PDA

View Full Version : how to build a hatch for autocross

joesblk_teg
10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
im thinking about getting a hatch and do a swap in it i know i'll be running in street mod because of the swap but how would you guys build the car, like what type of engine (jdm h22, b18, ect..) and what type of suspension (coil overs, or springs and struts). turbo it or supercharge it or leave it NA some ideas would be appreciated thanks

ash7
10-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I also am a big fan of auto-x... I started with a stock B18B in my EG and went from there. For a novice driver, I would suggest an all motor, or a very small turbo setup. Peak horsepower isn't nearly as important as a smooth powerband and handling in this racing event (compared to drag or circuit racing) as the straights are very short and the corners are very tight. My friend has a Vortec supercharged S2000 that he tries to run in these events - needless to say he gets horrible times due to the fact he's a little too heavy on the throttle thus turning his auto-x run into a drift event.

I currently have a built LSvtec with a LS tranny, Hayame coilovers, Yokohama RT-615 tires and more chassis braces than you can shake a stick at. I chose the LS transmission because i can hold second gear for the entirity of my run. (all the way up until 60mph).

Trey
10-14-2005, 01:42 PM
H22a sucks, I'd leave the D motor in the car and just focus on suspension and learning how to drive better.

No need for a swap to go fast.

Example: Dood that auto-x's has the OEM D motor in his 91 Civic and kicks 90% of everyone's ass.

joesblk_teg
10-15-2005, 04:05 PM
well i also want for it to be a street car so i want a swap so on that note which engine should i get

yeaiwonder88
10-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey man i have a hatch already setup lmk

1 SICK GT
10-16-2005, 10:21 AM
h22 will make the car nose heavy, i would go with a b18

maybe a ls/ v-tech

Trey
10-16-2005, 04:58 PM
K20 is all the rage these days. :P

dwnsthGABOY
10-17-2005, 12:51 AM
K20 is all the rage these days. :P

exactly, but those bitches are like 6k and about 2k to get it installed the "right" way. wink wink! LOL!!!

joesblk_teg
10-17-2005, 06:31 PM
how much are b18s running for i know h22 are like 2800 plus a g for install

speedminded
10-24-2005, 07:54 PM
how much are b18s running for i know h22 are like 2800 plus a g for installnaww, H22's all day long installed for less than that. The entire swap runs about $1,800 plus labor. The weight differance is minimal and the torque would be good to have for the tight & flat curves and short straights. AFTER learning control & braking, suspension is your MAIN concern....then taking off as much weight as possible & keeping/making the body as rigid as you can.

If you got the time, money, & patience i'd love to see someone put the h22 in the back of hatch, preferably turbo :D

dazn
10-30-2005, 11:33 AM
i would just go for a b16 swap

should really concentrate on suspension. Not just buying some good adjustable parts but actually setting it up.
toe,camber,caster,dampers (compresson and rebound), weight balance, tire pressures, anti-roll bars are all very important and critical to dialing in a good time.

If i were you, i would buy the suspension and wheel and tires first, spend a lot of time and research in setting up your car and getting just a little bit faster each time. Then, do a swap

Goinfasterthanu
10-31-2005, 10:03 AM
To all who say h22 sux or itll make it to heavy....The h22 setup is only 50-60 pounds more. The power is wayyyyyyy better than any b16. The b16 will NEVER have balls a h22 has. I have done LOTS of mtn runs with my h22 hatch. In all areas it WALKS all over my old 97 lude . My lude had MUCH more done to it than my hatch. I have a friend with a ctr swap and i can kill the car in EVERY area. The speed comming out of good corner with lsd is crazy. Also the h22 trans goes to 60 in 2nd and 100 in 3rd..!

My setup...
falken azenis rt-615s
hx wheels{11 pounds}
omni power race fullcoilovers
front strutbar
h22w/lsd

I have hung with c-5s ,miatas ...ect in the mtns

Goinfasterthanu
10-31-2005, 10:04 AM
i would just go for a b16 swap

should really concentrate on suspension. Not just buying some good adjustable parts but actually setting it up.
toe,camber,caster,dampers (compresson and rebound), weight balance, tire pressures, anti-roll bars are all very important and critical to dialing in a good time.

