PDA

View Full Version : Misc Here's an excellent article on Feminem...

quickdodge®
03-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Eminem does not represent real rap
By George Valko
OPINION COLUMNIST
January 21, 2005

Students are always explaining to me the greatness that is Eminem.
"His flows are sooo tight!"

"I love the part where he rhymes about killing his baby's momma."

"I can not believe Triumph tried to front on his ass, I woulda f'd that bitch up hardcore!"

These are typical things I hear "Em-heads" say regarding the modern genius. Yet for those that really care about music and hip-hop, Eminem's talent is highly overrated and overblown.

Ever wonder why most of his singles sound like music that came directly from a carnival, or perhaps the kind of music kids hear while on the merry-go-round? It is as if Dr. Dre could not get anyone to listen to his prot駩 unless he put those childish "clowning around" beats into Slim's albums.

The only other song Eminem knows how to make is the angry, self-pitying song about how hard his life is. These songs sound like hip-hop versions of Linkin Park.

Eminem cannot hold a candle up to the great emcees, past and present. He is not as influential as De La Soul or NWA, nor is he as creative as Cee-Lo or Dizzy Rascal. He has no message for political or social change like J-Live or A Tribe Called Quest and he does not come close to the type of energizing flow of Busta Rhymes or Biz Markie.

If students take a close look at the history of Eminem, they might see something interesting. Who first responded to Eminem? Those hip-hop die hards? The black community?

No, it was white kids from the suburbs.

His first single, "My Name Is," even crossed over and got airplay on alternative radio -- because he was white.

Eventually, he got so popular that even if black emcees wanted to distance themselves from Eminem, they couldn't for fear of losing sales from white suburban youth.

When Eminem gained the spotlight it was as if white kids suddenly had a voice in rap music and could now personally relate to Schooly D.

The fact is that Eminem is just a modern day Elvis. Elvis did not create great music (well actually he stole his music), he just made it okay for white people to listen to black music back in the day.

And that is what Eminem has done for us (except for the stealing part).

The concept of Eminem is racist. The idea--that white America would need a white rapper to make hip hop okay to listen to--is racist, and that is really all Eminem is.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with white people in hip hop.

Look at Rick Ruben, The Streets, and the Beastie Boys (even though they now feel it is more important to make an album about how much they love New York than do something artistic).

Actually, all these guys have much more talent and willingness to expand their music than Eminem ever will.

If Shady's musical contributions are pointless, then what has he actually done for us? Perhaps the good that has come out of Eminem is how white America feels a little easier around blacks.

White students at this University use black slang. White students might even have black friends now (shock), because if Em can do it, so can I.

The thing is, students did not need Slim for it to be okay to talk to black people, use their slang or even dress like them.

The whole distinction between what is black and what is white in America should stop.

If what we each had to dress like was designated by our skin color, or what was invented by our individual races, we could never interact.

There would be no black basketball players.

Black people would not be allowed to wear suits and ties.

White people could not listen to Rock and Roll, eat peanut butter, or use traffic lights.

Eminem represents the barriers in our country rather than the breaking-down of barriers.

It is okay to listen to black music; it is just music.

It is okay to associate with black Americans -- they are just people. Eminem did not make it okay. It was okay before he ever arrived on the scene.

Eminem is not the key to unlocking the door separating races. The door is already open, just walk through.

Very straight up and the goddamn truth. Later, QD.

carrascopa
03-26-2005, 10:55 PM
he lost all credibility for me when he said "great emcees, past and present. He is not as influential as De La Soul or NWA, nor is he as creative as Cee-Lo or Dizzy Rascal. He has no message for political or social change like J-Live or A Tribe Called Quest and he does not come close to the type of energizing flow of Busta Rhymes or Biz Markie"

and did not mention tupac....

now i can sum this whole colum up in a few statements.. he is saying that eminem does not rap about real shit only wife bashing self pitty shit with little to no contributions to social issues in america.. well isnt broken homes, drug addict mother growing up as a bastard without a father represent a large majority of people in america black and white?? he preaches on that shit.. he also talks about missing his daughter .. is nt it also representative of american males who miss their children because their bitch ass ex wont let em see them?? i think the author has his head up his ass.. now let me quote eminem real quick

