PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for Ebay & Paypal spoof emails

SaraX5
10-12-2005, 11:24 PM
This has happened to several of my friends, Derek, and me. We have all been getting emails looking legit from Ebay & Paypal either saying that someone has added their name to our paypal accounts or that we need to update our Ebay information and/or credit card information with a link on the email to click that takes you to an exact Ebay &/or Paypal replica website. This is apparently a new thing going on to where if you click on it they get ALL your information. Anyways I just wanted to warn everyone and DO NOT click on any links if you get those emails.
And send it to [email protected]

HyPer50
10-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Yup, I've got 2 emails from them in 2 months... It's kinda scary because they really are official looking, but I wouldn't ever fall for em... but it worries me cause my mom uses ebay occasionally and she isn't exactly internet savvy.

Schugg
10-12-2005, 11:29 PM
damn, how do you get these?? cause i just went and updated my paypal, ebay, and all those accounts, and it sent me a email for changing my email, names, and all that. i wouldnt have noticed if it was a real or fake one. but as long as it comes at some random time when it says u did something u didnt, i shouldnt screw my self over.

SaraX5
10-12-2005, 11:31 PM
yea I know one of my friends is the same way and she put up her credit card info.

SaraX5
10-12-2005, 11:32 PM
well you just gotta check with everything and email it to ebay first and theyll give you an OK or a "this is spoof" email very quickly

HyPer50
10-12-2005, 11:35 PM
damn, how do you get these?? cause i just went and updated my paypal, ebay, and all those accounts, and it sent me a email for changing my email, names, and all that. i wouldnt have noticed if it was a real or fake one. but as long as it comes at some random time when it says u did something u didnt, i shouldnt screw my self over.

Eh, you can't really tell if they are fake... aside from looking at the links like for instance, one of the links in the email i recieved appeared as https://signin.ebay.com but when you clicked on it, it took you to https://signin.ebay.com.dli5.us.... and it looked totally legit. basically, if you ever recieve an email and have any doubts, go to the REAL site your self (not by clicking on a link in the email) and signing in... usually if there is a problem with your account, it will let you know when you log in.

Schugg
10-12-2005, 11:36 PM
damn, i need to go change my passwords again! i dont know if i went though and email or my bookmarks.

AtifSajid
10-13-2005, 07:07 AM
I been getting those emails for like 6 months now, at first I was a little concerned, but didnt actually do anything about it, because I have talked to both companies before and they said they wouldnt send an email they would call.

Jaimecbr900
10-13-2005, 08:19 AM
My sister got one about paypal. She sent it in to the real Ebay and they replied back to her that Ebay would never address anyone as "Dear Ebayer" or anything of the like. They would address you by your name. They also told her that they would never ask for that kind of info via any emails.

Be careful.

Kristi
10-13-2005, 08:25 AM
i've gotten those and realize they are crap - they give you links to fix or verify your information and if you actually look at the URL - it isn't ebay or paypal. they are pretty clever. I stopped james a month or so ago from updating this false crap. :)