PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Shooting Range

BluesClues
09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
So who goes? I have been wanting to go for several years now. I want to go so that I can learn how to shoot a gun. I feel that in the days that we live in now, females should know how to protect themselves. I live on my own, so for safety reasons, I need to have something in case of emergencies.
If you go where do you go? Are you able to take anyone with you?

BluesClues
09-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Ok, so why so quiet?

02SloWrx
09-25-2009, 07:56 PM
just google shooting range in your area, take your ass over there, and they will take you step by step.

BluesClues
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
^^^ Cool

BanginJimmy
09-25-2009, 10:13 PM
depends on where you live at, but this thread would get more views and advise from the hunting and outdoors forum.

I go shooting pretty regularly at Wild West in Marrietta.

00CelicaGT
09-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Autreys Armory in fayetteville right were autorage used to be off 314.

BluesClues
09-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info. :goodjob:

Vi3t
09-25-2009, 10:56 PM
well, my boyfriend shoots at American Classic Marksman in Norcross. The staff is really friendly. Girls shoot for free on Thursdays. I think from 11-2 its 13 for unlimited range time. After 2, its $16. Hope that helps :)

PSINXS
09-25-2009, 11:02 PM
we shoot in snellville at Bullseye gun range. its indoor and does NOT accommodate rifles. ammo, equipment, targets,and gunr ental available. bring about 50 bux to hav some fun.

that got me a glock 9mm(.40 cal available sub and standard), about 4 or 5 targets, two boxes of ammo, and ear protection.

try not to shoot yourself and they ahve other handguns available. .22, .38 snubs, .45s, .357s, etc. when i went there were no instructors available. i think its for ppl that can operate a handgun safely.

Vi3t
09-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Oh, They also offer a female self-defense class taught by Arlene. :)

RandomGuy
09-26-2009, 09:01 AM
we shoot in snellville at Bullseye gun range. its indoor and does NOT accommodate rifles. ammo, equipment, targets,and gunr ental available. bring about 50 bux to hav some fun.

that got me a glock 9mm(.40 cal available sub and standard), about 4 or 5 targets, two boxes of ammo, and ear protection.

try not to shoot yourself and they ahve other handguns available. .22, .38 snubs, .45s, .357s, etc. when i went there were no instructors available. i think its for ppl that can operate a handgun safely.bullseye is indoor, but I have shot my AK's and other rifles there many times.... they do allow rifles they have two different rooms

PSINXS
09-26-2009, 09:06 AM
bullseye is indoor, but I have shot my AK's and other rifles there many times.... they do allow rifles they have two different rooms

for real? that dickhead told us we couldn't bring the AK in to shoot. ah next time i will see. maybe its cuz we were black lolol j/k

81911SC
09-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I suggest getting a class scheduled for you. You do not want to create improper technique and habits.

Danny
09-26-2009, 10:07 AM
For starters find someone thats allready into guns, do you know anyone in this thread? Go to the range with them and get comfortable handling a gun. I spent a several hours outside the range teaching my girlfriend how to handle a gun, field strip it, proper unloading and loading techniques, proper grip, aiming, range rules, safety ect. That helped build her confidence when we got to the range, it also helps keep new people safe at the range, i do this with all new people i bring.

If you really want to learn how to shoot a pistol sign up with a well known instructor for a 2 or 3 day basic pistol class. Ya you need to cough up some pretty serious dough, but the difference in you skill set afterward will be incredible. But we all understand dough is tight right now, so make friends with people that allready have the skills and learn from them.

I also go shooting at Wild West in Marietta, they have a ladies day (wednesday or thursday i think). Its a small indoor pistol range, but it would work just fine for developing the basics.

BluesClues
09-26-2009, 10:36 AM
For starters find someone thats allready into guns, do you know anyone in this thread? Go to the range with them and get comfortable handling a gun. I spent a several hours outside the range teaching my girlfriend how to handle a gun, field strip it, proper unloading and loading techniques, proper grip, aiming, range rules, safety ect. That helped build her confidence when we got to the range, it also helps keep new people safe at the range, i do this with all new people i bring.

