PDA

View Full Version : "Pacing Speeding Ticket"

G.C
09-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Me and my boys were heading back home from athens last night. We were in the Hov lane going around 75 the most.

We see this cop driving on the right side of the highway. Thought to my self, no big deal, 10mph over won't get me pulled over.

Well, few minutes later, this cop cuts 3 lanes over and comes right behind me. I say that shit is way more dangerous than 10mph over but yeah, as soon as he gets behind me, he turns his light on and pulls me over.

He gave me a ticket for 81 in a 65.
He told me that he was following me for 1/2 a mile and i was going 81 the whole time.

But everyone in the car knew that was some bullshit because i was making sure i wasn't going over 10mph.

Can i beat this ticket? or should i just pay for it and save my time???

I know dam well this time, that i wasn't going the speed limit that he told me i was going. And he didn't follow behind me for 1/2 a mile.

But i have no evidence that i wasn't going 81, and i feel like they will believe what the cop says.

Catnip
09-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Me and my boys were heading back home from athens last night. We were in the Hov lane going around 75 the most.

We see this cop driving on the right side of the highway. Thought to my self, no big deal, 10mph over won't get me pulled over.

Well, few minutes later, this cop cuts 3 lanes over and comes right behind me. I say that shit is way more dangerous than 10mph over but yeah, as soon as he gets behind me, he turns his light on and pulls me over.

He told me that he was following me for 1/2 a mile and i was going 81 the whole time.

But everyone in the car knew that was some bullshit because i was making sure i wasn't going over 10mph.

I know dam well this time, that i wasn't going the speed limit that he told me i was going. And he didn't follow behind me for 1/2 a mile.

But i have no evidence that i wasn't going 81, and i feel like they will believe what the cop says.

Ask to view the in-car video of him following you for a half mile?

speedminded
09-18-2009, 02:19 AM

But i have no evidence that i wasn't going 81, and i feel like they will believe what the cop says.How convenient, 16 over. What county?

Ask to view the in-car video of him following you for a half mile?You gotta do it soon, that shit gets recorded over if there are no incidences. Call and request it ASAP. It's 100% public information.

Show me the law that says it's a half mile. Hell, show me any law regarding pacing lol.

J-ROCK
09-18-2009, 02:20 AM
and also ask for the proof that you where goin 81

speedminded
09-18-2009, 02:33 AM
and also ask for the proof that you where goin 81Don't need "proof" in Georgia. There is no law stating they have to show the radar gun or laser and certainly can't show the officers cars speedometer (other than on video). Anyone trained and certified to use radar is certified to pace yet I have never seen a law regarding pacing. I would contest it with monster truck force asking why he wasn't using radar because he was seen on the side of the road.

Personally I would have a friend call ASAP in the morning and state they are "so and so" representing "G.C." in a traffic violation that occurred at X hours giving the officers name and badge number. It is MANDATORY the video is saved and request for it. It is public information but I don't know the regulations on giving it out. It will be recorded over if it's not immediately requested. Always always record anyones names that are spoken to with the exact time and date. Be as precise as possible about it.

Doppelgänger
09-18-2009, 06:41 AM
How convenient, 16 over.

this.

Greddypacked
09-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Wow you shouldnt of been doing 10 over if you knew cops were around. The economy blows cops will try to get money when they can. Dont risk it, slow down.

WhiteAccord
09-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Wow you shouldnt of been doing 10 over if you knew cops were around. The economy blows cops will try to get money when they can. Dont risk it, slow down.

Most ignorant comment over. 10 over is fair enough. Hell EVERYONE does at least 10 over on the highway (disregarding asian drivers and old people).

Lets see you do 55 on the highway all day.

DriVaH
09-18-2009, 12:07 PM
fuck the police!!!!!

ISAtlanta300
09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Most ignorant comment over. 10 over is fair enough. Hell EVERYONE does at least 10 over on the highway (disregarding asian drivers and old people).

Lets see you do 55 on the highway all day.

I don't see the ignorance in his post... if I knew a cop was behind me, I would slow down...

whether everyone is over 10mph or not... bottomline is, you WERE over the SPEED LIMIT.

It sucks, I know....... but you WERE breaking the law.... cop just happened to pick you :(

speedminded
09-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't see the ignorance in his post... if I knew a cop was behind me, I would slow down...

whether everyone is over 10mph or not... bottomline is, you WERE over the SPEED LIMIT.

