PDA

View Full Version : Droping a truck??????????????

lovinmydodge
09-24-2009, 07:33 PM
So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience? I was looking at a cheap drop at the moment. Maybe flip the leafs over?? anyone done that for the rears? just spin the leaf springs over should get like 4 inches of drop from that then maybe cut the front springs to evn it out? just wondering? any and all help is wanted!

lovinmydodge
09-24-2009, 07:37 PM
its a 2005 dodge dakota club cab.

i<3myhondas
09-24-2009, 07:47 PM
u dont want to flip the leafs it will ride like shit and be unsafe, u should just wait till u have the cas hto do it right.

dorin48
09-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Well a flip kit and cut coils would def. be cheap but..... it would ride like crap. /\

THEONE
09-24-2009, 09:25 PM
do the leaf springs sit on top of the axle or on the bottom in a dakota? if they are on the bottom use lowering blocks i use to run a mono leaf with a 4 inch block and angled shims to keep the correct pinion angle on my old s10. and i had drop spindels in the front with cut springs then i later added air bags :D

dallasb84
09-25-2009, 01:05 AM
drop spindles on the front

and axle over leaf in the rear.... or with blocks

justin865
09-28-2009, 12:18 PM
just do it right the first time, u get for wat u pay for or dont pay for.

Sammich
09-28-2009, 12:19 PM
GET A FLIP KIT AND DO SPINDLES OR SPRINGS..WHATEVER IS UP FRONT ON YOUR TRUCK...

TSiFTW
09-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Notch, bags, drag, done. If you can't afford that right now springs up front blocks in da back. Don't start taking out leafs unless you really like to bounce.

Sammich
09-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Notch, bags, drag, done. If you can't afford that right now springs up front blocks in da back. Don't start taking out leafs unless you really like to bounce.
FYI WHEN I REMOVED LEAFS FROM MY TRUCK IT DIDNT BOUNCE. SO ITS NOT IN EVERY SITUATION IF U REMOVE SPRINGS U WILL BOUNCE.:goodjob:

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 12:25 PM
So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience? I was looking at a cheap drop at the moment. Maybe flip the leafs over?? anyone done that for the rears? just spin the leaf springs over should get like 4 inches of drop from that then maybe cut the front springs to evn it out? just wondering? any and all help is wanted!

I lowered my first truck (back in 1988) by removing the front coil springs completely and going flipped, mono-leaf in the rear. You do not want to just flip the rear springs. It will create a very rough, bouncy ride. Best cheapest thing to do is get (from Pep Boys or wherever) a 3" lowering block set for the rear (very easy to install) and heat the front coils about 2" or so.

Total cost? About $50. You won't be slammed, but it would be a nice, low drop for you. Later, QD.

TSiFTW
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
FYI WHEN I REMOVED LEAFS FROM MY TRUCK IT DIDNT BOUNCE. SO ITS NOT IN EVERY SITUATION IF U REMOVE SPRINGS U WILL BOUNCE.:goodjob:

That is true. But my take on it is, if you take out one leaf you may as well go monoleaf. Personally I have never ridden in a monoleafed truck that rode well. Hey though I like the bounce. I'm a minitrucker at heart and loosing your teeth in a small pothole was just part of it back before adjustable suspension became the thing to do.

bdydrpdmazda
09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
do it right or you will be pissed at yourself. If you plan on bagging the truck in the future you will need drop spindles anyway so you might as well do that now. Dropped Ibeams or control arms up front are another option to go with that will no really alter your ride quality and will be parts that will be needed anyway if you decide to bag it in the future. in the rear you never ever ever want to flip your leaf springs, it is very dangerous. go get yourself some blocks that are hella cheap and do it like that. Also depending on how low you go you will need some drop shocks in the front and the back. Belltech makes the best suspension componets on the planet but they can be expensive. DJM is second best and very reasonably priced. Remember that your suspension is the only thing between you and the highway so you want to do it right and not cut corners.

SouthrnStyle
09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Just 4 link it bags on bars and back half the frame and control arms up front and drop spindles and slam bags all round 8smc valves 1/2 up 3/8 dumps 8 gal tank and 2 480s :)

bdydrpdmazda
09-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Just 4 link it bags on bars and back half the frame and control arms up front and drop spindles and slam bags all round 8smc valves 1/2 up 3/8 dumps 8 gal tank and 2 480s :)
I actually have all this stuff for sale except the back half of the frame and the the spindles and control arms.

