PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing?

terrytowe22
09-19-2009, 03:05 PM
97 civic coupe ex how hard is it to change them i think i have one going bad make in a roarin sound??

wrekonize
09-19-2009, 03:09 PM
97 civic coupe ex how hard is it to change them i think i have one going bad make in a roarin sound??

more info would help...
front or rear
and if the rear then disk or drums???????

j0nbunklah0m
09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
if it was me, i'd just change out the whole knuckle. but taht may cost more $

wrekonize
09-19-2009, 03:17 PM
same here that would be easier , but their not all that difficult to replace you'll just have to roll up your sleeves and get alittle dirty..

if it was me, i'd just change out the whole knuckle. but taht may cost more $

BTEC
09-19-2009, 03:19 PM
you have to press the hub (part with ur lugnuts in it) out of the spindle then the bearing out of the spindle and the race off the back of the hub (bc it usually seperates). I hate doing em bc i dont like using a press. i like just unbolting and bolting new ish on. not hard just time comsuming if its ur first time or dnt have access to a press and the stuff to hold the knuckle straight in the press.

terrytowe22
09-19-2009, 03:24 PM
its the front. so it better just to the whole thing then deal with the bearing i have a press in all

BTEC
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
if u have a spare knuckle assembly with a good bearing then use it and deal with the pressing the bearing in and out later. thats what i did. lol!!

terrytowe22
09-19-2009, 03:31 PM
alright thanks man reps to you for the info.
if u have a spare knuckle assembly with a good bearing then use it and deal with the pressing the bearing in and out later. thats what i did. lol!!

green91
09-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Unless you've got a press you'll need to take it to somebody to have it installed.

BTEC
09-19-2009, 03:38 PM
alright thanks man reps to you for the info.

np man. i help when i can.

Barefoot
09-19-2009, 05:26 PM
if it was me, i'd just change out the whole knuckle. but taht may cost more $thats just a costly risk. if u get a different spindle and it works for a few days your right back at doing it again. im in the business of doing it right the first time. take the advice. replace the bearing.

its the front. so it better just to the whole thing then deal with the bearing i have a press in alli dont have a press. so i take them to local shops on average its $20 to have the old pressed off and new pressed back on. a new bearing cost what $60-$70. yah its cost a lil more but to only have to do it once well worth it.

jmmx258
09-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I made a tool, and do it myself w/out a press :) lol. To take the old out, i just beat the hell out of it. To put the new in, i used an old bearing, the outer race, and welded it to a rather large piece of steel I found on some rr tracks. I put my new bearing in the freezer and simply heat up the knuckle with just a propane torch with map gas. Once heated the bearing goes most of the way in on its own, a few decent taps with a hammer and the tool and its in.

I also freeze the hub at the same time and leave it in there while installing the bearing. I made a cup sort of thing, with a piece of all-thread i made in school that I use to pull the hub into the bearing with out it popping the inner races out.

Edit: The first and last time I took one in to be pressed, the guy who was supposed to know what he was doing (said he'd done it before) neglected to press the hub out. Orrrrrr take the big snap ring out broke 3 sets of parallels, then proceeded to try and charge me for them. I told him to eat it, paid him for work done and walked out.

1MP0RTL0V3R
09-19-2009, 11:47 PM
its a bitch to replace it without the right tools but some how my dad uncle and me replaced it on my civic but it took a long time but it was worth it in the end