PDA

View Full Version : valve spring compressor

88civic_hatc
09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
:???:i went to advance and got some valve stem seals and a valve spring compressor but the directions are so broad on the box anyone ever use one on an ls head it dont look like it gonna work any suggestions would be great

punkr6
09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
is the head on or off the block ?

Barefoot
09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
:???:i went to advance and got some valve stem seals and a valve spring compressor but the directions are so broad on the box anyone ever use one on an ls head it dont look like it gonna work any suggestions would be great
there are many different type of compressors which do u have.

AnthonyF
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
go to DOVER heads. Just south of the airport. Greatest people in the world.

-Ant.

dallasb84
09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
i made a valve spring compressor.... advanced autozone napa, and pep boys dont cary what you need......

like i said i got one and im in marietta..... its ghetto but works just fine.

88civic_hatc
09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
dallas whay u make it out of

dallasb84
09-21-2009, 02:14 PM
i bought a 36" 1/4" x 1" aluminum flat bar. 24"x 1.5 x1.5 aluminum angle. 36" 3/8 aluminum round stock. and some bolts.

cut 5" angle ou the angle and drilled 3/8 holes on one side at each end. then two hole on the bottom to attach to the head at the cam caps. basically the angle goes from exhaust cam inboard bolt to intake cap inboard bolt. X 3 each

cut the flat stock to 24 inches and drilled 3/8 hole at one end. the from that hole measured about 5 " up and drilled a second hole. (lever handle)

cut a 5 inch piece of flat stock with 3/8 hole at one end with two 1/4 holes at the other first one inch center then two inch center. (small bar)

cut a 6" angle and notched bottom end 3/16 inch up about 3 inches. drill 1/4 hole on each side to match the above flat bar... ( spring pusher thingy)

how all this junk works

attache the 5 inch angles to the head x3. slide the bar stock through the angles opposite of the valves you wanna compress. and then slide the 24 inch lever through 3/8 hole you drilled at the end. then bolt the small bar to the 3/8 hole you drilled 5 inched up the lever. bolt on the notched piece of angle to the small bar stock so that it can clear the cam journal.....

push down on lever and remove spring retainers...... to install springs.... push spring with recptacle down and with a magnetic tip screwdriver push retainer onto valve. use grease to hold the retainers to the valve..

hope you can make sense

basically your building a big lever...

this is very easy to to use...... soooo easy