PDA

View Full Version : General Chat things i just don't understand about car fads

GGPIS3
09-29-2009, 01:30 AM
1. wheel fitment.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2392/2256752393_85888bac94_b.jpg

- i can understand getting your wheels to be flush with your fenders, but when the wheel starts to portrude past the fender, it is no longer flush imo.
- i also don't get the whole idea of running a 9.5" wide wheel with a 205/215/225 on it. makes no sense to me.

when i started learning about cars, i was told that parts had to serve a purpose. if the part didn't serve a purpose, then it was considered rice. when you have a 9.5" wide wheel and you don't have at least a 255 on it, well the wheel isn't quite serving its purpose. feel me?

- what is with all the FWD guys all running staggered setups? or trying to look like they are a RWD? what is the point of that? if you wanted a car that looked rwd, why not get a rwd car? :thinking:

2. JDM as F*CK!

http://www.anythingbutcoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/jdm-soshinoya-new-driver-badges-large.jpg

what is the point of this sticker? people just randomly put it on their cars and for what? is it so cool to have a sticker that does not flow at all with your car? the only people that know what it really means are people who already know your car is jdm. so what is the point? not trying to diss anyone that has it, i just don't get it. as tony said, maybe its because of our old age lol, but if i look back to when i was younger, i remember it was always about a clean car, a well balanced car, a car with taste and styling that appeals to the masses. i guess times have changed and what was considered rice back in the 90's is now considered cool...

3. NEWS FLASH

PROCEED TO PAGE 2 for the true meaning of the jdm badge :lmfao:

ps. im sure i'll get flamed for my opinions on certain matters. just remember, they are my opinions. im not telling anyone what to do or how to mod their cars. some people call my car rice too, so it is what it is.

87 Turbo II
09-29-2009, 01:55 AM
agreeing with you so far, gonna wait until you post something I can rag on you for. So far everything you said is stuff people have been bitching at me for saying for a while now haha. We're not the only ones though, a lot of people feel the same way, just most of IA is either too afraid of losing reps, or follows the fads themselves.

Elbow
09-29-2009, 09:01 AM
All this has been said before in numerous threads, I've called half these things out. REPOST.

ZenMotors
09-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Wow, Dan thats an attack to someone we know. Lol...

Elbow
09-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Who's Dan? lol

EDIT: Thought you were the OP..LOL..de de de.

Nerdsrock22
09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
1. wheel fitment.

- i can understand getting your wheels to be flush with your fenders, but when the wheel starts to portrude past the fender, it is no longer flush imo.
- i also don't get the whole idea of running a 9.5" wide wheel with a 205/215/225 on it. makes no sense to me.

when i started learning about cars, i was told that parts had to serve a purpose. if the part didn't serve a purpose, then it was considered rice. when you have a 9.5" wide wheel and you don't have at least a 255 on it, well the wheel isn't quite serving its purpose. feel me?

- what is with all the FWD guys all running staggered setups? or trying to look like they are a RWD? what is the point of that? if you wanted a car that looked rwd, why not get a rwd car? :thinking:

The purpose is to make people look at, and talk about their car, which they have done quite successfully. In a world with millions of civics, you have to do something to make your car stand out. If someone chooses to put staggered 9" wheels on their eg, its because they want other people to take notice, whine about it, and post their picture all over the internet talking about how crazy it is. Boom: they're internet celebrities, and their car is everywhere.

It's nothing new. Why did The Who break their instruments after their shows? Why did Andy Warhol wear a dumb wig?

Its art. Enjoy it. Laugh at it. Love it. Hate it. Just be happy its not all the same.

:2cents:

whatever210
09-29-2009, 10:50 AM
All this has been said before in numerous threads, I've called half these things out. REPOST.
you must be the new qd

GGPIS3
09-29-2009, 10:57 AM
The purpose is to make people look at, and talk about their car, which they have done quite successfully. In a world with millions of civics, you have to do something to make your car stand out. If someone chooses to put staggered 9" wheels on their eg, its because they want other people to take notice, whine about it, and post their picture all over the internet talking about how crazy it is. Boom: they're internet celebrities, and their car is everywhere.

It's nothing new. Why did The Who break their instruments after their shows? Why did Andy Warhol wear a dumb wig?

Its art. Enjoy it. Laugh at it. Love it. Hate it. Just be happy its not all the same.

:2cents:

^^ while i agree with you, i also don't. just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should. ie. painting wheels odd colors.

in the end, the way i see it, the uglier you make your car look, the better it makes mine look.

Jecht
09-29-2009, 10:57 AM
The staggered setups started with VWs because you have to have a crazy offset in the rear to get the wheels flush with the fenders on most VWs. Honda guys have no point in doing it.

Nerdsrock22
09-29-2009, 11:02 AM
^^ while i agree with you, i also don't. just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should. ie. painting wheels odd colors.

