PDA

View Full Version : timing belt snaped

hadouken
09-28-2009, 01:24 PM
the timing belt snapped on my sisters prelude and i was wondering what are the chances of the head actually being warped..

its the f22a1

sometime last week my in law was driving to work and the belt snapped and the car just stopped and he had to pull over..he said he didnt hear any wierd noises just a snap.

thx for any help!

eYezs1ck
09-28-2009, 01:53 PM
you have a better chance of being warp. it happened to me on my gsr engine was fine after i replace the belt. what all did you do as soon as it snapped?

hadouken
09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
he pulled over immediately and tried to crank it again.. but nothing we towed the car home and noticed the belt had snapped

NoPainT
09-28-2009, 02:22 PM
that's where you messed up.. You should not have tried to crank it up. I'm pretty sure you have bent valves now. Just take it to a machine shop and have it checked, decked, cleaned and new valves and guides.

Black4DrEK
09-28-2009, 02:51 PM
^^Yep

I would just get the head checked out before replacing the belt again.. to be on the safe side..

FasTech
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Yep... I believe that motor is an interference motor and when you tried to crank it back up your fucked the valves.

im_hung
09-28-2009, 03:03 PM
you can put everything in tdc, replace the belt. then do a compression/leakdown test to check the valves.

green91
09-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Dont even bother putting a belt on and trying, just look with the VC off if the valves are coming all the way back up. Usually if they are bent a few will sit lower (spring will be more compressed). BTW snapping a belt doesn't warp your head, it bends valves.

tdurr
09-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Dont even bother putting a belt on and trying, just look with the VC off if the valves are coming all the way back up. Usually if they are bent a few will sit lower (spring will be more compressed). BTW snapping a belt doesn't warp your head, it bends valves.

ding ding. Listen to this man. Pull the VC and look for valves sitting at different heights.

RBS
09-28-2009, 03:12 PM

werd

NoPainT
09-28-2009, 03:16 PM
I Guarantee you have some bent valves. I've never seen an interference motor not bend a valve after something like this.

Black4DrEK
09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Exactly but you cant allways judge that by eye.. just get the head check for all that!

Black4DrEK
09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
it doesnt cost much to get it looked at

RBS
09-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Exactly but you cant allways judge that by eye.. just get the head check for all that!

i duno.... odds are there are bent valves :ninja:

98% of all the engines ive seen go bad with timing always have bent valves.

NoPainT
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM

That's why I say take it to a shop... It's not hard to take the head off.

Black4DrEK
09-28-2009, 03:51 PM
x2^ I got me head check for low cost.. made sure EVERYTHING is correct 100% ... Just do it.. you will be hurt in the long run if you dont..

Barefoot
09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
the timing belt snapped on my sisters prelude and i was wondering what are the chances of the head actually being warped..

its the f22a1

sometime last week my in law was driving to work and the belt snapped and the car just stopped and he had to pull over..he said he didnt hear any wierd noises just a snap.

thx for any help!

that's where you messed up.. You should not have tried to crank it up. I'm pretty sure you have bent valves now. Just take it to a machine shop and have it checked, decked, cleaned and new valves and guides.damage was done the second the belt snapped

Yep... I believe that motor is an interference motor and when you tried to crank it back up your fucked the valves.:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

you can put everything in tdc, replace the belt. then do a compression/leakdown test to check the valves.pointless to do explained here

I Guarantee you have some bent valves. I've never seen an interference motor not bend a valve after something like this.

Dont even bother putting a belt on and trying, just look with the VC off if the valves are coming all the way back up. Usually if they are bent a few will sit lower (spring will be more compressed). BTW snapping a belt doesn't warp your head, it bends valves.it wont work all the time but will if they are bent enough.

ding ding. Listen to this man. Pull the VC and look for valves sitting at different heights.

Exactly but you cant allways judge that by eye.. just get the head check for all that!:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

it doesnt cost much to get it looked at:goodjob:

i duno.... odds are there are bent valves :ninja:

98% of all the engines ive seen go bad with timing always have bent valves.more like 100% :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

That's why I say take it to a shop... It's not hard to take the head off.:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

hondaxpurt
09-28-2009, 06:06 PM
yeah, valves are done. thats why its easier to spend ~500 bucks to replace the belt BEFORE it snaps...

