and preferable a job that will transefer to a civilian job, something that you can use when you are out.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do and just try your hardest man.

Best of wishes and good luck,
Aaron

Honestly Ive looked over those requirements. The physical part of it is hilarious. 6 pull ups in a minute? The only part that I belive will be a "challenge" of some sort will be the swimming. Ive been swimming since I was 4. I truly believe im above average at that aswell. I think ACC will be a challenge for me, but im willing to do it and excited to do it.

-Taylor

DunDunSkeert
09-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Honestly Ive looked over those requirements. The physical part of it is hilarious. 6 pull ups in a minute? The only part that I belive will be a "challenge" of some sort will be the swimming. Ive been swimming since I was 4. I truly believe im above average at that aswell. I think ACC will be a challenge for me, but im willing to do it and excited to do it.

-Taylor

Sounds like you're good to go. I never swam lap in my life until I started training to get ready, that was the only thing I had a real hard time with. It's best if you exceed the requirements everybody did more than 6 pullups. Have fun man

japan4racing
09-30-2009, 02:26 AM
im not in the airforce but i work on an air force base doing electrical mods to c-17 aircraft. if i could go back in time i would have joined the air force and be on my way to a retirement. i would have 8 years in right now and could retire with 20 years in at 38 years old. then i could get the job i have now and retire again. its so hard to make the decision when you are fresh out of highschool but after you grow up a little you really start to realize it. im greatful for my govt job but i kick myself in the ass every day for not joining right out of highschool.

MachNU
09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
um for those saying signing bonus...thats only for the jobs that THEY NEED people for. Normal enlistment is no bonus right now...like someone already stated, economy has driven alot of people into service!

jhadleyh
09-30-2009, 08:13 PM
im in the reserve but im joining rotc and after that i will be active duty. I cant wait

tony
09-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Actually.. well I'll just say this. At lackland back in March/April someone in Pararescue died due to an incident like this, those responsible thought he was holding his breath under water because he never panicked. I can't say for sure if he was being held down or if this was regular training.

jhadleyh
09-30-2009, 08:48 PM
i hate lackland afb btw

SL33P3R
10-01-2009, 01:20 AM
um for those saying signing bonus...thats only for the jobs that THEY NEED people for. Normal enlistment is no bonus right now...like someone already stated, economy has driven alot of people into service!

IIRC, there are only 3-4 jobs that carry signing bonuses at the moment in the AF. And all of those are special forces type jobs

dallasb84
10-01-2009, 03:02 AM
i was in the air force for 3 years...... now i make 75k per years.... it sucked soooooo bad