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 12:43 PM
so you want to do it right and not cut corners.

Although if you do cut corners, make sure you know what you're doing. If you don't, you can fuck up. Bad. If you do know, then cutting corners isn't bad at all. I've never bought after marker suspension in my life and it's never been a regrettable decision for me. I've always done the backyard job. Later, QD.

CHADbee
09-28-2009, 12:56 PM

i have a leaf pulled in the rear of my blazer and it rides alot better than it did stock.

CHADbee
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
do it right or you will be pissed at yourself. If you plan on bagging the truck in the future you will need drop spindles anyway so you might as well do that now. Dropped Ibeams or control arms up front are another option to go with that will no really alter your ride quality and will be parts that will be needed anyway if you decide to bag it in the future. in the rear you never ever ever want to flip your leaf springs, it is very dangerous. go get yourself some blocks that are hella cheap and do it like that. Also depending on how low you go you will need some drop shocks in the front and the back. Belltech makes the best suspension componets on the planet but they can be expensive. DJM is second best and very reasonably priced. Remember that your suspension is the only thing between you and the highway so you want to do it right and not cut corners.

:werd:

everything on my truck is belltech except for the DJM coils and the parts are top notch.

SouthrnStyle
09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
i have a leaf pulled in the rear of my blazer and it rides alot better than it did stock.

thats what i did with my old blazer and i put a 4 inch block in and shocks i miss that damn blazer too it was just about to get paint then i sold it :(

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 01:00 PM

You'd have go more than a leaf, dude. On my Toyota, I had all helper springs yanked out and the one spring left flipped over. It shoved the axle straight into the bed. That was a bouncy ride. Later, QD.

CHADbee
09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
You'd have go more than a leaf, dude. On my Toyota, I had all helper springs yanked out and the one spring left flipped over. It shoved the axle straight into the bed. That was a bouncy ride. Later, QD.

LOL in the rear i have pulled leaf+3 inch block=4.75 drop in the rear.

bdydrpdmazda
09-28-2009, 01:04 PM
i blew out an airbag once on my S10 and had to shove a short 2x4 between my 4 link bars and my frame rails to keep it from draggin so i could get it about 2 miles down the road to my buddies house, worst two miles of my life

bdydrpdmazda
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
save up about 1500 bucks and bag that shit, thats the way to roll

TSiFTW
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to bouncy=monoleaf.

TSiFTW
09-28-2009, 01:06 PM
i blew out an airbag once on my S10 and had to shove a short 2x4 between my 4 link bars and my frame rails to keep it from draggin so i could get it about 2 miles down the road to my buddies house, worst two miles of my life

You are not alone. Haha. That shit sucks. lol

bdydrpdmazda
09-28-2009, 01:10 PM
I miss my bagged ride, makes me want to build another. I could do it pretty cheap too considering i have pretty much everything i need with the exception of a truck

lovinmydodge
09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
ok well the rear end of my truck is like this. It sits a lil higher than the front. I can get a shackle kit that I can drop the rear 1 to 2 inches. The rear end is above the leafs so I could get a drop block kit and lower the rear a lil more. question is where would I take my truck to have the front coils removed cut and replaced? I myself don't have the equipment to put the springs back on. don't have the correct coil compressor. I'm only looking to get about 2 inches up front and at most 4 inches in the rear. I don't wanna take a leaf out because the truck is VERY heavy. 5400 lbs on a mid size truck isn't anything to light lol. But thanks for the advice. i'll be def droping the rear end down a lil bit. and hopefully dropping the front soon ! Also looking for some 18's or 20's to add to it! may wait to drop it till i get the rims on it because I don't wanna chop my front end down then not be able to get the full turn on it. so if anyone know's of some decent cheap set of 5 on 5.5 rims lemme know!

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
may wait to drop it till i get the rims on it

That's EXACTLY what you should do. Most trucks look like straight shit when you drop them stock wheels because most people leave the stock (big ass) side walls on them.