Why shouldn't you?

Sammich
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM

BECAUSE I LIKE THE STAGGERED LOOK ON A MAXIPAD...BTU I DONT HAVE STAGGERED ON THERE...BUT I DO DESIRE IT:D

SINCE THE WIFE SAYS NO MORE RACING, I DONT SEE WHY I CANT JUST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD AND 'CLEAN' :yes:

S2KJD
09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
does a staggered setup on a front wheel drive help on handling through corning? i have heard this bf and figure this is a good place to ask hehe!

Sammich
09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
does a staggered setup on a front wheel drive help on handling through corning? i have heard this bf and figure this is a good place to ask hehe!
LOL I DONT KNOW, AND I WONT FIND OUT NOW

Nerdsrock22
09-29-2009, 11:17 AM

I doubt it. If it did, it would probably come like that from the factory.

Which it doesn't.

S2KJD
09-29-2009, 11:21 AM
LOL I DONT KNOW, AND I WONT FIND OUT NOW

lol! i hear ya as i dont care either just heard it bf thats all :rolleyes:

someone needs to test this out lol!

Sammich
09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
I WOULD, BUT THE WIFE WOULDNT LIEK THAT THOUGHT...SO TO KEEP PEACE...I DO THE RIGHT THING AND RICE OUT MY CAR :D

EP3sAreFun
09-29-2009, 01:15 PM
I doubt it. If it did, it would probably come like that from the factory.

Which it doesn't.
or maybe the factory is more worried about tire wear than getting the most lateral Gs.

sprix!
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM

There is a way to stagger a front driver, but you would put the larger/wider stuff in front and the narrower stuff in the rear. Pontiac actually did this with some of the V8 equipped Grand Prixs and the agreement was that it was a huge benefit. It reduced torque steer and even added a bit of oversteer

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/05q4/pontiac_grand_prix_gxp-road_test

tony
09-29-2009, 05:41 PM

I really don't get that, the portuding wheels thing that everyone loves so much, I just figured it was me getting old but I guess I'm not the only one.

GGPIS3
10-18-2009, 02:59 PM
^^ im old too so it may just be an old man thing lol.

i guess most older people are smart cuz they have already come and gone. they have realized how dumb of an investment it is to mod their cars and have moved on while the rest of us.... well uhhh yeah... lol

bump for #2

HypnoToad
10-18-2009, 03:21 PM
if u got a 9.5in wheel,u need atleast 275s.

well im coming from the domestic world,im used to seeing wide tires with beefy tires.......i dont like the new tire stuff.

Tracy
10-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I think the wheel fitment thing that you mentioned started in drifting. If it protrudes and you crash, you hit the tire/wheel and hope it cushions the rest of the things you could break when you hit. Not sure though.

Ziptied
10-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Its for looks, period. No real benefit especially if stretching tires. Looks and nothing more.

m3dic8d
10-18-2009, 07:03 PM
People who do stuff like this to their cars are like fat people to me. The worse they look, the better they make me look. I don't feel the need to talk shit about them, because they're a necessary evil. To each their own, and I'm just happy to be me.

At how arrogant that sounded, /flamesuit on lolol

BluesClues
10-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Those are all really good points. I wonder the same damn thing myself (I just don't ask). I also don't understand the purpose of the JDM stickers, but if others like them, then it's cool with me :goodjob:

Nerdsrock22
10-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Those are all really good points. I wonder the same damn thing myself (I just don't ask). I also don't understand the purpose of the JDM stickers, but if others like them, then it's cool with me :goodjob:

Just for fun. :dunno:

VooDooXII
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm going to start rockin' one of these since my car isn't "JDM."

http://i38.tinypic.com/25r2tza.jpg

87 Turbo II
10-19-2009, 01:02 AM
I think the wheel fitment thing that you mentioned started in drifting. If it protrudes and you crash, you hit the tire/wheel and hope it cushions the rest of the things you could break when you hit. Not sure though.

To me that sounds like if your wheel protrudes, the drivetrain its bolted to could take more damage rather than a body panel. I'd rather have the wheels absorb less damage.

ATL_EG
10-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Its for looks, period. No real benefit especially if stretching tires. Looks and nothing more.

i had always heard streched tires originated in europe, where laws say that the tire cannot stretch past the fender, and to run wide wheels they streched the tires to stay inside the fenderwell.

don't quote me on that though

EP3sAreFun
10-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Well a stretched tire reduces sidewall flex right? I had heard some of the drifters run a stretched tire so the tire breaks loose easier?

*shrug*

oneSLOWex
10-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Its all a matter of opinion and taste. It doesn't serve any purpose and probably hurts the performance of the vehicle...but not everyone races their car or cares about performance as much as looks. While you think it looks stupid....that same person might hate your car.