It sucks, I know....... but you WERE breaking the law.... cop just happened to pick you :(A county or city officer can't write you a ticket for 10 or less over. Eleven (11) yes but not ten (10). Fourteen (14) or less over is the same as a non-moving violation and no points will be added. He was written a ticket for 16 over which will most likely get reduced to 14 over if he goes to court and he simply pays the fine. If the officer wrote him for 11-14 over it most likely would be thrown out by the judge or solicitor with them laughing at the officer and they wouldn't get any money, hence why I said "conveniently 16 over".

Greddypacked
09-18-2009, 12:47 PM
A county or city officer can't write you a ticket for 10 or less over. Eleven (11) yes but not ten (10). Fourteen (14) or less over is the same as a non-moving violation and no points will be added.

Lol I got a speeding ticket for 10 over in Indiana last year. My ticket was over 100.00 bucks. So would you rather spend that on a 10mph over ticket w/ no points, or pay bills, party, take out your girl, and do alot more than paying a 100 dollar ticket... just saying.

04sleepa
09-18-2009, 12:53 PM
if you go to court remember..the officers job is to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the offense. the way to win it is to discredit him or make it hard for him to prove!!

JEY$JDM
09-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I do not know shit.

LOL

speedminded
09-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Lol I got a speeding ticket for 10 over in Indiana last year. My ticket was over 100.00 bucks. So would you rather spend that on a 10mph over ticket w/ no points, or pay bills, party, take out your girl, and do alot more than paying a 100 dollar ticket... just saying.Small or college town? Did they harass you about drinking or search your car? I've stayed all over Indiana and have been warned about particular smaller college towns looking to make a quick buck.

speedminded
09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
You should have asked to see the radar gun.

If its yo first ticket, no low and ya just pay the ticket.

Then, it aint on yo record.

I guess...? LOL

Thats what I did.1) There is no law that states they have to show it. He clearly specified he paced anyways.

2) Why would someone waste their only Nolo for 5 years on a 16 over ticket?

3) I bet it will get dropped to 14 over anyways. That's how it works.

4) Guess again...lol

Greddypacked
09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Small or college town? Did they harass you about drinking or search your car? I've stayed all over Indiana and have been warned about particular smaller college towns looking to make a quick buck.

Nah man not even close to a college, just got off the highway and no speedlimits sign posted. Went down a 55 mph backroad. He pulled me over right at the first speedlimit sign lol. I would have fought it but I live here and am not hiring a lawyer to appear in court for me for a 100.00 ticket lol.

speedminded
09-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Nah man not even close to a college, just got off the highway and no speedlimits sign posted. Went down a 55 mph backroad. He pulled me over right at the first speedlimit sign lol. I would have fought it but I live here and am not hiring a lawyer to appear in court for me for a 100.00 ticket lol.Yeah, people say Georgia has crooked laws and crooked cops but we actually have some of the best laws that protect us. It is unlawful for an officer in Georgia to sit within 500 feet of a change of speed limit sign or a 'Speed Detection Devices In Use' warning sign. Their vehicle also must to be visible within 500'. Hiding under a bridge in the shadow on a motorcycle while you're staring into the sun is illegal, I've seen it done on both Hwy. 400 and on Hwy. 78 south right at the 285 exit split.

The question in your case is what was the speed BEFORE the speed limit sign. Was it the same or did it just drop 10 mph. Always have to be careful when out of state because they know the chances of you knowing their laws or attempting to fight a minor citation is slim.

Greddypacked
09-18-2009, 01:13 PM
The question in your case is what was the speed BEFORE the speed limit sign. Was it the same or did it just drop 10 mph. Always have to be careful when out of state because they know the chances of you knowing their laws or attempting to fight a minor citation is slim.

He was actually driving and did a uturn on me and pulled me over right before the first speedlimit sign. I know I could have fought and won but got no points and just paid the fine.

JEY$JDM
09-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I used my nolo on my only speeding ticket and it was for 82 in a 55...
But 16 over? I guess I wouldn't use it either lol

speedminded
09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I used my nolo on my only speeding ticket and it was for 82 in a 55...
But 16 over? I guess I wouldn't use it either lolYeahhh, 27 is a big difference lol...about 3mph short of a night at the local bed & breakfast.

JEY$JDM
09-18-2009, 03:54 PM
LOL

Hell yeah...

gtikid
09-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah, people say Georgia has crooked laws and crooked cops but we actually have some of the best laws that protect us. It is unlawful for an officer in Georgia to sit within 500 feet of a change of speed limit sign or a 'Speed Detection Devices In Use' warning sign. Their vehicle also must to be visible within 500'. Hiding under a bridge in the shadow on a motorcycle while you're staring into the sun is illegal, I've seen it done on both Hwy. 400 and on Hwy. 78 south right at the 285 exit split.