If i were you, i would buy the suspension and wheel and tires first, spend a lot of time and research in setting up your car and getting just a little bit faster each time. Then, do a swap

He is right ..... other than the b16 unless you have never had a "fast" car ,then yea learn on the b16

dazn
10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
He is right ..... other than the b16 unless you have never had a "fast" car ,then yea learn on the b16

well thats the thing about autocross you dont need tons of power and especially if your car isnt set up, youll just spin tires, understeer, and such.
hell look at miatas and the elise
If he was going for circuit racing then go for the h22, but autocross cars should be nimble and easily change directions. not saying a h22 wouldnt hurt, but the b16 is the easy, cheap way to go. but like you said, its not much heavier, so really its just whatever he can find or afford i guess.

but since he will prolly want to play a little on the street, then go h22

i4_garage
11-01-2005, 10:21 PM
i would definitely go for a B16 swap...or a B18....H's and K's stands for $ and $$...i use to had an EG hatch with a B16 that i swap in for less than 2000$.....so its all in how u make ur contacts and choices..good luck tho

IntegraXTR
11-04-2005, 06:10 PM
If you got $$$ then go with suspension, now if you have $$$$$$ then go buy a set of TEINs with the electronic controlled dampers.

Miranda
11-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Lemme ask you a couple questions:

First, why do you want the car to be in SM? Is this a daily driven fun car that you want to take out to autocross every once in a while, or are you trying to get serious about solo2?

Second, how competitive do you want to be? Civics are kicking major ass in STS (a street tires, limited mods class). It would take a pretty big chunk of change to get the car really competitive in SM. Not undoable, but expensive.

Finally, how much experience do you have? Trey's absolutely right when he says fix up the driver before fixing up the car. The best drivers can stomp the hell out of most others even when in far less prepped cars. Even if you are a seasoned veteran, I would really suggest spending a few hundred and going to a couple Evolution schools (http://www.autocross.com). Speaking from personal experience, those schools are monumental. I have Sam Strano (my Phase 1 instructor) partially to thank for my transition from a mediocre driver to a Nationals contender. They're worth every cent.

So far as suspension goes, I would say it totally depends on the level of involvement in autocross you're going for. I wouldn't turn a daily driver into an uncomfortable comuter just to go to a local event every third month. But, if you seriously want to get into it, a good set of coilovers is a handy thing to have. Go to the Honda Tech motorsports/road race forums for info on the best suspension setups. There are some serious race kaa drivers there from grassroots to pro, so you will find some good info.

Hope this helps:

~ Miranda (ex autocrosser)

IntegraXTR
11-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Lemme ask you a couple questions:

First, why do you want the car to be in SM? Is this a daily driven fun car that you want to take out to autocross every once in a while, or are you trying to get serious about solo2?

Second, how competitive do you want to be? Civics are kicking major ass in STS (a street tires, limited mods class). It would take a pretty big chunk of change to get the car really competitive in SM. Not undoable, but expensive.

Finally, how much experience do you have? Trey's absolutely right when he says fix up the driver before fixing up the car. The best drivers can stomp the hell out of most others even when in far less prepped cars. Even if you are a seasoned veteran, I would really suggest spending a few hundred and going to a couple Evolution schools (http://www.autocross.com). Speaking from personal experience, those schools are monumental. I have Sam Strano (my Phase 1 instructor) partially to thank for my transition from a mediocre driver to a Nationals contender. They're worth every cent.

So far as suspension goes, I would say it totally depends on the level of involvement in autocross you're going for. I wouldn't turn a daily driver into an uncomfortable comuter just to go to a local event every third month. But, if you seriously want to get into it, a good set of coilovers is a handy thing to have. Go to the Honda Tech motorsports/road race forums for info on the best suspension setups. There are some serious race kaa drivers there from grassroots to pro, so you will find some good info.

Hope this helps:

~ Miranda (ex autocrosser)

well said