PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods too much flow? need advice/opinions

ShooterMcGavin
10-13-2005, 12:53 PM
hoping i can get some input about my i/h/e setup. i'm in a 00 prelude w/an aem short ram intake, and dc headers right now. i'm in the process of deciding on a catback as well and have been thinking about a new highflow cat in the meanwhile.

my question is this, should i be worried about having too much flow through the system since i don't have FI?

any help is appreciated, thnx in advance.

rolling_trip
10-13-2005, 01:01 PM
I think as long as u keep a cat you should have enough back pressure, really it depends on the size of the exhaust pipe and muffler.

ShooterMcGavin
10-13-2005, 04:48 PM
well i'm lookin at either 2.5" or 3" exhaust piping and then an apex n1 muffler.

KevinT707
10-13-2005, 05:48 PM
don't get any bigger than 2.5" piping on your setup unless your running a high boost application you should run 3"+ , hi-flow cat will help

99SI
10-14-2005, 09:06 AM
This is a question where you will get many different opinions. Although you can get too big of an exhaust that actually hampers the scavenging of exhaust gasses a 2.5" or 3" IMO would be OK. I would probably go with the 2.5" depending on what your future plans include. If they include boost or higher lift cams, some other type of power adder then I would probably go with the 3". You could definately do better in the header department though. I have the DC w/ 2.5" collector and it is one of the main downfalls of my build. As soon as I have some $$$ it will be an RMF b16 header that will far outflow the DC. I read an article where they had an ITR with a straight 3" exhaust, which was basically a long test pipe and it made way more power than the aftermarket 2.5" exhaust they had on. I'm bored and have a keyboard so take what you want out of this but I would say, go to Mainstream Performance and get Charles to build you a custom 2.5" exhaust. You will come out much better and have something that is truely hand made and custom.

Vteckidd
10-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Remember guys , he has a 2.2L motor.

IMO, i would go with 2.5in exhaust if you plan to not go inside the motor. If you plan on just having a peppy little bolt on car, then there really isnt any reason to go to a 3in. now if you plan on doing cams and a bigger header like 99SI said, 3in is where you need to be at. but if you dont decide to do that, i cant really justify you doign a 3in exhaust unless you plan on going turbo in the NEAR future.

However, there are major sacrifices when running a 3in exhaust with a N1 muffler, make NO MISTAKE, IT WILL BE LOUD.

I will prob run a 3in exhaust on my 2.0l 12.5:1 LSVTEC. but its a race car.

And the thing about backpressure is horseshit. i made more power THROUGHOUT the power band open header than i ever did with an exhaust on the car. i have also done dynos of cars WITH and exhaust then done it open header, the gains or difference were MARGINAL at best (IE 1whp) between the two.

dohc_ls
10-15-2005, 09:22 AM
one mod that i like to run with any catback is a test pipe. low end has alittle loss, but top end feels much better.

Ludester
10-15-2005, 06:39 PM
I would go with 2.5'' If u plan on going turbo, I would wait until after the turbo then go 3''

Speedm0(\)key
10-16-2005, 06:56 PM
catless 2.5 " piping.. but i dont know honda ECU's.. would it learn to make changes with better flow?... i mean.. if you had a 350z i would certainly tell you that unless you are going Technosquare, there really is no reason to go catless

the reason i suggested 2.5'' piping catless is because a friend of mine is running that size piping i beleive in his h22 hatch.. no cat.. and i think uberdata. and all basic bolt ons. almost made to the wheel what they are rated at the crank.

Ludester
10-18-2005, 02:45 PM
It will ajust