SUBY_RUE
09-28-2009, 06:17 PM

Correct, If you take the valve cover off and look, you will be able to tell real easy if the valves are bent....

hadouken
09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
yeah, valves are done. thats why its easier to spend ~500 bucks to replace the belt BEFORE it snaps...

lol ur trying to act like its my car..hehe
its my sisters.. i dont pay attention to their stuff they need to take care of it im just trying to help family out

thx everyone for help

hondaxpurt
09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
sisters lol i wasnt trying to be an ass, just the reality of the situation

whatever210
09-28-2009, 06:40 PM
TO ALL THOSE THAT THINK ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO BREAK A TIMING BELT AND NOT BEND VALVES THEN READ MY SHIT

you might get lucky tho like i did. i was driving and mine snapped on my h22 accord. luckily i wasnt driving fast. like 45mph. i pulled over and tried starting it numerous times. i even tried push starting it and that didnt work. then i took my valve cover off on the side of road and found no timing belt. well i towed it home and before i went out and spent tons of money on valves or new pistons if i had chipped those. i put a new timing belt on and did a compression test. turned out everything was fine. 225 across the board. so it was a easy fix for me. hope everything turnes out good for you man.

Barefoot
09-28-2009, 06:55 PM
TO ALL THOSE THAT THINK ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO BREAK A TIMING BELT AND NOT BEND VALVES THEN READ MY SHIT

you might get lucky tho like i did. i was driving and mine snapped on my h22 accord. luckily i wasnt driving fast. like 45mph. i pulled over and tried starting it numerous times. i even tried push starting it and that didnt work. then i took my valve cover off on the side of road and found no timing belt. well i towed it home and before i went out and spent tons of money on valves or new pistons if i had chipped those. i put a new timing belt on and did a compression test. turned out everything was fine. 225 across the board. so it was a easy fix for me. hope everything turnes out good for you man.1 luck story vs. the 100s over the last 10 years ive done wouldnt change my mind at all. ill stick with what i know for a fact.

Black4DrEK
09-28-2009, 06:58 PM
:no:

whatever210
09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
1 luck story vs. the 100s over the last 10 years ive done wouldnt change my mind at all. ill stick with what i know for a fact.
you can call it luck i guess but i call it........well luck i guess so what.

Barefoot
09-28-2009, 07:57 PM
you can call it luck i guess but i call it........well luck i guess so what.luck :goodjob:

h22 jones
09-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Well i could give you as many lucky stories as you want its more like a thirty seventy chance that there bent . I have replaced several that have broke and had great luck and ive had bad luck but being as it was your sister driving you may be ok. i wouldnt worry wbout spinning the motor over trying to start it ive heard a battery doesnt have enough power to bend a valve not sure how true that is but ive heard it alot. i would pull the valve cover off lay a strait edge acroos the valves if one dont touch its bent simple as that or do a leak down test . I have done five h22s and they have been fine . There is another member on here his car was one of them and its still running fine so im not just shooting you a line of crap. You have to put a timing belt on it anyway so put it on if it runs fine then your good if it skips pulll the head off and get a USED head and put it on . I have about four laying around. It cost to much to get valves put in one and you dont want to beat the bottom end out of your motor so just put a used one on it.

whatever210
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
i would put a timing belt on and do a compression test. but thats just me

CB7tuner
09-28-2009, 08:39 PM

you might get lucky tho like i did. i was driving and mine snapped on my h22 accord. luckily i wasnt driving fast. like 45mph. i pulled over and tried starting it numerous times. i even tried push starting it and that didnt work. then i took my valve cover off on the side of road and found no timing belt. well i towed it home and before i went out and spent tons of money on valves or new pistons if i had chipped those. i put a new timing belt on and did a compression test. turned out everything was fine. 225 across the board. so it was a easy fix for me. hope everything turnes out good for you man.

True story..... I was there, timing belts arent hard at all to install especially on a single cam F series. that being said, if it was me i would just put another timing belt on it and see if everythings ok. If its not then your out maybe half a days work and $50 for a timing belt

whatever210
09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
True story..... I was there, timing belts arent hard at all to install especially on a single cam F series. that being said, if it was me i would just put another timing belt on it and see if everythings ok. If its not then your out maybe half a days work and $50 for a timing belt
out half a day of work yes but not a timing belt since he will need one anyways :goodjob: but thanks for coming in and clearing that up for me

CB7tuner
09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
out half a day of work yes but not a timing belt since he will need one anyways :goodjob: but thanks for coming in and clearing that up for me

and if it were me and I installed a new timing belt and found out the head was fucked, then i would just scrap the motor instead of paying for headwork that will probobly amount to more money than a replacement motor from a junkyard would

whatever210
09-28-2009, 08:47 PM
and if it were me and I installed a new timing belt and found out the head was fucked, then i would just scrap the motor instead of paying for headwork that will probobly amount to more money than a replacement motor from a junkyard would
but then he could take the time and replace the timing belt from the junk yard so this shit wont happen agian.....jager bombs!

