PDA

View Full Version : Motor and Clutch/Tranny Question

J-Spec_Hatch
10-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Yea i was just wounderin what happens if your drive your car hard and u just got a new swap and clutch, but u don't wait till 500 miles for it to drop in and you've had it and been drivin it hard for a week.

A.P. Photography
10-13-2005, 08:23 AM
One thing is you can definatley fry your clutch.

J-Spec_Hatch
10-13-2005, 08:25 AM
One thing is you can definatley fry your clutch.

will driving normal for another 500 miles help
what will help?
will anything happen to my motor??

A.P. Photography
10-13-2005, 08:54 AM
You sound like the motor already got jacked up, what is it doing?

99SI
10-13-2005, 09:18 AM
If it's a new swap but a used engine I don't think you would have that much problem as long as you have proper amounts of oil and oil pressure and are not overheating. Now if you have rebuilt or gotten a new engine in your car and you run it hard without a break in then you could have trouble with rings sealing and cause oil consumption issues. I could be wrong but a swap that already has xx,xxx miles on it should be ready to roll as long as you are running the proper ecu and A/F ratios are good and the afforementioned things, oil/press., temp.

A.P. Photography
10-13-2005, 09:56 AM
^ I was assuming that it was a used swap, did not even think about it being rebuilt. Still, what is it doing?

99SI
10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Really, that's what I was thinking. The question and point of this thread are vague. One consequence of driving your recently swapped car hard is that you might get a ticket. Another is you will burn much more gas than if you took it easy and cruised around. You may also go around a curve too fast or torque steer your eg into a ditch causing hurt feelings as well as physical injury. The car shouldn't have a problem though. lol

Vteckidd
10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
If the clutch is brand new, you can warp the Pressure plate/Flywheel, or tear up the clutch DIsk.

The reason for a "break in" period on a new clutch is to give it time to "mesh" together with everything. Certain fibers and composited of a clutch need to be worn in to each other before you can go off an beat on it.

There are certain clutches that come with kevlar disks, that rewuire zero break in, the material is so hard, and so abrasive, it doesnt need to be broken in. theoretically, Kevalr should never wear out either.

but to answer your vague question:
1) Used engine that has not been rebuilt, drive it like you stole it
2) New Clutch, take it easy for 500 miles to make sure its ok

If you want to know more, read this thread, it is one of the best i have ever read, and it has lots of good info.

Clutch 101 By Rocket Motorsports (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=215379)

BTEC
10-13-2005, 11:20 AM
u can fry ur clutch for sure by not going through the break in period wnt hurt ur mtr. i put my ACT setup in, started the car and was banging gear like crazy. havent had ne problem out of it and its been in almost 2yrs. maybe i got lucky but id go through the break in period if i felt it slipping or ne thing.

Vteckidd
10-13-2005, 11:24 AM
ok, GATEG, who is this:
http://dura.cell.free.fr/home/avatars/oO.gif

cause she is hot

BTEC
10-13-2005, 11:25 AM
ok, GATEG, who is this:

cause she is hot
just some girl hes gonna marry one day, nobody popular or ne thing. lol!!!

jimjam187
10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
=turd

J-Spec_Hatch
10-14-2005, 07:47 AM
You sound like the motor already got jacked up, what is it doing?

The motor is fine, its a d15b
Nothins wrong with it i was just concerned about the clutch

J-Spec_Hatch
10-14-2005, 07:49 AM
ok thanks alot vteckidd that really helped alot
but is there anything i can do so nuthin won't happen to the clutch, like another 500 miles or sumthin???

A.P. Photography
10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
ok, GATEG, who is this:

cause she is hot
Honestly I am not sure. It looks to be from a playbody video tho