Personally I like it....BUT you can go too far or FAIL like the example in the OP. With time it will fade away just like everything else does...and something new will come along that some hate and some love....

Sammich
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
I CANT WAIT TO THROW SOME STAGGERED VOLKS ON THE MAXIPAD

bu villain
10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Although I don't know the true answers, here is my best guess on the reason why people do these two things:

Tire stretch/wheels outside of the fender - I think this is mostly due to people trying to get too much of a good thing. For example, most people agree big lips look good so how can you get a bigger lip? Well you could get a widebody but a much cheaper way is to have some rediculous camber and stretched tires. Eventually, people take these methods and take them to their extreme. Slowly it creeps into peoples psyche that more stretch = better, more camber = better, etc. I bet a vast majority of people who think that look is so hot now, probably would have been scratching their heads when they first saw it. As with all fads, eventually people sober up to the reality that it really makes little sense and that functionality and beauty are highly integrated.

JDM - I think there are three main reasons for this fad. First, its simple backlash from the days of huge wings and mammoth body kits. Second, people think of Japan as an exotic authority in cars and therefore whatever they do is cool and respectable. Finally, people like belonging to groups. Following the trend allows you to be a member and is like a quick path to more friends. It's interesting that people are willing to label themselves as "new drivers" (Sashinoya badges) in order to seem more JDM which is so contrary to most car enthusiasts.

bluuuurr
10-25-2009, 04:57 PM
the wide wheel thing is murder on paint.. as seen in pic #1

GGPIS3
10-28-2009, 11:28 PM
LMAO... my wife just enligthened me with the meaning on this so called jdm badge. so i wikipedia'd it to see if it was true lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshinsha_mark

The Shoshinsha mark (初心者マーク?) or Wakaba mark (若葉マーク?) is a green and yellow V-shaped symbol that new Japanese drivers must display on their cars for one year. A driver must display this mark one in front of the car, and one on back of the car, after they obtain a standard driver's licence, for one year. This obligation is only for a standard license, not for motorcycles, large vehicles, special cars, and so on. Drivers who consider themselves beginners may also continue to display the sign, even if they have passed a year period.
Its official name is The Beginner Drivers' Sign (初心運転者標識, shoshin untensha hyōshiki?). Conversely, the orange and yellow "Fukushi mark" or "Koreisha mark" denotes elderly drivers. Both marks are designed to warn other drivers that the marked driver is not very skilled, either due to inexperience or old age.

NOOB DRIVERS!!!! LMFAO :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

secondgencamaro
10-29-2009, 11:17 AM
^ Oh that's just awesome. I heard about the two stickers being for beginning driver's (and the other I thought was for skilled driver's) on a track or something. I didn't know it was for driving on actual roads. It fits ridiculously well to most people that display it over here. Lolol.

Captain-Obvious™
10-29-2009, 11:40 AM
LMAO... my wife just enligthened me with the meaning on this so called jdm badge. so i wikipedia'd it to see if it was true lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshinsha_mark

The Shoshinsha mark (初心者マーク?) or Wakaba mark (若葉マーク?) is a green and yellow V-shaped symbol that new Japanese drivers must display on their cars for one year. A driver must display this mark one in front of the car, and one on back of the car, after they obtain a standard driver's licence, for one year. This obligation is only for a standard license, not for motorcycles, large vehicles, special cars, and so on. Drivers who consider themselves beginners may also continue to display the sign, even if they have passed a year period.
Its official name is The Beginner Drivers' Sign (初心運転者標識, shoshin untensha hyōshiki?). Conversely, the orange and yellow "Fukushi mark" or "Koreisha mark" denotes elderly drivers. Both marks are designed to warn other drivers that the marked driver is not very skilled, either due to inexperience or old age.

NOOB DRIVERS!!!! LMFAO :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

:thinking:

You honestly didn't know that's what it meant?

This is old news. Very old.

GGPIS3
10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
^^ had no idea... lol

i just remember seeing it on so many cars at one point and kept thinking to myself why is this a new fad? now i know the real meaning behind it so its really funny as most people woud explain the meaning as a jdm thing not having any clue whatsoever lol.

quickdodge®
10-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Conversely, the orange and yellow "Fukushi mark" or "Koreisha mark" denotes elderly drivers. Both marks are designed to warn other drivers that the marked driver is not very skilled, either due to inexperience or old age.

The Koreisha mark is for elderly drivers. Not inexperience. I have one of these for my Civic. Later, QD.

1SICKLEX
10-30-2009, 01:30 AM
OMG, dude, so on point with point 1. I do not get all these stretched tires especially if the car is SPORTS CAR. Do it to a car to cruise in!

Staggered wheels on FWD is a huge no no in my book. WTF is the point? There is FUNCTIONAL REASON RWD cars have wider tires in the back!! It looks amateur and completely poseur.

My baby rant lol

RACEMYCOPCAR
10-30-2009, 09:06 PM
I havent heard anyone mention "VIP" yet. Why people would want over priced butt pillows/rear view tassles (fusa)/aftermarket car curtains and stupid looking ad on (airline style) tray tables is beyond me. The funny part is they claim to be "VIP" yet when they pull up and get out they are wearing a T-shirt and an old pair of jeans.......

m3dic8d
10-30-2009, 11:00 PM
I havent heard anyone mention "VIP" yet. Why people would want over priced butt pillows/rear view tassles (fusa)/aftermarket car curtains and stupid looking ad on (airline style) tray tables is beyond me. The funny part is they claim to be "VIP" yet when they pull up and get out they are wearing a T-shirt and an old pair of jeans.......

Haha. I've noticed a lot of people with really nice cars that come out bummy...not just this trend.

okra1981
11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I would look like a bum in anything I drive, I'd still wear the same jeans and t-shirts no matter what the car, but I'd never put an airline tray on my dash or curtains in my windows, that's just tacky.

JITB
11-08-2009, 01:29 PM

pillows/tassles/fusas are all part of the Vip culture. The fuga and the other ornaments have meaning of good luck/fortune. And have a religious meaning to them. The tray tables/trays/curtains show a certain class luxury. So all that has a theme with it. the point of Vip is luxury.. fur seats/swavorski crystals/leather/tv's/audio/bling, top dollar expensive parts are all part of it. The reason vip is soo expensive is because knockoff parts have no part in it. And it even goes so far that u will get banned for selling knockoffs on vip forums.

With the whole wheel fitment/tire thing. I didnt really understand how it all goes hand and hand. i dont really like the idea of a outrageous stretched tire on a sports car. but on a big sedan, or a vip styled car i think its almost neccesary. in order to achieve a certain stance/ride height and look of a car. Its almost a must to run a stretch to fit on a stock bodied car. Its been done for years overseas in europe/australia for certification purposes.

I myself am in a position where i will have to run a slight stretch on my set of wheels to fit them...245 on a 10.5:D

m3dic8d
11-08-2009, 04:29 PM
pillows/tassles/fusas are all part of the Vip culture. The fuga and the other ornaments have meaning of good luck/fortune. And have a religious meaning to them. The tray tables/trays/curtains show a certain class luxury. So all that has a theme with it. the point of Vip is luxury.. fur seats/swavorski crystals/leather/tv's/audio/bling, top dollar expensive parts are all part of it. The reason vip is soo expensive is because knockoff parts have no part in it. And it even goes so far that u will get banned for selling knockoffs on vip forums.

With the whole wheel fitment/tire thing. I didnt really understand how it all goes hand and hand. i dont really like the idea of a outrageous stretched tire on a sports car. but on a big sedan, or a vip styled car i think its almost neccesary. in order to achieve a certain stance/ride height and look of a car. Its almost a must to run a stretch to fit on a stock bodied car. Its been done for years overseas in europe/australia for certification purposes.

I myself am in a position where i will have to run a slight stretch on my set of wheels to fit them...245 on a 10.5:D
I like the VIP styling. I can respect any styling on a car that the whole point of it is not doing it half-assed, regardless of what trend it follows.

JITB
11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I like the VIP styling. I can respect any styling on a car that the whole point of it is not doing it half-assed, regardless of what trend it follows.

vip to me is far from a trend, its a whole style, its been around for years and years. And has high expensive standards. I really have learned alot about wheel fitting/offset etc. from trying to put my car together. But its really open to do whatever you want..as long as you use quality parts..

YoshiFD3S
11-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Tucked look + skinny tire on wide rim = Why?

Wide rims should have wide tires.

When I eventually get my ass some sexy 19X9.5's or 19X10's for the rear, I'll be running a 285 or 295.

I'll tell you what, come out here to southern San Diego with that tucked and flush BS and see how many times you scrape the F*CK out of your sh*t because of the sh*tty roads out here.

JITB
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
san diego is home to some of the flushest rides.under hawaii. you pay to play...tires deflate. rims bend, u scrape hard.. it happens. you pay to play. you won't believe how many tires/bumpers/front lips/mufflers. that get ripped off. you ride low u break shit...you ride fast you break shit.

m3dic8d
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Tucked look + skinny tire on wide rim = Why?

Wide rims should have wide tires.

When I eventually get my ass some sexy 19X9.5's or 19X10's for the rear, I'll be running a 285 or 295.

I'll tell you what, come out here to southern San Diego with that tucked and flush BS and see how many times you scrape the F*CK out of your sh*t because of the sh*tty roads out here.
I ride 305's on the back :D

GGPIS3
11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
damn.. i wish i could fit 305s lol