"you motherfuckers want to judge me cuz your not me, you'll never stop me, im top speed till you pop me.. i came to save this new generation of babies from parents who failed to raise them cuz their lazy"

thats just one excerpt from fight music but it is a good example of what he is about. i think his message is often missed.. he is writing/rapping about a white kids trials and tribulations he may not have to deal with crack sales and drive by's but fuck! he grew up with out a father as i did and you too Q .. he hates his mom as i often do.. he hates his ex wife just like i do.. ... he is an icon for white young troubled youth!

you have to get out of the traditional good rap artist box to understand what he is saying!

just the fact that this guy wrote an article stating that eminem should not be compared to the best MC's of past and present is a compliment to ems talent.

You dont hear people arguing that twista is the next tupac nor do you hear people opposing it? twista is a bomb ass rapper and he rhymes about real shit.. but he is n ot on the same level as a pac or eminem..

Eminem like it or not is one of the best to hit the mic.. he has a message he portrays it well he sells records and he is 100% hip hop about it all. HE is not gangsta nor does he claim to be a G which gives me respect for him as well. he just had a fucked up life as most of us did.

FrnkPwrs
03-26-2005, 11:05 PM
he lost all credibility for me when he said "great emcees, past and present. He is not as influential as De La Soul or NWA, nor is he as creative as Cee-Lo or Dizzy Rascal.
Cee-Lo... EXTEMELY CREATIVE. Just wanted to point that out

well isnt broken homes, drug addict mother growing up as a bastard without a father represent a large majority of people in america black and white?? he preaches on that shit.. he also talks about missing his daughter .. is nt it also representative of american males who miss their children because their bitch ass ex wont let em see them?? ...

...he is writing/rapping about a white kids trials and tribulations he may not have to deal with crack sales and drive by's but fuck! he grew up with out a father as i did and you too Q .. he hates his mom as i often do.. he hates his ex wife just like i do.. ... he is an icon for white young troubled youth!

You konw what I can agree with you 100% on that alex. I met this white girl fom detroit, and just talking to her, detroit is serious about popping pills, trailors, etc. etc. etc. Then I talked to some other people from Detroit and they were black and its the same thing! Popping pills, crazy ass "eminem type shit". So thats why I said in the other thread that I can respect what he writes a little bit more clear now, because I actually got a taste of what his hood is like, so its struggle for more than white america, because in detroit, those stories are common for the blacks, latins, asians, just everybody just in the hood.

He has talent, my gripe is just that I wish I can get the em that we all see on mixtapes and other peoples CDs more often!

quickdodge®
03-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Agreed, Frank. I never said he wasn't talented. Or gifted. He is a great lyricist. Not the best. I just personally don't like his stuff. Later, QD.

Julio
03-27-2005, 01:18 PM
That article is Ghey... M is the man, like it or not. Do people not understand that all entertainers are here to make money.

Big Rick
03-27-2005, 03:53 PM
i say give it a couple more years and u'll see the industry start to fall apart with so many people burning CD's now adays and so many more learning, producers and artist like its happening now will continue to pay millions to stop piracy. But its funny, mixtapes are selling like hot cakes, i think once they put a stop to limewire and programs like that, artist will stop selling out and bringin real rap again. with the industry how it is right now its really hard for the underground to come up. seriously, listen to alot of the underground stuff and u'll see how good some of those people who still workin a 9-5 are.

example, look at Outkast, look back in the days where the WHOLE outkast CD was good and look at the outkast CD to date. Garbage. like i always say, "Put 2-3 videos on the TV, and watch everyone buy the CD"

Big Rick
03-27-2005, 03:55 PM
BTW its been good listening to points of views from different angles

quickdodge®
03-27-2005, 05:45 PM
That article is Ghey...

But there is a lot of truth in it. Lolol. Later, QD.

JustinSane110™
04-11-2005, 04:19 PM
He has talent, my gripe is just that I wish I can get the em that we all see on mixtapes and other peoples CDs more often!
Exactly, I didnt like Eminem at first because My Name Is annoyed the hell out of me and his style at the time seemed too unorthodox (sp?). Then next album he improved a lot, but the Eminem show was a damn good album IMO, easy to listen to from start to finish. Encore on the other hand seemed almost like a trainwreck, his flows seemed like he was trying to rhyme things that had no business going together like he had a relapse to his first album, then he turns around and puts down a verse on We Ain't for The Game, and Gatman and Robbin for 50 and blew away anything he had on Encore. Did the same thing on Patiently Waiting, and D12 World too. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks his verses on other songs are better than his own stuff, hehe.

