PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Bought a ps3 at 2am last night.

rehab
09-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm new to the whole ps3 thing, and playstation's difference between gbs. I saw one at walmart last night that said 120gb/go - this is somewhat confusing to me. I didn't really buy it because I'm some hardcore gamer, but more because of it's blu-ray capabilities. Did I fuck up by getting a ps3 with less memory or... did I get the one with more memory? I am also looking into getting back into gaming since in my free-time I normally just stay home with the pregnant wife, and get bored of television and the all mighty internet. So just curious as to what good games are out there now since I've been out of the whole video game thing since I was in middle school. Haha the last game that I really remember playing was Super Smash Brothers.

I enjoy Final Fantasy games and will probably be picking up Versus XIII, and Tekken 6 when they come out. Probably pick up MGS4 too. Any other cool games out there that would be entertaining and challenging?

VQ35 Star
09-26-2009, 05:21 PM
160gb is probably the highest memory capable for a ps3 other than having an external Hard drive hooked up. I have a 80gb and that shit NEVER gets even close to getting full, and I am always getting the $10-$15 games off of the PlayStation Store.

If your gonna be doing some online gaming, please do us ALL a favor and do NOT use the wifi, please plug in an Ethernet cable your internet will run 100x smoother.

For games, it all depends on what types of gaming you like, I see you like FF the new FF is coming out. Tryout Fallout 3 that's a really good RPG/1st person shooter game. and there are a SHIT load of missions and side missions and weapons etc etc to do. If you like shooting games you probably already know you can't go wrong with either call of duty 4 or call of duty: world at war. I prefer world at war. Bio-shock is a really good shooter game with a really really good story line to it. MGS4 is pure epicniss of how a game should be made.

If your ever iffy about buying a game, just go to IGN or any other game review site and check out the game that you are wondering about and read the reviews, they are almost always right.

and try to buy another Dual shock 3 PS3 controller because when one needs recharging you can charge one while the other is in use. because it sucks getting up close to the PS3 and you can't replace batteries.

Try and use HDMI instead of the regular wires, those wires SUCK ASS! (the red/yellow/white ones) You can find a HDMI cable for $10 at Frys, and don't get scammed and get the expensive ass monster cables. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME FUCKING CONNECTION!

IF you have a friend with a PS3 and he has games downloaded onto his account, you can log on to his account on YOUR ps3, go to PSN go to recent downloads and download whatever he downloaded onto YOUR ps3, then log back onto your account and install. I do this with 3 other friends and we each take turns buying games. It saves a lot of money and we only buy multiplayer games, so there is no point in ALL of us buying the same game.

Try to vacuum the vents on the PS3 at least every 3 months. because dust tends to collect in them and you risk getting heat damage. Given that its not as severe as the XBOX360 but its better to be safe than sorry.

Hope that helped out whatever you were wondering about on the ps3.

rehab
09-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Fucking awesome. Thanks a lot man!! Your post really answered my original question. Would changing the original y/w/r wires enhance picture and sound or -- let's say HD status? Sorry for my noobness with this, but Frys... is? As of now I have zero games. My girlfriend decided that she wanted to get LittleBigWorld so she did, and is now playing it lol I'll probably play that till I find something that I want to spend money on.

Paree4g63
09-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the Sony realm my friend. Congratulations on you very first Ps3! You got the slim one, right? 120gbs good enough for you in my opinion unless you are 10x's of a gamer then I am. I only have 80gb but rarely use any memory at all. The Ps3 has everything we all need all in one machine and one price. That is the best bang for the buck for a console system. Plus free online networking:D.

