PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Buying an AUTO vs. A Manual vehicle.

Greddypacked
09-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Well I admit I love driving a manual car and they are usually cheaper to buy when they are manual... BUT... when it comes down to servicing them which one is more costly to fix in the longer run(auto or manual). I say Manuals are because you need to service them more w/ more parts, usually if you maintain a tranny service (flush, new fluids) on the auto's at the right time they last alot longer. Discuss.

Elbow
09-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Automatics by a long shot.

Jecht
09-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Automatics always end up more expensive - there are a LOT more parts in them to break.

Sammich
09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
QFT

I'D ROCK A MANUAL FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE IF MY KNEE WASNT A FACTOR..I CAN SEE ONE OF MY NEXT FEW CARS BEING AUTOMATIC, UNFORTUNATELY

DB4LYFE ™
09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
i converted.... automatic FTMFL!! i went through two auto trannys.. im in love with my manny!

~DB4LYFE

Sammich
09-29-2009, 11:49 AM
i converted.... automatic FTMFL!! i went through two auto trannys.. im in love with my man!

~DB4LYFE:thinking::gay::police:

civicturbo10
09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd have to says autos cost more to fix. More complex and rebuilds sometimes go awry...
Manuals seem to take alot of abuse...from what i've seen / read.

On the other hand -
On the Supra TT - they come in auto or manual. The auto is good for under 500. The manual on the other hand is damn near bullitt proof. Ryan Woon hits 8 secs. i believe. Granted the manual is manufactured by Getrag.

Cost to fix :
Auto - cheap b/c you can find another used one for less than rebuild cost under, $500 back on the road.
Manual - expensive. rebuild approaches 1 - 3K depending on what u need. (Also not anyone can rebuild getrag for TT and get it right) New $5k - $6k from dealer. Also, so many people are doing manual swap thus keeping used prices up. $2k min for one, used.

sprix!
09-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Automatics are much more prone to failure than manuals. I would say it isn't even a close ratio of transmission failures of auto vs manual.

AlliRae
09-29-2009, 05:23 PM
the major factor in this is what are you wanting to do with the car?

race it? daily drive it? what?

In general :

Automatics are much more costly to fix that manuals. If one thing goes wrong with it - it will usually take out many more parts in the transmission. IE torque converter locks up in a tahoe trans (4L60) takes out sunshell, electronics, seals, etc. Cost of parts 500+clutches and steels (add another 150 at least) for a minor rebuild + labor...

manuals - clutch goes out/slipping. Okay so between 150-500 for a clutch and then labor to put it in. Not saying that other parts might not be messed up - but this is just with normal wear.

These are all just in general. Yes if you want to go racing with the car, you should know that things are just gonna break more often. You start pushing you car to more limits you are going to start finding them - and that usually involves breaking more parts, no matter what part of the car. High HP neon without motor mounts = axles. High HP camaro = transmission/ torque arm/ you name it.

DrewS2K
10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
ever since gettin my first manual i've loved it, and i had an automatic for about 6 years. dont think ill be going back to an auto anytime soon

bdydrpdmazda
10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
I have one of each. there are waaaay too many differences in trannys to try and compare costs when it comes to fixing and maintaining them. One manual may cost you $200 to rebuild and a different manual might cost you $2000 to rebuild, same goes for auto. I prefer driving the manual though

m3dic8d
10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Only repair that sucks on MT is replacing the clutch...sucks when they go out (man when I was first learning to drive stick I burned through so many clutches lmao)

Elbow
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM
It sucks to replace a clutch, not hard, just time consuming and boring. I had to drop the tranny in my 240 when I had it twice in a week once.

