PDA

View Full Version : Misc carputer

jrobbins30041
10-13-2005, 01:36 AM
well I was sitting here thinking what might be a fun car project for me to do since im selling my neon next yr and whatever I do I want to be able to transfer everything over to the new car. Then it hit me. Carputer! SO I was doing some research and I know I could build my own computer and use that or just find an old used one... But ill problly end up building my own because I enjoy doing that... anyway would something like this work on a regular cpu video card: (see pic below) and could I just hook it up to a power strip connected to a ac/dc power adapter connected to cigarette lighter (cause I want to be able to have connectors for other things too) or would having a bunch of things connected to it cause car damage? also how would I install pc speakers inside a car? and how would I get internet access on it if I wanted too? basically I want to use this to run a map program on cd rom, store all of my car repairs, etc on ms word, maybe 1 or 2 other things.

RandomGuy
10-13-2005, 01:36 AM
well I was sitting here thinking what might be a fun car project for me to do since im selling my neon next yr and whatever I do I want to be able to transfer everything over to the new car. Then it hit me. Carputer! SO I was doing some research and I know I could build my own computer and use that or just find an old used one... But ill problly end up building my own because I enjoy doing that... anyway would something like this work on a regular cpu video card: (see pic below) and could I just hook it up to a power strip connected to a ac/dc power adapter connected to cigarette lighter (cause I want to be able to have connectors for other things too) or would having a bunch of things connected to it cause car damage? also how would I install pc speakers inside a car? basically I want to use this to run a map program on cd rom, store all of my car repairs, etc on ms word, maybe 1 or 2 other things.
good idea... spend all that money/time to have that shit jacked 2 weeks after ur finished :(

ahmonrah
10-13-2005, 01:49 AM
my ? is , why put pc speakers in your CAR anyway?? unless you have a
http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/e/55/e137855.001?$proddetailmain$ in your car and pc speakeers would be an upgrade ....

speedminded
10-13-2005, 01:49 AM
One of the problems you'll run into is using a desktop computer harddrive, they don't really think too kindly of being abused...bumps, temperature changes, etc...Probably be best to find a parts laptop with a trashed LCD and work from there.

You would need a video-out on the graphics card (composite, s, or whatever the screen has inputs for). As for power you might as well hardwire it into an inverter...using relays, fuses, etc. You don't want to have wires/cables running all around inside your car...having to worry about accidently bumping and unplugging something, etc.

For sound you could easily wire it up to a pair of tweeters on the pillars or doors but wouldn't you just want to run it through the stereo so you can play MP3's and movies on the "carputer"...just a simple FM modulator would do the trick.

SilverJester
10-13-2005, 02:01 AM
I had one mounted in the trunk of my talon (before the bitch rear ended and smashed it). I used a Via Epia M1000 motherboard which is a mini-itx (it's about the size of a mouse pad). It has just about everything on-board, including the processor, video card (which has tv out, meaning you can connect to just about any monitor/screen). I used a 7 inch flip out screen with built in touch screen (which is up for sale if you want), it takes up one DIN slot. I used an opus solutions 150watt power supply which is design for in car computers (I hate the term "carputer") wires straight to your car and plugs directly into a motherboard like any other psu (also up for sale). Then I just bought a stick of RAM and a hard drive. I was in the process of lookin into a dvd player, was still decideing between slot load drive which was as big as a normal desktop drive, or a slim line drive from a laptop. Once I get some my car's performance done I really want to get another in car computer. but that won't be for another year or 2. It was really nice to have a huge music library always at hand, not to mention the videos and the would-be soon to come gps navigation.

oh as for the speakers, the first thing I tried was an FM modulator but didn't like the audio quality. So I bought a new head unit (nothing too flashy), a low end pioneer, becuase with any pioneer that has the option for a cd changer (the port in back), you can buy an audio in adapter (which was like $30). You could also buy a cheap dual (aka jensen) headunit as they all come with audio in.

SilverJester
10-13-2005, 02:06 AM
One of the problems you'll run into is using a desktop computer harddrive, they don't really think too kindly of being abused...bumps, temperature changes, etc...Probably be best to find a parts laptop with a trashed LCD and work from there.

You would need a video-out on the graphics card (composite, s, or whatever the screen has inputs for). As for power you might as well hardwire it into an inverter...using relays, fuses, etc. You don't want to have wires/cables running all around inside your car...having to worry about accidently bumping and unplugging something, etc.