Best games I think are out there I know of would be..
*Metal Gear Solid 4
*Fallout 3
*Gran Turismo 5(coming out soon)
*Street Fighter IV
*Final Fantasy XIII(coming soon)
*Assassins Creed 1&2(never played it but it looks cool)
*Devil May Cry 4(never played but know its good)
*Bioshock 1&2(played a bit and its very interesting)
*Nba2k9
*Resident Evil 5
*GTA IV
*Call of Duty 4(never played but is very popular)
*Deadspace(probably the goriest and scariest game out there for now)
*Guitar Hero(never played but it is very well known)

G/L

Slomaro Z28
09-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Well like stated above, the next FF is gonna release early 2010, you got Call of Duty: MW2 coming out soon........but MGS:4, nuff said.

rehab
09-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks, guys. Hah yeah I cannot wait to get myself a real game.
I am playing LittleBigPlanet right now, and it sucks ass. The little bag-puppet is cute and all, but the game isn't challenging or my type of game.

quickdodgeŽ
09-26-2009, 11:53 PM
You got the HD cable, right, dude? Grab you one of those and you're off into the world of HD. With games and bl-Ray. Also, if you have wireless Net in the house, you can play games with people online for free. As long as they have the same game. Later, QD.

rehab
09-27-2009, 12:59 AM
You got the HD cable, right, dude? Grab you one of those and you're off into the world of HD. With games and bl-Ray. Also, if you have wireless Net in the house, you can play games with people online for free. As long as they have the same game. Later, QD.

Uh, I think I have it. I have an HDMI cable that I don't use, but I am not sure if I can use it or not. The TV that I have is an LG with a krispy screen and two HDMI IN connections so... I can probably use it - right? Am I supposed to leave the w/r/y wires connected to the ps3 and tv or remove 'em and only go with the HDMI cable?

It's pretty fucking late though so I don't expect for anyone to respond lol I'm out anwayways. Too much technology (internet/video games) isn't healthy.

VQ35 Star
09-27-2009, 01:00 AM
yea man, getting the upgraded HDMI cable versus the shitty yellow/red/white ones you got from sony as OEM ones really dont do much. that should be the 1st thing on your list to get, because if not your game play will seem a little below what it should be, taking away from what you could really be playing at. That is if you have a good TV.

LBP is really not that bad, but very repetative.

so what kind of game do you like? first person shooter? RPG? Fighter? Racing?
choose some catagories so we can further help your need in new games. If not we will just start naming random games which is no help or any use if that is not that game play you wish to play.

VQ35 Star
09-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Uh, I think I have it. I have an HDMI cable that I don't use, but I am not sure if I can use it or not. The TV that I have is an LG with a krispy screen and two HDMI IN connections so... I can probably use it - right? Am I supposed to leave the w/r/y wires connected to the ps3 and tv or remove 'em and only go with the HDMI cable?

It's pretty fucking late though so I don't expect for anyone to respond lol I'm out anwayways. Too much technology (internet/video games) isn't healthy.

Hey, yea remove the colored cables when putting HDMI, the HDMI is sound and video so no need for other cables.

rehab
09-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks a lot for your help, Star. I will post up the kinds of games that I enjoy playing tomorrow. Maybe after I learn how to properly use this thing I will start "beating" some of you in some games with the online option lol.

VQ35 Star
09-27-2009, 01:08 AM
haha, yea man whats your PSN username, i'll add you so you can message me if you need any help. and play each other some time. just fuck around with the ps3 and shit and you'll get used to it. dont get overwhelmed with all the shit on there, half the shit you'll never use like the picture albums/videos i never use. dont fuck around with the system settings unless you hooked up the HDMI and you wanna change the screen resolutions like 720 or 1080. whichever your TV can handle just try each.

osiriskidd
09-27-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm new to the whole ps3 thing, and playstation's difference between gbs. I saw one at walmart last night that said 120gb/go - this is somewhat confusing to me. I didn't really buy it because I'm some hardcore gamer, but more because of it's blu-ray capabilities. Did I fuck up by getting a ps3 with less memory or... did I get the one with more memory? I am also looking into getting back into gaming since in my free-time I normally just stay home with the pregnant wife, and get bored of television and the all mighty internet. So just curious as to what good games are out there now since I've been out of the whole video game thing since I was in middle school. Haha the last game that I really remember playing was Super Smash Brothers.

