PDA

View Full Version : Misc Beginner acoustic guitar

JTM
09-29-2009, 12:52 AM
well well well i want to learn to play acoustic guitar. found some very useful videos on youtube. now, i need a guitar..so i was wondering, should i get a cheap one from walmart, learn to play, and then upgrade to a better one. and like what are the good brands of guitar? anything would be helpful, no negative feedbacks...:cheers:

THEONE
09-29-2009, 07:53 AM
i would say stay away from the cheap ones, get one in the middle. if you goto guitar center and try a few different im sure you will find one that is comfortable. thats the biggest thing is comfort,if you just get any old guitar cause its cheap it may not be comfortable and it will kinda make you not wanna learn anything.

and those cheap ones need to retuned after 3 minutes of playing and they are really big on warping and sounding like crap.

when you go out lookin for 1 if you go to a music shop dont buy one just becuase its a good price and comes with alot of stuff to get you started like those strat pack deals,thats how they dress up a crappy guitar and sell it to someone who will just give up cause the guitar sucks haha.. go for comfort. i have a washburn dx2000 its168 of600 made just for mars music and i love it :D good luck in your search and when you get one you tube has a ton of free lessons that are pretty good...

uproot
09-29-2009, 08:12 AM
At most music stores I believe they also sell used equipment. If your budget is tight, that might be a way to get a little better guitar for the money. Just talk to the sales people and see what they recommend. I would hope they wouldn't rip you off.

And like he said ^ don't get a crappy guitar.

TSiFTW
09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Get a decent guitar to learn on, period. You get a cheap guitar and it will frustrate you and you will put it down and never learn. I recommend a middle of the road Takamini. You can get one for 300-400 or so and you will technically never have to get another. They are good enough to play on stage. That is just my opinion and I am partial to Taks.

Jecht
09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and ask the people in the store. That way you can find a guitar that will suit you and fit in whatever price range you have.

Killer
09-29-2009, 10:53 AM
You don't have to go out and buy the best guitar made... BUT stear clear from walmart cheapo's...

I've been playing an acoustic for over ten years (my skills don't show that of course lol) and i've had some inexpensive guitars that sounded great.. anywhere from 150-200...

i'm now rocking a yamaha thats a little over 600...

hit up guitar world or a kenstanton.. find a good brand, yamaha/ibanez/epiphone.. (which is really a gibson)... they all are great guitars and you can find some on the lower end of the price spectrum...

man
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Ya stay away from the cheap ones. If you're serious about it though, you might as well get a nice one. As long as you take care of it it will last for years and years.

HypnoToad
09-29-2009, 01:49 PM
u can find a nice starter for round $200,also check CL and stuff...might find some nice deals going used.

i went straight to electric,wish would have started with acoustic though.

im really a fan of yamaha acoustics though.

THEONE
09-29-2009, 03:48 PM
also when you get your guitar make sure you start with soft strings cause your fingers are gonna a hurt a little. and get a good guitar tuner i still am not able to tune mine by ear.

JTM
10-03-2009, 01:15 AM
thanks guys, i'll see what i can do

ekcivic1991
10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
just make sure the strings arent 5 inches off the fret board like most cheap guitars, it will be a bitch when you learn bar chords. And yeah man you can find some good how to's on youtube

deathrex
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Mmm guitar center will hook you up with a guitar that fits your needs and your price range. I'm currently playing on a Taylor and a gibson for acoustics and a fender as a practice take everywhere acoustic. I also have a Fender jazz bass and A fender statrocaster, telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul for electrics. Fenders are good starters IMO. But your paying for the name more than anything.

THEONE
10-05-2009, 09:09 PM
just make sure the strings arent 5 inches off the fret board like most cheap guitars, it will be a bitch when you learn bar chords. And yeah man you can find some good how to's on youtube

great advice, most cheap guitars are made like this and bar chords are must,i still struggle with them not thier shape but changing between them,that and damn muting when im trying to play that funk haha.... ha!

get one that is easy on the fingers or you will hate it..

ekcivic1991
10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
yeah man and learn on an acoustic then when you get a electric you will jam.

THEONE
10-05-2009, 11:42 PM
pawn mart off scenic hwy and grayson hwy has my bc rich trace and line 6 amp i lost it there for 100.00 i paid almost 500.00 go there and talk them into a deal. that guitar is bad assssssed!!! if they bs you let me know i will go there with the pawn ticket and score you a deal,i miss that guitar!!

thinkskater
10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
boo. make it really hard for yourself and buy a electric and a bigass amp. lol.

it is fun. learn scales 2. most importantly learn to read music the earlier the better.

metal ftw.

browningboy7
10-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Like a few others said, Cheap = no no. I've had a 12string Yamaha Acoustic for over 10 years and absolutely love it. But I also have 3 electric guitars, Don't limit yourself to just one thing. =)

5speed
10-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Jasmine by Takamine is pretty good and affordable. Ibanez acoustics are pretty good for the price too. Laminate tops are something you should stay away from. This way if you suck at it and cant get a hang of it then you can sell it and get a good amount of money out of it.