If you really want to learn how to shoot a pistol sign up with a well known instructor for a 2 or 3 day basic pistol class. Ya you need to cough up some pretty serious dough, but the difference in you skill set afterward will be incredible. But we all understand dough is tight right now, so make friends with people that allready have the skills and learn from them.

I also go shooting at Wild West in Marietta, they have a ladies day (wednesday or thursday i think). Its a small indoor pistol range, but it would work just fine for developing the basics.

Thanks a lot! The plan when I made this thread was to have someone volunteer to take me with them, but doesn't seem that got out too well :no:
I live in Newnan so they would have to be somewhat close. I only know two people that have posted in this thread, one being an ex and one being an old friend (that lives too far I think). But if anyone is interested in teaching a noob, hit me up. I def. would like to learn and oh yeah, the funds are extremely tight!

Slomaro Z28
09-26-2009, 11:57 AM
I used to go to Nick's in Marietta, it was Ed's Gun and tackle then...... It's not the nicest indoor range (as in they haven't spent a lot of money on it) but the ammo price is low, they have a lot of rental guns and a rifle range. Now if I wanna shoot we just go out to some friends land and shoot all we want, just costing us gas and ammo.

Danny
09-26-2009, 01:35 PM
from the little i have read up on this instructor he offers good bang for the buck classes

October 17th Womens Handgun
http://www.creeksidefiringrange.com/womans%20handgun.htm

BluesClues
09-26-2009, 11:16 PM
You all have been very helpful. Thank you!

deathrex
09-27-2009, 05:54 PM
You all have been very helpful. Thank you!

i shoot and shoot often. random places. buddies back yard lol he has a large peice of property. the free range up in banks county. american marksman in norcross bullseye in lawrenceville. pm me and come shoot with us!

BluesClues
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
^^^ You are mighty far lol

Truegiant
09-29-2009, 03:34 PM
I have been interested in getting into shooting also. Maybe we could learn together.

Oh wait. you are far from me too..

Oh well.. I figured it would be a good skill to have one day. To bad I am a newb!

BluesClues
09-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah savannah is pretty far lol. But thanks for the offer anyway!

Danny
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
If you didnt catch true's sarcasm, what he is trying to say is training and education is worth the drive!

BluesClues
09-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Savannah is like 3-4 hours away. Not worth it :no:

Danny
09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Savannah is like 3-4 hours away. Not worth it :no:

Maybe not for you. I would say 1-2hr drive would be reasonable for any training you would take. And you should be able to find someone within 30mins of you to help you get the very,very basics. Just all depends how seriously you take it. Like most skills worth having it takes money, time and effort to develop; unfortunately most shooters are not willing to put any of these attributes into their education. A little money, alot of effort and time and you will get you a longgg way.

Hope i am not lecturing, just trying to help :D

I think someone mentioned it allready but you local range should have a 4hour +/- class about gun safety and laws, i hear they are pretty decent. Or you could drive across town to someone qualified and willing to give you their time ;)

Danny
09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
how bout this, we get a range meet going on soon? someone around atlanta.

then we can all split the driving up a little.

BluesClues
09-29-2009, 09:24 PM
how bout this, we get a range meet going on soon? someone around atlanta.

then we can all split the driving up a little.
That's actually a really good idea!
Start a thread or something. Could maybe start as a club later or something.

Danny
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
That's actually a really good idea!
Start a thread or something. Could maybe start as a club later or something.

"IA shooting club"........ scary just thinking about the idea of it. lol

we tried to get a little get together going before.. it ended up being a no go. guess we can try again.

BluesClues
09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
"IA shooting club"........ scary just thinking about the idea of it. lol

we tried to get a little get together going before.. it ended up being a no go. guess we can try again.
Yeah I laughed when I saw the post. Some people might just get crazy.
But yeah try the idea again

Truegiant
09-30-2009, 08:12 PM
If you didnt catch true's sarcasm, what he is trying to say is training and education is worth the drive!

I know.. Maybe she could teach me something.

