PDA

View Full Version : For anyone that drives big trucks

stillaneon
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Do you guys not have some sort of law that says to pull over when you shred a tire?

2 times in the last month and a half, I have been behind a semi that blew a tire, and they just keep going down the road trying to get to the next exit while they are spitting pieces of hard rubber out form under the trailor. What gives?

Justin.
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Nope, that's the reason for double tires, blow one, got another one to ride on until you can safely pull over and have a service truck replace your tire.

oneSLOWex
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
if they wouldn't let them ride around on recaps or w/e its called we wouldnt have this problem at all

Greddypacked
09-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Believe it or not he might not have known he lost a tire. Those trucks are so big and loud, when the one went out he might not have noticed it. I rode in a semi we pulled over at a truck stop checked the tires and one of them was totally out of air. Got it serviced at that stop.

Blitanicle99
09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Negative Ghost Rider.

Greddypacked
09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Negative Ghost Rider.

:thinking: wtf does that mean lol.

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Nope, that's the reason for double tires, blow one, got another one to ride on until you can safely pull over and have a service truck replace your tire.

Completely wrong (unless you were being sarcastic). Now let someone that drives semi-trucks for a living answer the question.

Yes. You are supposed to pull over at the very first safe spot you can. Put your hazard lights on and post the flags out behind (and maybe ahead) of the truck and call for help. Having dual tires on the axles is NOT there for that reason at all, nor do you ride on the one tire left after the other blows out. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Believe it or not he might not have known he lost a tire. Those trucks are so big and loud, when the one went out he might not have noticed it. I rode in a semi we pulled over at a truck stop checked the tires and one of them was totally out of air. Got it serviced at that stop.

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. I'll be driving for hours and never know I have a flat until I get to my destination (or when I stop). If people don't tell me and I don't hear/see it, I'll never know. Later, QD.

Greddypacked
09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. I'll be driving for hours and never know I have a flat until I get to my destination (or when I stop). If people don't tell me and I don't hear/see it, I'll never know. Later, QD.

True lol... I know I used to drive 48 states/east region and would check my tires after everytime I stopped. One time I had to get a service truck to come out to a warehouse cuz I was pulling a fully loaded 45k lb trailer and it was sitting on sh!t shredded tires. I go BS im not about to drive a full loaded trailer on sh!t tires out of here and tip over down the highway and kill myself or anyone else. Had to wait an extra 7-8 hours to get going, cuz the dang Peterbilt semi's suck w/ power and have electrical problems alot. Needed to get new tires, wait for hours regain on time sheet, and get battery jumped. Sucked.

NEMO
09-28-2009, 12:01 PM
QD are you a owner oper. or do you drive for a fleet?

NEMO
09-28-2009, 12:06 PM
True lol... I know I used to drive 48 states/east region and would check my tires after everytime I stopped. One time I had to get a service truck to come out to a warehouse cuz I was pulling a fully loaded 45k lb trailer and it was sitting on sh!t shredded tires. I go BS im not about to drive a full loaded trailer on sh!t tires out of here and tip over down the highway and kill myself or anyone else. Had to wait an extra 7-8 hours to get going, cuz the dang Peterbilt semi's suck w/ power and have electrical problems alot. Needed to get new tires, wait for hours regain on time sheet, and get battery jumped. Sucked.
i am a warranty admin at Nalley and we dont see that many peterbilts with elec problems. now a international is another story

Greddypacked
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
i am a warranty admin at Nalley and we dont see that many peterbilts with elec problems. now a international is another story

LOL when I took the Peterbilt in to Nalley they go. Oh their are always electrical problems w/ these trucks. This was a few years ago though, I dont drive semi's anymore went to another profession.

NEMO
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
LOL when I took the Peterbilt in to Nalley they go. Oh their are always electrical problems w/ these trucks. This was a few years ago though, I dont drive semi's anymore went to another profession.
haha. which shop did you take it to?

Greddypacked
09-28-2009, 12:15 PM
haha. which shop did you take it to?

LOL, they sent me to one off of 285 near Moreland Ave. I liked driving the Peterbilt shortnose, it was shiny red and nice looking. Really I would have liked driving that one for awhile, but they put me in a Classic afterwards which are nice also.

NEMO
09-28-2009, 12:19 PM
LOL, they sent me to one off of 285 near Moreland Ave. I liked driving the Peterbilt shortnose, it was shiny red and nice looking. Really I would have liked driving that one for awhile, but they put me in a Classic afterwards which are nice also.
lol i dont know why they told you that. peterbilt is one of the better made trucks.

Greddypacked
09-28-2009, 12:21 PM
lol i dont know why they told you that. peterbilt is one of the better made trucks.

Yes I agree, I drove the Long nose and short nose one's. Very nice to drive.

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
QD are you a owner oper. or do you drive for a fleet?

I drive for a company.

We have 4 International TranStar day cabs on our account and I hate every single one of them. Daily, we have to change the bulbs in the tail lights. There is always something going on with them due to faulty electrics. They have the super single tires and I can't stand those at all.

I was ecstatic when they pulled me out of one and put me back in a Freightliner day cab. Later, QD.

NEMO
09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
We have 4 International TranStar day cabs on our account and I hate every single one of them. Daily, we have to change the bulbs in the tail lights. There is always something going on with them due to faulty electrics. They have the super single tires and I can't stand those at all.

