PDA

View Full Version : integra starting issue

madwick
09-21-2009, 05:39 PM
the car is inconsistent. sometimes its all good, no problem, and then on my break i go to start the car to get a bite to eat and when i turn the key, NOTHING. the only 2 ways to resolve the issue is;

1) connect jumper cables to another running car and it turns over regularly.
2) roll the car and dump the clutch, jumping it off in 1st or reverse.

it has a new starter from advanced auto about 8 months old. a new battery from the local acura dealership about 4 months old. what is the problem? alternator, i was told by the battery guy at Ebco its fine. but i think its the alterntor, ignition coil, or the main relay. only problem is, i don't want to go buying all these parts without them needing replacement. please help!

TSiFTW
09-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Check all your connections to the battery, grounds, and starter solenoid. Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere that sometimes makes connection and sometimes don't.

BTEC
09-21-2009, 05:42 PM
do u have a volt meter or access to one?

madwick
09-21-2009, 06:28 PM
yeah i keep one in my car

CaTcH22
09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Manual tranny?? May have a clutch pedal switch issue.

JJSPEC Racing
09-21-2009, 06:37 PM
X2 Good call QWK D16

TSiFTW
09-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Yeah I didn't think about that but good call. I forget cause I always disconnect mine.

madwick
09-21-2009, 06:49 PM
its not that bc you here it click when you have the key turned and push in the clutch. that happened on my last teg so i went there first.

madwick
09-21-2009, 07:59 PM
alright, it is now a repetitive problem. if i cant diagnose and fix it by friday, i will be dropping the car off at acura.

D3UC3S
09-21-2009, 08:11 PM
do you hear your main relay clicking when its not starting???

madwick
09-21-2009, 08:33 PM
cant tell. i think i hear one click.

Romeo
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Possibly Main relay or distributor if any of those aren't the answer.

D3UC3S
09-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Try one of your buddies main relays and see if it fires up

gsrteg
09-21-2009, 11:16 PM
probably a bad grounding somewhere...check if your ground on the thermostat housing is secure and tight (I circled on the diagram, located behind the Distributor)...I had same issue as yours, and found this was my problem the bolt was loose..but if not ur case, then bust out voltmeter, and start checking. ALSO, check if timing belt has not snapped, missing a teeth, or loose (if loose, tighten it up via tensioner pulley)!!!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/whoasnoopy/thermo.jpg

dallasb84
09-22-2009, 03:08 AM
if its the above ground problem the cel with dimmly flash and your idiot lights will do the same

Formally...
09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't think it is a main relay problem since you can jump start the car and roll start the car. The main relay controls the ecu and fuel pump and those are both working since the car will start when rolled off. If you have a voltmeter you need to first see if you are getting 12v to the smaller wire on the starter when the key is turned to the start position. If not, check fuses, clutch switch, and ignition switch. If yes then check the larger wire on the starter and see if it has 12v and stays at 12v while turning the key to the start position. You can also check the ground from the chassis to the front of the tranny. I have seen starting problems if this ground is bad. Good luck.

madwick
09-22-2009, 10:35 AM
awesome advice guys. if i would have gotten up earlier today and not had to be to work i'd be out working on the car. in any case, i dont have a second body to help me run through these diagnostics. hopefully ill be able to get with a friend or maybe my g/f to help tonight or tomorrow!

p.s. the car has an alarm on it and it has a starter disable function. im going to remove the alarm temporarily to see if thats it too!

ill keep you posted if i find the resolution.

goi_ek
09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
well seems like the same problem i had, it was very annoying because the car wouldnt start at random times. It turned out to be that positive terminal on the battery would get loose

madwick
09-22-2009, 08:00 PM
OKAY

not the alternator;
the car doesn't lose any power while on, all lights work, audio works fine
not the alarm;
the car starts through ignition when connected to jumper cables
not the clutch relay;
the relay clicks when clutch engages/disengages
not battery;
its 4 months old from acura, has 12.44 volts sitting with engine off
not starter;
its about a year old, starts when jumper cables are connected to battery

i checked the grounds for tightness. they all seem fine. when i bought the car, it had a power cable from AAp in place of the negative. i went to the yunk yard and yanked one from a civic. still can't find the actual issue.

CaTcH22
09-24-2009, 07:02 AM
See what kind of voltage drop you get when you hit the key. You could still have a bad main ground. When you jump the car you are using the other cars ground....and it starts.

madwick
09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
when i jump the car i use both cars battery terminals. i swapped out the starter at advanced and have't had a problem yet. my underground honda mechanic told me it might be the starter, it could have a dead spot and another battery already running would allow the current to arc over/around the dead spot to make a connection. the starter i turned in still looked new and was 8 months old. but when it tested on the bench, of course it was fine! so he gave it back and i found that under the starter, opposite side of the power supply there is a bolt and is cover by a rubber cover. just talking to the dude at advanced i peeled it back to fine the stud, nut and wire had corrosion on them. i said could that cause it? he said posssibly and then gave me a new starter!

also, whomever i bought this car from last october, while removing the intake, i find that the fan switch on the back of the thermostat is broke off! the plug was just hangin around. sucks when little stuff isn't fixed when its broken. so i got another switch ill be installing this weeeknd.

AND, the knucklehead had the clutch swapped out but was asked if he wanted to replace the through out bearing. he said no because it was still functional. even though its not seized it's noise sounds like its dragging. so my tranny is noisy as hell when the clutch is depressed in or out of gear!

ps. sorry for the last 2 paragraphs/rants, its just i haven't had someone wanting to help me with my car recently and when i was under the hood looking for bad grounds or connections i found all these "Screw Ups"

wrekonize
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
try this it might be a long shot but the terminal wire on top of the alternator might be corroded and not letting it charge your battery like it should and that might cause the battery to be low so it not having enough power to turn your starter....

madwick
09-24-2009, 11:01 AM
all replies have recvd reps!

i'll go look now if i can see any corrosion

madwick
09-25-2009, 10:14 PM
it was the starter. all problems have stopped. i gues just cause something works some of the time, it could still be it.

note to self; remove part, check for corrosion.