I guess it's because he can put more creativity into just one verse rather than an entire album, so looking from that aspect it really makes sense.

LS2ner
04-12-2005, 08:41 PM
The whole article is propaganda! This is why

"If students take a close look at the history of Eminem, they might see something interesting. Who first responded to Eminem? Those hip-hop die hards? The black community?

No, it was white kids from the suburbs. "

Eminem's whole crew is black. He obtained most of his credibility from doing the Rap olympics and other such events. The black community knew about him before the white community did.

quickdodge®
04-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Yea, but white America as a whole took to him before blacks did. He makes well over 3/4 of his money off middle-class white kids. Later, QD.

SaraX5
04-13-2005, 01:10 AM
I looove em... but his last cd was extremely dissappointing

Greddypacked
04-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Read what the guys title is OPINION Columnist, which pretty much describes what the guys job is. He would have something to say about anyone. Just a low sucka try to get his deal in media. I hate those people, i just hope i never come across one the wrong way cuz he might get "Knock the f.ck out"!:slap: :boohoo: Just like Papparazi's and what not, they get on peoples nerves and get into celebs private life, some should get jailed for it.

Tracy
04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
example, look at Outkast, look back in the days where the WHOLE outkast CD was good and look at the outkast CD to date. Garbage. like i always say, "Put 2-3 videos on the TV, and watch everyone buy the CD"

I agree on this. I have every Oukast CD ever made. I hate the new Outkast
:(

quickdodge®
04-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Read what the guys title is OPINION Columnist, which pretty much describes what the guys job is. He would have something to say about anyone. Just a low sucka try to get his deal in media. I hate those people, i just hope i never come across one the wrong way cuz he might get "Knock the f.ck out"!:slap: :boohoo: Just like Papparazi's and what not, they get on peoples nerves and get into celebs private life, some should get jailed for it.

Awwwww, isn't that sweet? A Feminem groupie. Groupie Love. Later, QD.

Negrodamus
04-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Eminem is the most overrated entertainer "rapper" of all time strictly opinion, but the point is... that if eminem was black or any other race everyone whites and blacks included would just say is flow is just "OK" he would be a mediocre i.e on the level of rappers such as Nore, Method Man or Cormega the only edge is that eminem is white. and when shit hits the fan all his fans say ohhh he can battle eminem would last a day in the Fight Club mixtapes i highly doubt he could even go 2 rounds with Cassidy or even Jin thats right i said it jin. And when u think about who of any true talent has eminem really battled... cheapshots at Ja rule while his career was pretty much over or the highly "talented...in a scarcastic voice" Benzino. Oh not to mention eminem battled the freestyle king pin The fresh Prince :D

BTW 8 Mile was just a remake of the early 80's hit Flashdance.

Negrodamus
04-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Eminem fans wouldn't know true hip hop if it hit'em in the face.

Big Rick
04-14-2005, 02:05 AM

hahaha sooo tru

quickdodge®
04-14-2005, 04:29 AM

That's straight up. Later, QD.

bicsintegra
05-20-2005, 09:48 AM
i hated eminem because of that my name is bullshit that was the whackest stunt he could have pulled. but white america ate it up. then i heard his song on the sway and tech album. he is a good lyricist one of the best in the game but is that hard. that's like saying your one of the best point gaurds in the nba. look at the comp. jordan, bird, isiah, magic, kareem, ewing, all gone form the game. biggie, pac, jay-z, tribe, nwa, all gone from the game. he is good but not great. and he does talk about more than just killin' his baby mama and poppin' pills. "where were you when little terrence jumped off the terrace? you wasn't watching him apparently you ain't parents." when i heard that i knew he was nice.
the problem with eminem is he is white and pointing a finger at white america and they do not like it one bit. on top of that the kids are listening and agreeing with what he says 100% and middle class america is scared. just like when bill cosby said those remarks about black people he was absolutely right but black people didn't want to hear it.