I enjoy Final Fantasy games and will probably be picking up Versus XIII, and Tekken 6 when they come out. Probably pick up MGS4 too. Any other cool games out there that would be entertaining and challenging?

harddrive space isn't a problem, seeing as how you can just pop in a 1 terabyte 2.5" harddrive and copy everything over.

MGS4 is one of my personal faves, along with ninja gaiden and blazblue.
if you want the wife to play something, i recommend little big planet, just about everyone loves that game.

sprix!
09-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey, yea remove the colored cables when putting HDMI, the HDMI is sound and video so no need for other cables.
Actually, with the new patch available, you can have multi sound output. Depending on your setup, it may be advantageous to continue using both sets.
For exampe- I use my RCA output to go to my receiver and supply sound to the surround sound. I use the HDMI to supply both video and sound directly to the TV.

Other than that- it seems like these good people have covered all the bases. Welcome to the land of PS3. I have a 60gig (one of the originals) that is still doing quite well. Never be too concerned with how much memory is on the system out of the box, like someone else stated, you can always add more afterwards.

My own fave games:
Heavenly Sword (PS3 exclusive)
Soul Calibur IV
MGS4 (PS3 exclusive)
Dead Space
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Grid

rehab
09-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Actually, with the new patch available, you can have multi sound output. Depending on your setup, it may be advantageous to continue using both sets.
For exampe- I use my RCA output to go to my receiver and supply sound to the surround sound. I use the HDMI to supply both video and sound directly to the TV.

Yeah I am using the HDMI cable (which did improve the picture) and the original r/w/y wires just because.

MGS4 is one of my personal faves, along with ninja gaiden and blazblue.
if you want the wife to play something, i recommend little big planet, just about everyone loves that game.

I've always enjoyed MGS games since Sons of Liberty so Guns of the Patriots will definitely be in my collection. So will Versus XIII, and Tekken 6. I checked out Assassin Creed 2 and from the looks of it it's just a new version of Prince of Persia - so I will probably be getting my hands of that too. I already have littlebigplanet, but I only play it when my girlfriend needs help lol

haha, yea man whats your PSN username, i'll add you so you can message me if you need any help. and play each other some time. just fuck around with the ps3 and shit and you'll get used to it. dont get overwhelmed with all the shit on there, half the shit you'll never use like the picture albums/videos i never use. dont fuck around with the system settings unless you hooked up the HDMI and you wanna change the screen resolutions like 720 or 1080. whichever your TV can handle just try each.

Once I come up with a cool "psn" username I wll post it up. As of now I don't know what the hell that is haha. Right now I am checking out all the extras and settings, and it isn't all too difficult - so it's only a matter of time before I transform into one of you guys (gamers).

smoknlegend
09-27-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/804017b.jpg

get these, they are concave triggers for the ps3 controller. $5 at Best Buy. If you like racing games these help alot if you use l2/r2 for gas/brake.

I hated racing games on my ps3 without them so id play racing games on my 360, but it has much improved it that im not sure what system i should get games for.

osiriskidd
09-27-2009, 12:59 PM
nfs:shift is actually a really good game from what i hear while working at gamestop.
if someone was interested >.>

bdydrpdmazda
09-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I had an addiction to Resistance: Fall Of Man when I bought the PS3 when it came out. I highly recomend it and its a couple years old so its probably crazy cheap.

Spectic Tank
09-27-2009, 02:43 PM
not sure if its already been said, but in the PS3 slim, you can change out the memory out with memory from a laptop without voiding the warranty. From what I hear, you can get a terabite for around $100

VQ35 Star
09-27-2009, 02:53 PM
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/804017b.jpg

get these, they are concave triggers for the ps3 controller. $5 at Best Buy. If you like racing games these help alot if you use l2/r2 for gas break.

I hated racing games on my ps3 without them so id play racing games on my 360, but it has much improved it that im not sure what system i should get games for.

QFT! and they look OEM they dont look tacky and out of place ether.

sprix!
09-27-2009, 05:22 PM
not sure if its already been said, but in the PS3 slim, you can change out the memory out with memory from a laptop without voiding the warranty. From what I hear, you can get a terabite for around $100

You can do that with any PS3 actually.

ironchef
09-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm kind of worried about GT5. Well more so for my grades next semester. I'm going to be addicted to that shit like I was with GT4 :(.

eViLMunkey
09-27-2009, 08:11 PM
you can always upgrade the HDD if you need to which I doubt w/ a 120gb (the HDD is a 2.5" SATA Drive and will not void your warranty if you swap for a higher capacity drive). I myself have one of the first gen 60GB PS3's and it's still running strong. Also no you cannot upgrade the memory (RAM) I've already asked SONY this and it's not possible.

ironchef
09-27-2009, 08:49 PM
you can always upgrade the HDD if you need to which I doubt w/ a 120gb (the HDD is a 2.5" SATA Drive and will not void your warranty if you swap for a higher capacity drive). I myself have one of the first gen 60GB PS3's and it's still running strong. Also no you cannot upgrade the memory (RAM) I've already asked SONY this and it's not possible.I've got one of the original 60 gigs as well. Remember paying $600 for it, I think. Anyway its been running strong w/ 0 problems for years. However, every single person I know with a 360 has had the RROD lolol.

LeGeNdaRyLeGeNd
09-27-2009, 11:16 PM

connect your hdmi cable to your ps3 and tv.. turn off your ps3 and then hold the power button for about 10 secs until it beeps it will configure to hdmi then set it to the 1080p or whatever setting your tv has, this will change the world from component and other cables. especially watching blu rays. as far as memory i have the 80gb ps3 which i have about 30gb left and i have a ton of music, demos and games on my ps3. just hit me up on there sometime i have little big planet also and a lot of other games.

jiggawin or thaman3

rehab
09-28-2009, 12:28 AM
connect your hdmi cable to your ps3 and tv.. turn off your ps3 and then hold the power button for about 10 secs until it beeps it will configure to hdmi then set it to the 1080p or whatever setting your tv has, this will change the world from component and other cables. especially watching blu rays. as far as memory i have the 80gb ps3 which i have about 30gb left and i have a ton of music, demos and games on my ps3. just hit me up on there sometime i have little big planet also and a lot of other games.

jiggawin or thaman3

Yeah man I will definitely hit you up sometime.
The two names you gave me are your usernames? For example it starts of as User1 but can be altered to... let's say your name? Right?
If so mine is: rehab1

LeGeNdaRyLeGeNd
09-28-2009, 12:31 AM
your user name at the begining is like logging in to a computer user on a computer you can have your name or whoever. someone else can create a user and use the ps3..

but if you go to the far right of the menu when you log in you should be able to add playstation network users. those are both of my names. just send me a friend request.

rehab
09-28-2009, 12:35 AM
your user name at the begining is like logging in to a computer user on a computer you can have your name or whoever. someone else can create a user and use the ps3..

but if you go to the far right of the menu when you log in you should be able to add playstation network users. those are both of my names. just send me a friend request.

no doubt. 'preciate it, man.

DirtyMechanic
09-28-2009, 12:55 AM

jiggawin or thaman3
no need to config it by holding the power button. just plug in the HDMI and turn it on.

also you got jippted ps3 only outputs 60hz so that 120hz or 240hz tv and blue ray you just bought means nothing. youll only see it in 60hz which sucks.

ISAtlanta300
09-28-2009, 12:35 PM
no need to config it by holding the power button. just plug in the HDMI and turn it on..

Actually, if he is changing from using the component cables to hdmi for the first time, I would suggest holding the power button thing... this will allow the ps3 to do an auto-detect to what cable is connected. I have to do this when I bring my PS3 over to a friend with a non-hdmi tv and vice versa...otherwise all he'll get is a blank screen (the PS3 will start up with the latest settings, and if he had it set to component cables, he will get a blank screen when using hdmi)

in his case, he'd only need to do it once. Once it is configured for HDMI he can just start it normally.

Nex
09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
You can use a 250Gb sata 2.5 in it.