I still recommend heating the springs. You can do it yourself for $10 and you don't have to take anything off. Just sit and heat. I've been doing that to cars since 1986, lolol. Later, QD.

lovinmydodge
09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
heat it with what??? only heat source I have is a soder torch lol like the size of a bic ligher and I got a heat gun... You have a torch you can do it for me? lol.

quickdodgeŽ
09-28-2009, 05:25 PM
heat it with what??? only heat source I have is a soder torch lol like the size of a bic ligher and I got a heat gun... You have a torch you can do it for me? lol.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy a mini-propane torch kit. Costs $10. It's self explanatory. Where do you live? Later, QD.

lovinmydodge
09-28-2009, 05:27 PM
im off hwy 78 between loganville/ snellville and lawerenceville. Like 10 min from down town lawerenceville. off sr20 and near 78

lovinmydodge
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
*** Correction The rear end is below the leafs. the leafs sit on the rear end. so ... no ez block kit for me. If I swap where the rear end is now and put the rear end on top of the leafs it would be too much of a drop. almost 3 inches the rear end would be about 2 to 3 inches from the bottoming out point.

lovinmydodge
09-29-2009, 10:40 PM
well I got my intake coming and another like 45 feet of sound deadening. Still trying to figure out the rear end. If I move the rear end over the leafs i'll drop about 2 to 2.5 inches. That is alot to move strait up with the rear end. Because then I'll only have about 3 inches of room for suspension travel. after that it will hit the rubber stoppers that are on the bottom of the frame. I'll post up pics of intake after installed.

lovinmydodge
10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
any idea on what to do? or anyone who is a legit welder? I could cut the mounting bracket off and re weld it up about 2 to three inches!

spazzyfry123
10-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Slammed is the only way to go. I love my setup on my Lightning :bump:

Eksgot_ti
10-01-2009, 10:06 PM
you could trim the bump stop. and if it still bottoms out just adjust your driving habits it shouldnt take but a couple of good bumps or pot holes before you get used to it

lovinmydodge
10-02-2009, 03:24 PM
lol yeah but I don't wanna have warped rear ends lol. I may do that and put a helper spring on the leafs. That way I can still have fun in my truck lol.

Jimmy B
10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
chad, your blazer is not low enough!! I had mine dropped 5/6, frame was about 1.5" from the ground..

to the OP, get wheels, then figure out how much you REALLY want it dropped.. A flip kit will drop it about 5-6 in.. to much for most people.. get shackles and/or drop springs for the rear, then spindles for the front. If you want to slam it.. eather save up 3G and bag it, OR spindles/springs for the front, and a flip kit out back.

i know QD recomends heating.. thats ok for light cars/trucks.. I have never had good luck with heating..

spend the money, and do it right the first time..

lovinmydodge
10-02-2009, 08:08 PM
problem is this. They don't make anything for this truck. I am going to get rims first. Thinking of doing this tho ( smoking the heads and tails, dark tint, and a two tone. Up from around the roof line doing a black and lower from under the side view mirrors keeping the factory sand mica. doing black rims with maybe some chrome or machined aluminum?_) The truck that has been modded that is the same year model as mine they took a bag kit for an 03 and had to custom mod the spindles to allow for the drop and it not twist the control arms. But i'm thinking about blacking out just about everything. Maybe even a flat black for the rims. with a blue pinstripe to offset the two town.

CHADbee
10-02-2009, 08:16 PM
chad, your blazer is not low enough!! I had mine dropped 5/6, frame was about 1.5" from the ground..

i know :cry:

i came real close to doing drop leafs in the rear and a 3 inch coil in the front

everybody told me once you go lower than 4/5 it starts to really ride like shit though.

lovinmydodge
10-02-2009, 08:32 PM
i'm probably looking at rims from 18's up. to a max of 22's I've found a lot of rims for the truck. If anyone knows of any good deals on rims in that size that are black (flat black ) and are a lug pattern of 5 on 5.5 hit me up PLZ!