Anywho.. I am going to be trying to come up to atlanta sometime in the next month or so. I will DEFINATELY be up for thanksgiving and if your not busy danny maybe you can come up to my house in dahlonega and shoot some. Best part about shooting up there is that I can place silhoutte targets on trees in the forest service and setup any kind of scenario for pistol or carbine! I will start getting the supplies together now.

The invite is still open to help me teach the shooting class in florida. Its supposed to be me teaching a 4hr block on offensive pistol - MOUT Scenario / and a 4hr block on defensive carbine shooting - with an emphasis in IMT (individual movement techniques). Anywho.. once I get the go ahead and the deposit I will let you know the details. 2 sherriffs depts and a private company are the ones putting the deposits down on the training. Its a 5 day course for them and I am just a guest speaker for one day and holding the training on one day.

But on a serious note. I got a call from some of my dealers today about some "new" products coming out for the ar platform. Lets just say that you thought ar prices were coming down now. JUST WAIT!

They are going to go
==
==
====
=====

=======

WAY DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny
09-30-2009, 09:19 PM
I know.. Maybe she could teach me something.

Anywho.. I am going to be trying to come up to atlanta sometime in the next month or so. I will DEFINATELY be up for thanksgiving and if your not busy danny maybe you can come up to my house in dahlonega and shoot some. Best part about shooting up there is that I can place silhoutte targets on trees in the forest service and setup any kind of scenario for pistol or carbine! I will start getting the supplies together now.

The invite is still open to help me teach the shooting class in florida. Its supposed to be me teaching a 4hr block on offensive pistol - MOUT Scenario / and a 4hr block on defensive carbine shooting - with an emphasis in IMT (individual movement techniques). Anywho.. once I get the go ahead and the deposit I will let you know the details. 2 sherriffs depts and a private company are the ones putting the deposits down on the training. Its a 5 day course for them and I am just a guest speaker for one day and holding the training on one day.

But on a serious note. I got a call from some of my dealers today about some "new" products coming out for the ar platform. Lets just say that you thought ar prices were coming down now. JUST WAIT!

They are going to go
==
==
====
=====

=======

WAY DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

sign me up for all of the above. I wish i could find some local people and some property to setup drills and scenarios.

With carbine, when transitioning to side arm using a single point sling do you push the weapon down and around your weak side to about you 9 or 10 oclock or do you let the weapon drop straight down resting at your 12oclock?

ps. someone dropped from the Joe Harris carbine course this weekend, and i got the slot :D hope my chest rig is here in time haha

81911SC
10-01-2009, 02:52 AM
I'm moving back to Ga in a few days so I'm possibly up for a range meet. I'd prefer the northside since I'll be driving a ways already. :D

Truegiant
10-02-2009, 08:33 PM
sign me up for all of the above. I wish i could find some local people and some property to setup drills and scenarios.

With carbine, when transitioning to side arm using a single point sling do you push the weapon down and around your weak side to about you 9 or 10 oclock or do you let the weapon drop straight down resting at your 12oclock?

ps. someone dropped from the Joe Harris carbine course this weekend, and i got the slot :D hope my chest rig is here in time haha

Always drop the weapon straight down. It helps with getting back on target once you have cleared the stoppage or re-holstered your secondary weapon. With a one point sling it is extremely hard to get back to a low/high ready position when the weapon is at your side. Esp on the weak side when you have to make sure you clear your gear/rig . I shoot from the chest. I dont shoot from the shoulder pocket as some call it.

Plus anytime you sling your weapon to the weak side you have to take your eyes off target/mission to reacquire the weapon. And when you are in a cqb/mout scenario its hard getting through doors and pieing corners because the weapon is dangling around all over the place. But sling choice and shooting styles is one in a million. Its all about what works for you. I am not a huge fan of the single point slings. The best style of sling system that worked for me was an 8" sling mounted on my strong side to my gear at the shoulder. It would allow the weapon to hang on my strong side and I mounted my BUG on my chest rig with a serpa holster (what was issued and modified). It kept both of my weapons platforms up out of the sand in a standing/kneeling situations and didnt make my leg fall asleep or cause my lanyard to get snagged going in and out of houses and the hmmwv.