Barefoot
09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
True story..... I was there, timing belts arent hard at all to install especially on a single cam F series. that being said, if it was me i would just put another timing belt on it and see if everythings ok. If its not then your out maybe half a days work and $50 for a timing beltlol yall are missing this fact he isnt doing the work himself. if a shop put the belt on just to find out whats going on with the head he has to pay for the R&R plus parts. an if it turns out to be bad now he has to pay to do it all over again plus pull the head. me personally id just pull the cam do a comp test call it a day. just remember your looking for any compression not max compression. 30-45 minutes tops on labor vs. 4.2 for belt then another 7.8 for r&r of the head. now thats alot of money and time for a simple diag.

CB7tuner
09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
.....jager bombs!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/Jagdengel/Jagerbombs.jpg
??????

Barefoot
09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/Jagdengel/Jagerbombs.jpg
??????
take it to the WL.

MidLifeCrisis
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Well i could give you as many lucky stories as you want its more like a thirty seventy chance that there bent . I have replaced several that have broke and had great luck and ive had bad luck but being as it was your sister driving you may be ok. i wouldnt worry wbout spinning the motor over trying to start it ive heard a battery doesnt have enough power to bend a valve not sure how true that is but ive heard it alot. i would pull the valve cover off lay a strait edge acroos the valves if one dont touch its bent simple as that or do a leak down test . I have done five h22s and they have been fine . There is another member on here his car was one of them and its still running fine so im not just shooting you a line of crap. You have to put a timing belt on it anyway so put it on if it runs fine then your good if it skips pulll the head off and get a USED head and put it on . I have about four laying around. It cost to much to get valves put in one and you dont want to beat the bottom end out of your motor so just put a used one on it.

amen.. ive seen plenty of broken timing belts.. B18 non vtecs, F22as, f22bs, even 3.2 CL motors and TL motors that have broken the timing belt, put on a new belt and voila, perfect compression across the board.. ive seen way more not bend valves than ive seen with bent valves.

hadouken
09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
well im doing the timing on it its not too bad i havent had time to work on it ive been busy the past few days this shouldnt be a hard job im going to take the head to a shop and check it out just in case then start from there thx guys!

Black4DrEK
09-28-2009, 10:37 PM
:goodjob:

whatever210
09-28-2009, 10:42 PM
well im doing the timing on it its not too bad i havent had time to work on it ive been busy the past few days this shouldnt be a hard job im going to take the head to a shop and check it out just in case then start from there thx guys!
dude if you can take the head off then just put a new belt on it do a compression test once you get the belt one. it will take 5 min to do the test rather than take the head off and their be nothing wrong with it. your gunna have to do a lot more work pulling the head then you are just going to autozone a put a 23 dollar belt on. matter of fact i have a single cam belt you can have to test it if you want it come get it.

MidLifeCrisis
09-28-2009, 11:12 PM
dude if you can take the head off then just put a new belt on it do a compression test once you get the belt one. it will take 5 min to do the test rather than take the head off and their be nothing wrong with it. your gunna have to do a lot more work pulling the head then you are just going to autozone a put a 23 dollar belt on. matter of fact i have a single cam belt you can have to test it if you want it come get it.

x2. dont waste time taking the head off just yet.. you have to take the timing covers off anyway right? so break it down, temporarily slap a belt on there and check the compression.. save yourself some time..

TommyD1919
10-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I have to agree, I would buy a belt (have to anyways) put it on and do a comp. test.. This should only take a few hours at most.. Look at it this way, if this fixes it you will be a hero in your family...

Barefoot
10-02-2009, 01:42 PM
just did another 1 today bent valves on 1 and 3. pull the rocker arm assembly out. pull all plugs comp test from there. 30 minutes tops. an will tell u everything u need to know. no point breaking everything down to find out your fuck out of a head and now time.

TommyD1919
10-02-2009, 06:53 PM
the force is strong with this one.

And yep that will work too...

hadouken
10-21-2009, 10:02 AM
head wasnt warped yey!
car is fixed and running now!

masonhenson
10-21-2009, 10:29 AM
dang sucks man

B18c1Turboed
10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Ive broke a belt on my LS. I replaced the belt and did a leakdown test, everything came out fine.