Jimmy B
10-02-2009, 09:04 PM
i know :cry:

i came real close to doing drop leafs in the rear and a 3 inch coil in the front

everybody told me once you go lower than 4/5 it starts to really ride like shit though.

i notched the frame, never had a problem.. except on hard takeoffs.. the driveshaft would rub, and the rear tires would hit the top of the fenderwells.. I loved that truck

CHADbee
10-02-2009, 09:13 PM
i notched the frame, never had a problem.. except on hard takeoffs.. the driveshaft would rub, and the rear tires would hit the top of the fenderwells.. I loved that truck

yeah i have the SD c-notch

Jimmy B
10-03-2009, 07:48 AM
yeah i have the SD c-notch

Ahh, mine rode fine.. that gets me wanting to get another one..

oh well.. i really accuallyt want a mid 200x suburban to hammer...

bdydrpdmazda
10-03-2009, 08:51 AM
another option for you is taking the leafs to get de-arched. You can choose how much you want them to do it too. I dont think its very expensive.

CHADbee
10-03-2009, 09:42 AM
While were shooting the shit about droping trucks....anybody got any ideas on how to get another 1/2 inch lower in the rear of my truck besides hiring a midget to ride around in the back?

bdydrpdmazda
10-03-2009, 09:45 AM
While were shooting the shit about droping trucks....anybody got any ideas on how to get another 1/2 inch lower in the rear of my truck besides hiring a midget to ride around in the back?
buy an 80 pound bag of quickcrete and put it as far back as you can in the truck

no but seriously, how is it lowered right now

Jimmy B
10-03-2009, 09:47 AM
bigger speakers..

or lowering springs..

CHADbee
10-03-2009, 09:50 AM
buy an 80 pound bag of quickcrete and put it as far back as you can in the truck

no but seriously, how is it lowered right now

front:belltech spindals(2")+DJM coils(2")+belltech shocks
rear:ground force blocks(3")+pulled leaf(1.75-ish")+belltech shocks+SD notch

i dont want to go 4 inch block cause i dont want an inch....i want an 1/2 lower in the back.

bdydrpdmazda
10-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I will recommend the same to you as i did to the OP, de-arch your leafs. it keeps all the leafs you have it just takes some of the arch out of them, you dont have to get them all the way flat. the shop can do them as much as you want and if I remember correctly it was only about 40 bucks a set for chevy leafs

CHADbee
10-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Intresting. I also found out JTR make 1/2 blocks so I might switch for their 3" block set+their 1/2" block cause you can stack them

bdydrpdmazda
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Intresting. I also found out JTR make 1/2 blocks so I might switch for their 3" block set+their 1/2" block cause you can stack them
that sounds like your best bet. 1/2 inch is so minimal that you really dont have alot of options

lovinmydodge
10-03-2009, 07:53 PM
hmmmmmm any shops in the north east side of atlanta that would be capable of flattining out the leafs? also in flatter leafs will it not extend the length of the leafs as well? so I would need something that will allow that extra little length ( because if you flatten the leafs it will be longer. If you try and stuff it back in the factory location it will be bent back to the same design... Or will the shackle in the rear allow that much of an extension?

bdydrpdmazda
10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
the shakle should allow for it, they dont get that much longer

lovinmydodge
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
The sexiness is in and it sounds SOOO GOOD!!!!! and there is significant mpg increase like 5 to 9 miles per gallon. also good bit of in the seat umph in my midrange powerband! HELLZ YEA AND ITS ONLY 75 BUCKS SHIPPED YES FTW!

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/lovindatuba/October-07_1053.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/lovindatuba/October-07_1052.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/lovindatuba/October-07_1050.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/lovindatuba/October-06_1256.jpg

Jimmy B
10-09-2009, 07:57 AM
5-9mpg? i highly doubt that.. i got about 1-2 mabye with my K&N system.

PS, CLEAN THAT ENGINE!!!!

lovinmydodge
10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
well you don't drive my truck do you? i got a 6 mpg gain in the city and about 8 ish on hwy. I'm running around 24 now in the hwy and about 16 to 18 in city. The factory system had 2 different airflow diverters that slowed and lessoned the amount of air flowing in. infact with the factory system I gainded 2 mpg with just removing the air filter. even with a k&n.

lovinmydodge
10-09-2009, 10:04 PM
yeah I know i need to clean it. Went out to a little muddin area and played for a second. should have seen it b4. But I don't want to pressure wash the alternator. Dunno i'f I'd have an issue with that afterward also with the new intake I guess I could just stuff the intake tubes and remove the filters so I don't water log the truck...