I was ecstatic when they pulled me out of one and put me back in a Freightliner day cab. Later, QD.
Oh yeah we see a lot of internationals with elec. problems

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 12:38 PM
^^^ I don't doubt that. I can't wait to get back behind the wheel. It's boring as hail sitting at home all day. Later, QD.

stillaneon
09-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Well twice I have seen the semi try and get to the next exit. Both times it was more than a mile while I am getting hammered with shredded tire. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using profanity towards the drivers for nothing....

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Well twice I have seen the semi try and get to the next exit. Both times it was more than a mile while I am getting hammered with shredded tire. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using profanity towards the drivers for nothing....

Well about the situation of getting hit by shredding tire. If you're getting hit by tire still shredding off the truck, then that means he's just had his blow out (in most cases). That would not be his fault (again in most cases) as he can't stop the truck on a dime as soon as the tires blows to keep tread from flying. Later, QD.

stillaneon
09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Well about the situation of getting hit by shredding tire. If you're getting hit by tire still shredding off the truck, then that means he's just had his blow out (in most cases). That would not be his fault (again in most cases) as he can't stop the truck on a dime as soon as the tires blows to keep tread from flying. Later, QD.

Well I avoided the tire almost a mile before I approached the truck that had the blow out. and he was just cruising at about 60. It wasn't until a sheriff's deputy pulled him over that he actually got off in the Emergency lane.

The first time it happened, I actually witnessed the blow out, and then followed the truck about 3/4 of a mile to the exit that I happened to be getting off. He got off and made a right and pulled into a parking lot.

Botht times it was a considerable distance and the pelting of rubber seemed to be consitent

Greddypacked
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Well I avoided the tire almost a mile before I approached the truck that had the blow out. and he was just cruising at about 60. It wasn't until a sheriff's deputy pulled him over that he actually got off in the Emergency lane.

The first time it happened, I actually witnessed the blow out, and then followed the truck about 3/4 of a mile to the exit that I happened to be getting off. He got off and made a right and pulled into a parking lot.

Botht times it was a considerable distance and the pelting of rubber seemed to be consitent

If their is a big object in the road and is a hazard you can call a service to notify authorities so they can move it to avoid accidents. I was going to do that driving down 75S near Atlanta at night and swerved missed a metal bumper in the road. Then looked back at the Honda that was following me for awhile, he ran over it im like duh watch where your going lol. Anyways I was going to call H.E.R.O and what not but was already so far and didnt have easy access to my phone im like awww sh!t lol. Usually I will call road services if i see a danger in the road. Called 911 when a car was on fire on 75 and they go is this that car on so and so im like yap, they go oh we know everyone is calling about it lol.

Echonova
09-28-2009, 03:26 PM
My truck has 18 tires for a reason, I don't start replacing them until I'm down to 4 or 5

stillaneon
09-28-2009, 03:31 PM
My truck has 18 tires for a reason, I don't start replacing them until I'm down to 4 or 5

I knew that truck driver looked familiar:2up:

Echonova
09-28-2009, 03:34 PM
LOL, if you ever see a truck driving down the road with what looks to be a huge Moonshine still on the back... It's me.

stillaneon
09-28-2009, 03:43 PM
LOL, if you ever see a truck driving down the road with what looks to be a huge Moonshine still on the back... It's me.

Nah this one has a few hundred cases of depends, a walker, a case of denture cream and you were going 40 in the left lane with your turn signal on for like a mile.

Must have been your other truck.

Didn't mean to rat you out like that.

Echonova
09-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Nah this one has a few hundred cases of depends, a walker, a case of denture cream and you were going 40 in the left lane with your turn signal on for like a mile.

Must have been your other truck.

Didn't mean to rat you out like that.S'ok. I should have known it was you, I saw an ASAP sticker on the Neon.

All Speculation About Performance right?
;)

stillaneon
09-28-2009, 04:09 PM
S'ok. I should have known it was you, I saw an ASAP sticker on the Neon.

All Speculation About Performance right?
;)

Don't be jealous that your double hip replacement doesn't allow you to bend down into cars anymore.

Echonova
09-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Don't be jealous that your double hip replacement doesn't allow you to bend down into cars anymore.Which is why I installed a La Z Boy recliner instead of a Sparco racing seat... You're just jealous I can recline and drive at the same time.

Justin.
09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Completely wrong (unless you were being sarcastic). Now let someone that drives semi-trucks for a living answer the question.

Yes. You are supposed to pull over at the very first safe spot you can. Put your hazard lights on and post the flags out behind (and maybe ahead) of the truck and call for help. Having dual tires on the axles is NOT there for that reason at all, nor do you ride on the one tire left after the other blows out. Later, QD.

Yes I was being sarcastic, I drove a truck for 3 years, supposed to pull over, put your triangles out 10,20, and 100 ft behind the truck (If I remember correctly, been a bit)

and I know about blowing tires, When I first started driving, I would see cars pulling up beside me blowing the horn and pointing at my load, I would look back and see my load (flat bed) and be like wtf it's fine, then I finally figured out they were telling me I had a blown tire.

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes I was being sarcastic, I drove a truck for 3 years,

I was hoping you were. I had to go back and add the parenthesis just to show I wasn't trying to fully bash you. Later, QD.