So if you're coming around the corner/turn, and can't see the vehicle within 500 feet and they catch you going over the speed limit, you have a case?

carbon_crash
09-18-2009, 05:14 PM
So if you're coming around the corner/turn, and can't see the vehicle within 500 feet and they catch you going over the speed limit, you have a case?

Go to court and fight it. More than likely, it will get dropped. Its basically your word against his. On the ticket, how does it say he recorded your speed? jw if it says "pacing". I have had a friend deal with this same thing before and he went to court and it got dropped.

speedminded
09-18-2009, 06:01 PM
So if you're coming around the corner/turn, and can't see the vehicle within 500 feet and they catch you going over the speed limit, you have a case?Yes. You will need a way to prove where they were sitting was less than 500 feet visibility though.

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 14. USE OF SPEED DETECTION AND TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNAL MONITORING DEVICES
ARTICLE 2. SPEED DETECTION DEVICES

40-14-7. Visibility of vehicle from which device is operated

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

Another, when evidence is inadmissible...

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 14. USE OF SPEED DETECTION AND TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNAL MONITORING DEVICES
ARTICLE 2. SPEED DETECTION DEVICES

40-14-9. Evidence obtained in certain areas inadmissible; use of device on hill

Evidence obtained by county or municipal law enforcement officers in using speed detection devices within 300 feet of a reduction of a speed limit inside an incorporated municipality or within 600 feet of a reduction of a speed limit outside an incorporated municipality or consolidated city-county government shall be inadmissible in the prosecution of a violation of any municipal ordinance, county ordinance, or state law regulating speed; nor shall such evidence be admissible in the prosecution of a violation as aforesaid when such violation has occurred within 30 days following a reduction of the speed limit in the area where the violation took place, except that this 30 day limitation shall not apply to a speeding violation within a highway work zone, as defined in Code Section 40-6-188. No speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, or campus law enforcement officers on any portion of any highway which has a grade in excess of 7 percent.

gtikid
09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Go to court and fight it. More than likely, it will get dropped. Its basically your word against his. On the ticket, how does it say he recorded your speed? jw if it says "pacing". I have had a friend deal with this same thing before and he went to court and it got dropped.

I never got a ticket for it, I was just using an example :D

gtikid
09-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Yes. You will need a way to prove where they were sitting was less than 500 feet visibility though.

Another, when evidence is inadmissible...

Good to know :goodjob:

ScrapMetalDSM
09-18-2009, 09:25 PM
I got a pacing ticket for 20 over, but because I was a Criminal Justice major, she dropped it down to 14 over. Because of that, i didnt bother fighting it just paid it.

As long as they can prove that they have calibrated their speedometer, then you will loose the case. As for the in car camera, it will not show the speedometer and only faces front, so if the cop was beside you, you wont be on video. I interned with Gwinnett Police so I learned and experienced all of this.

speedminded
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I got a pacing ticket for 20 over, but because I was a Criminal Justice major, she dropped it down to 14 over. Because of that, i didnt bother fighting it just paid it.

As long as they can prove that they have calibrated their speedometer, then you will loose the case. As for the in car camera, it will not show the speedometer and only faces front, so if the cop was beside you, you wont be on video. I interned with Gwinnett Police so I learned and experienced all of this.The video should have the speed recorded on it with the time stamp and ID.

ScrapMetalDSM
09-18-2009, 09:52 PM
The video should have the speed recorded on it with the time stamp and ID.

Was this in Gwinnett OP? If so read on...

The video, which likely doesnt exist because MOST GPD officers do not have in car cameras, and if they do it is their police issued or personal digi cam literally velcroed to the dash. The only officers that have in car videos setup with time stamps/speed are the DUI task force along with a few other specialty units. DUI task force's setup is pretty cool, the officer has a microphone on his belt which records the audio while out of car (doing field sobriety test etc) and the camera logs the audio with the video. The cameras turn on right when they hit the blue lights. There is also a camera hidden in the rear view mirror facing the back seat so if your ever arrested by a DUI task force officer just sit there, shut up, and dont make a fool out of yourself.

.blank cd
09-19-2009, 11:44 PM
if you go to court remember..the officers job is to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the offense. the way to win it is to discredit him or make it hard for him to prove!!
this

is the smartest answer in this thread

.blank cd
09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
However, everything that speedminded posted up there is golden.