PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GTO Warrenty Problem =(

1SLWPOS
09-29-2009, 11:27 AM
I purchased a 2004 Pontiac GTO through Carmax back in 2008. At the time I opted to purchase a warranty through Carmax for given vehicle for up to 5 years and set amount of miles. I have not had many issues with the vehicle. It was in for repairs once since I have owned it & they fixed with no problems. A little after I purchased vehicle I installed HID Headlights, KNN Intake, and Cut Outs. I had vehicle for months after and never had any problems. Until the month of September I noticed every once awhile I was having a light on the dash come in, that I believed to be an alarm/security light. It would come on & go off and then come back on & go off, and so forth. I never had any problems locking my car, unlocking, starting the car, or even any crazy alarm issues. I continued to drive the car for awhile while seeing the light, however never having any issues. Since I was not having any serious issues with this given light I did not take vehicle anywhere to have it checked yet. Then the past week my check engine light came on. So I drove vehicle to Auto Zone to have them pull the codes for me. It came up for O2 sensor. So I decided that since I have a warranty with Carmax for my vehicle for stuff like this that I will go ahead & take it up to Carmax to have them repair vehicle. So I call Carmax and make a service appointment. I borrow a car to drive while they have my vehicle for servicing since I have to make it to work during the week & have no idea how long it will take. So I drop off the vehicle on Sunday for my Monday appointment. They call a little after 8 saying they are getting the car in & wanted to make sure they know what’s going on with it given what I told the lady when I made the appointment so they confirm everything with me. They tell me as soon as they diagnose they will call me back. So later that afternoon, after lunch time and all they call me back & tell me that they will not continue to work on my vehicle as we have voided the warranty we purchased. I ask them how so? They said since we installed different headlights and changed the exhaust system it voids the warranty. Given the issue is an alarm/security issue and a check engine light I proceed to ask them how has what I changed has caused the occurring issues. They tell me that he headlight wiring has caused the alarm/security light and any changing of the exhaust made the check engine light come on saying it is running lean. So after spending countless times on the phone speaking with Carmax service dept and even the manager, I have been told my warranty is voided. Yet, Carmax cannot tell me exactly why the aftermarket HID headlights and Cut Outs have caused the given issues & voided my warranty. All they continue to say is that the vehicle has been “modified” no longer making it under warranty. And that they will not continue to diagnose the vehicle any further. And cannot provide me with any other information besides they cannot work on the vehicle. Now I am stuck paying a diagnostic to be done for them to tell me they can’t work on it and with a vehicle that needs repairs done when I have purchased a warranty that was supposed to cover me just in case. I am stuck and have no idea what to do next. I have tried to call & talk to manager only to get transferred and get voicemail. I have left message with gentleman who was assigned my vehicle when it was brought it and left message and have not received any phone calls back. What should I do?

Barefoot
09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
cliffs

browningboy7
09-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Guy buys car and warranty from carmax, Installs HID's and exhaust, Security light and check engine light comes on, Carmax says warranty is voided because of HID's and exhaust that has been installed.

Barefoot
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Guy buys car and warranty from carmax, Installs HID's and exhaust, Security light and check engine light comes on, Carmax says warranty is voided because of HID's and exhaust that has been installed.sounds standard they are only giving u the warranty for the car they sold u. if u change the engine parts other than oem you fucked yourself. an electrical dont get me started quickest way to void a warranty. thats y people with new cars under warranty ill pull it all off then put back on the oem stuff before it goes in for warranty work.

browningboy7
09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
If it just needs an o2 sensor just take it to Barefoot.

collins
09-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Magnasun moss act. They have to prove that whatever you changed caused the problem, not just say "oh the wiring did it." that's bullshit. The ONLY way this would hold up in court is if it says in the fine print that any modification or alteration of OEM parts will void the warranty. If it just says bumper to bumper with no defining clauses, the burden of proof lies on them.

Ruststang
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
What Carmax did you buy it from and are the headlights just plug and play adapters?

collins
09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Btw, it's not your hids. I've had hids in mine since the day I brought it home. Never had a problem. Shouldn't be the cutouts IF they're behind the cats and 2nd O2 sensor.

Barefoot
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
lol i read the post lol. for an o2 u can take it back to the dealer for a 7/70 or 8/80 emission equipment is warrantied no matter what for 8 years or 80k which ever comes first. an i would replace everything with stock stuff before u take it up there.

Barefoot
09-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Magnasun moss act. They have to prove that whatever you changed caused the problem, not just say "oh the wiring did it." that's bullshit. The ONLY way this would hold up in court is if it says in the fine print that any modification or alteration of OEM parts will void the warranty. If it just says bumper to bumper with no defining clauses, the burden of proof lies on them.
a good mech can do that without thinking.

EfnTyler
09-29-2009, 05:23 PM

i would look into this if it were me....good luck with it

98blackcivic
09-29-2009, 08:32 PM
yea i would never modify my car if it was under warranty