BITCHING
10-07-2009, 01:07 AM
stick for a 4 banger auto for a v8 or family car

j0nbunklah0m
10-07-2009, 01:20 AM
manual=fun car
auto= DD

oldcorolla
10-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Manual all the way around ,with gas prices what they are you can normally get better fuel mileage out of the manual. If you know how to drive a manual and are nice to the clutch it should last you longer than your brake pads. Manuals can be a bit of a pain to drive in stop and go traffic or on alot of hills but thats what makes it fun for me , starting on a hill with no e-brake and without lighting the tires up poses a bit of a challenge even for some veteran drivers . In the end it really always boils down to personal preference.

Glides
10-15-2009, 07:59 AM
the major factor in this is what are you wanting to do with the car?

race it? daily drive it? what?

In general :

Automatics are much more costly to fix that manuals. If one thing goes wrong with it - it will usually take out many more parts in the transmission. IE torque converter locks up in a tahoe trans (4L60) takes out sunshell, electronics, seals, etc. Cost of parts 500+clutches and steels (add another 150 at least) for a minor rebuild + labor...

manuals - clutch goes out/slipping. Okay so between 150-500 for a clutch and then labor to put it in. Not saying that other parts might not be messed up - but this is just with normal wear.

These are all just in general. Yes if you want to go racing with the car, you should know that things are just gonna break more often. You start pushing you car to more limits you are going to start finding them - and that usually involves breaking more parts, no matter what part of the car. High HP neon without motor mounts = axles. High HP camaro = transmission/ torque arm/ you name it.

Alli wins.

Everything in this conversations comes down to how you drive, where you drive and why you drive.

If you are peeling out, racing around town, in traffic all the time. Your manual is going to make you hate life. See it doesn't just boil down to the transmissions. You got to think what that manual makes you do. It's like a woman that won't give it up. it makes you do things y ou wouldn't normally do...such as, but not limited too. Spinning tires, revving high, speed shifting and whatever else you do to impress yourself and others. So with a Manual you will also have the added expense of clutches, tires, axles, syncros and whatnot. Plus, do a daily grind over and over up and down the connector to work and back and your manual will become the devil quickly.

Automatics on the other hand, usually keep you from boiling tires because let's face it, underpowered cars with automatics are not exciting to watch chug up the road trying to lay drag. Most folks would rather watch 2 men hump than be subjected that that. So that keeps your other bits of maintenance down.

But, set an Auto on a bench, and a manual on a bench and go through them to replace everything, you will spend more money on an Automatic. Depending on how you drive, you may spend more in the log run on the Manual.

AnthonyF
10-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Manual for life. I love the automatic b/c I dont have to shift, but I always get bored.

Manuals save on brakes, save on gas, and you really don't need to service them as much as you think. A clutch every 100-200k miles (depending on car and how you drive), slave cylinder MAYBE every 100k+ miles?

Automatics, trans services, trans cooler lines, (if the cooler runs into the radiator, looking at more problems) trans filter kits every 30k-50k (if you do them on time), some of the electronics could go bad in the trans., etc...

Price (longrun) - Manual > Automatic
Dependability - Manual > Automatic
Comfort - Automatic > Manual

My mustang had 100+k miles on it, with 100 drag passes, burnouts, stupid shit with a near beautiful clutch the last time I saw it at 90k. B/c I daily drove it nice and easy. i babied it. My civic had 190k on the OEM clutch when I got rid of it.

-Ant.

TIGERJC
10-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Auto for DD - I have 240k miles on my Camry's auto
Manuel for anything else - So much fun to drive

ep9716
10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
manual=fun car
Manual= DD

Fixed.

Outphase
10-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Automatics are hard to service...

Torque converters, the transmission...etc...

I feel like manual was always easier, iunno, maybe it's just me.

S2KJD
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
automatics are like only having sex in one postion for the rest of your life...boring.

Greddypacked
10-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I admit I like Manuals on sport cars also. Now if its a big truck I would rather have an auto, even though I used to drive 9 spd. semi trucks lol. Though driving 9 spd's would be fun, it would f..k your knees up after 10 hours of driving a day for months at a time.