For sound you could easily wire it up to a pair of tweeters on the pillars or doors but wouldn't you just want to run it through the stereo so you can play MP3's and movies on the "carputer"...just a simple FM modulator would do the trick.
I used a desktop harddrive (80gig western digital) for 1 1/2 years and it held up fine on my everyday car. Just mount the drive side ways, which should keep the disks from getting scratched. I really recommend he Epia M1000 it's not that expensive, takes up little space, and takes little power which are all things you want to look at when making a car computer. It has both s video out and composite out, and a 5.1 surround sound all on board.

speedminded
10-13-2005, 02:59 AM
I had one mounted in the trunk of my talon (before the bitch rear ended and smashed it). I used a Via Epia M1000 motherboard which is a mini-itx (it's about the size of a mouse pad). It has just about everything on-board, including the processor, video card (which has tv out, meaning you can connect to just about any monitor/screen). I used a 7 inch flip out screen with built in touch screen (which is up for sale if you want), it takes up one DIN slot. I used an opus solutions 150watt power supply which is design for in car computers (I hate the term "carputer") wires straight to your car and plugs directly into a motherboard like any other psu (also up for sale). Then I just bought a stick of RAM and a hard drive. I was in the process of lookin into a dvd player, was still decideing between slot load drive which was as big as a normal desktop drive, or a slim line drive from a laptop. Once I get some my car's performance done I really want to get another in car computer. but that won't be for another year or 2. It was really nice to have a huge music library always at hand, not to mention the videos and the would-be soon to come gps navigation.

oh as for the speakers, the first thing I tried was an FM modulator but didn't like the audio quality. So I bought a new head unit (nothing too flashy), a low end pioneer, becuase with any pioneer that has the option for a cd changer (the port in back), you can buy an audio in adapter (which was like $30). You could also buy a cheap dual (aka jensen) headunit as they all come with audio in.

I used a desktop harddrive (80gig western digital) for 1 1/2 years and it held up fine on my everyday car. Just mount the drive side ways, which should keep the disks from getting scratched. I really recommend he Epia M1000 it's not that expensive, takes up little space, and takes little power which are all things you want to look at when making a car computer. It has both s video out and composite out, and a 5.1 surround sound all on board.Good info, i was building one for my Land Rover...Got a slot-in DVD player for $15 off uBid and a single slot unit that controls 7 fans with temperature sensors, temperature alarms, etc. Started fabricating the case, just the right size to use as a center console/armrest on the rear seats, and had a 7" slideout/flip up LCD in the dash. With 1024MB ram and the only thing i needed to finish it was a good graphics card with both video in and out...have a few minature cameras [to make rock crawling vids with] and was planning to run the Earthmate gps receiver and Street Atlas program with the 3D elevations...overlay that info with the videos's for some crazy off-road compelations. At 13mpg on premium, not to mention parts, that project got a bit expensive.

Now i wanna build one for the car using a laptop or shuttle for a stand alone ECU/Tuning, gps mapping (trackmate), record the in-car cameras, music, etc. Seen a few mini keyboards with programmable keys...

Hulud
10-13-2005, 03:15 AM
cum-puter, yea?

SilverJester
10-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Good info, i was building one for my Land Rover...Got a slot-in DVD player for $15 off uBid and a single slot unit that controls 7 fans with temperature sensors, temperature alarms, etc. Started fabricating the case, just the right size to use as a center console/armrest on the rear seats, and had a 7" slideout/flip up LCD in the dash. With 1024MB ram and the only thing i needed to finish it was a good graphics card with both video in and out...have a few minature cameras [to make rock crawling vids with] and was planning to run the Earthmate gps receiver and Street Atlas program with the 3D elevations...overlay that info with the videos's for some crazy off-road compelations. At 13mpg on premium, not to mention parts, that project got a bit expensive.

Now i wanna build one for the car using a laptop or shuttle for a stand alone ECU/Tuning, gps mapping (trackmate), record the in-car cameras, music, etc. Seen a few mini keyboards with programmable keys...
Yeah I wanted to mount a camera down near the bottom of the front bumper and see what kinda of cool low angle video I could get. Shuttles are defintiely nice but they cost more just because the cou is slotted therefore upgradable vs the Epias which are not. But then again for what I was using it for (mp3s, gps, videos, tuning) I would never have the need to go beyond the processor on the m1000 (which is a 1ghz, but when compared to an intel or AMD is closer to a p3 500mhz). So the cheaper alternative was all I needed.

David88vert
10-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Go to mp3car.com and you will be able to do all of the research that you need.

5thgcelica
10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
ive got one...
if you go to build on your own getting a shuttle xp case or some miniatx or microITX board.

you can do audio two ways, run it to an amp and run new wire from you speakers to the amp (night mare), or have a head unit that allows for a line in. easiest and if you ever decide you want to listen to a cd real quick, you can.

power..just get an inverter hardwire it in. ive got 400w and have no issues what so ever.

with the lcd screen, just keep in mind you also need to run a 12v power source to it.

if you've got any questions concernts ask me, im sure ive been through it. lol.

speedminded
10-15-2005, 01:06 PM
A book i saw the other day...

Geek My Ride : Build the Ultimate Tech Rod by Auri Rahimzadeh, Steve Wozniak

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0764578766.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg