PDA

View Full Version : Misc Dog Training...

HalfBaked
09-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm wondering who you guys have used to train your dogs?

I have a pit bull I want to train to fight and need some recommendations where to go.

JK JK. I'm white. I have a cute german shepard/golden retriever puppy who needs training.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs203.snc1/7032_611676618223_23200861_36805611_1280237_n.jpg

FasTech
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Wat kind of training? Like, specific sport training or just simple house training?

I've trained all my dogs simple/basic stuff. I'm also in the process of training my (current) American Bulldog advanced things like, simple attack commands, rope swinging, etc.

HalfBaked
09-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Just to get him so he will be obedient and listen and can walk off a leash and be calm around strangers.

I'm not expecting him to be on ESPN winning the great outdoor games, however they'd be swell.

FasTech
09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Just to get him so he will be obedient and listen and can walk off a leash and be calm around strangers.

I'm not expecting him to be on ESPN winning the great outdoor games, however they'd be swell.

I'll tell you how I've done those things with my dogs, although you might not agree with some of them...

*Obedient and Listen: Just start using simple words like "Good Boy" and "No".

Example:: You just get the dog and he still pee's and poop's on the floor. Take him out every 45-to-1hr as a pup. After he reaches 2-to-3 months, he should know by now that he is not suppose to use it in the house. If he still does... Start sticking his nose in the pee or poop and pop him with alittle force. The tell him NO!!! (I'm not saying beat the dog, just enough for you to let him know you mean business.) Eventually he will learn. And when he starts warning you he needs to go out, let him out and once he does his business... PLay/rub on him and tell him good boy.

Example #2:: He chews up your favorite pair of running shoes. Put him and the shoe(s) in a room and keep a check on him. If you come back and he is chewing on them again, Pop him. Keep repeating the steps until he has learned not to chew on them. And each time he does this, gradually make the pop's harder. I know it sounds alittle mean, but this same thing happened to me and eventually he stopped fooling with them. Not once to this day has he chewed ANYTHING else.

For a dog to be Obedient and Listen, it all depends on how much time you spend with him and effort on correcting/punishing him for his mistakes. At first it feels like a never ending process but after alittle time they catch the hint and start being respectful and Obedient. If you use the simple word commands at first, they'll learn how to listen. Then after they have got the basic word commands down.. You can start more advanced word commands like, sit, stay, jump, etc. (Thats a whole different ball park.. get the basic's down then worry about that)

As for the being calm around strangers... I can't help you to much in that department. All of my dogs have been trained to not allow strangers to get around me or my family/home. Now, I can walk my dog in public on a leash and him not get aggresive unless someone tries to hurt me or something.

Walking off of a leash I do not do to often. Just for saftey reasons and stuff. I know he wouldn't run away because he is already Obedient and Listens to me. Which, your dog will to after time. Sometimes I'll let him loose in the park but if he gets to far away, I'll call him in an aggresive tone. (After the above has been learned, he'll know to come. If he doesn't.. you have not been aggresive enough.) If you do have this happen and have to chase your dog down, when you catch him... beat the shit out of him and repeatdily tell him NO!!! I SAID COME HERE!!!. Make that tail pop between the back legs and him laying on the ground. My dog is alot more tough/bigger than yours, so I have to use a great deal of force. I DO NOT beat my dogs, but I do use some force.

Just remember to be firm and aggresive. And believe me, they'll try the whole puppy dog face stuff but just ignore it. And never feed dogs table food. Although, it makes sense not to waste food, but it will get them thinking they can just at any time eat whatever as they please.

Jaimecbr900
09-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Man's Best Friend. They have one out near you. My Sheppard went there and has gone through both obedience and personal protection training. Next step is AOC. They did a great job with mine. :goodjob:

punkr6
09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
cute dog....

WTF?
09-29-2009, 02:34 PM
i did the petsmart classes, worked out pretty good

ZenMotors
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm wondering who you guys have used to train your dogs?

I have a pit bull I want to train to fight and need some recommendations where to go.

JK JK. I'm white. I have a cute german shepard/golden retriever puppy who needs training.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs203.snc1/7032_611676618223_23200861_36805611_1280237_n.jpg

Matt,

I'm picking up my German Shepherd from GA K9 tonight. She has been there for 2 weeks. Their facility is in Canton GA. They are the real deal. Here is their contact info. http://gak9.com/

Give them a call. Maybe they can get you taken care of.

nsany(atl)
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.k-9coach.com/

voted best in ATL. where I took 2 of my puppies